1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Do You Want To Be Listed In Dmoz?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by crowbar, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I've seen conversations here and other places that google does care about such things, but how they do it I do not know...

Domain age and link age are both topics to look into if you are truly interested, and from what I've seen in this forum, you may do better to check out other boards on DP to find your answer ;)

Qryztufre, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  2. wildogre

wildogre Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its considered to be one of most prestigious link directory that's why :)

wildogre, Sep 18, 2009 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  3. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm afraid I have to disagree. With all the corruption/self-promotion claims out there I think DMOZ is far from being prestigious. Furthermore, there are broken links all over the site. Entries pointing to sites abandoned or spammy.
    It may be prestigious a long time ago. But, as for today I don't think so.

caprichoso, Sep 18, 2009 IP
  4. ijustwanttoknow

ijustwanttoknow Active Member

Best Answers:
    prestige, maybe..
    we all know that DMOZ is hard to get listed.. then, if we can get listed there, it can "boost up" some prestige.. and maybe the domain or website's price, if we're going to sell them.. :p

ijustwanttoknow, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  5. sophieharris91

sophieharris91 Peon

Best Answers:
    I do agree but sometimes quality factor can not be avoided. So to get a listing in dmoz should be for quality users.

sophieharris91, Sep 28, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo and Anonymously like this.
  6. cscholberg

cscholberg Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems that getting listed in DMOZ is not as useful as it once was, though it automatically gains one a Google Diretory listing. My friend's websites (do not know URLs) were listed in DMOZ after a long waiting period, but it had no real effect on his SERPs. Still, it may help his backlinking in time, though.

cscholberg, Sep 28, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  7. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    If you submit a low quality site to DMOZ to a non-abandoned category and an editor happens to take a look to it. You are giving him the perfect excuse for not listing your URL.

BUT, quality seem to be very subjective in DMOZ. If you ask average web user about site quality, most probably you will get web design as first factor. In that sense, I agree with what DMOZ editors "say" about web quality. Good content goes first.
    Nevertheless, what DMOZ editors say about web sites quality is far from what you see listed on DMOZ. And that's what happens with every rule you can find on DMOZ guidelines. If you check the directory, it doesn't match them.

The first time you see that you go to ask an editor which one is wrong? And you get a bunch of ambiguous answers. You learn, sooner or later, that there is nothing wrong as long as it serves some interests. If an editor listed a site on DMOZ, it doesn't matter how far from the guidelines it is. It will stay there. You can check this forum for a bunch of reported sites (violating the "rules"). You will see that those are still listed on the directory, too.

caprichoso, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  8. downloadvyp

downloadvyp Peon

Best Answers:
    because is the best web directory.at least the most known

downloadvyp, Sep 28, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo and Anonymously like this.
  9. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If a site does not comply with our guidelines, there is a button one very page where you can report it. It will be investigated, but don't believe that we use Digital Point forums for updates.

Anonymously, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  10. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah sure :) and where's the point to report those mess from the directory ? here are also tools witch check this type of abuse or at least dmoz editors pretend to be ... anyway it's not important to report all this spam , for most of the peoples with more than 2 cell brains I think most important it's WHY this spam links was added ? here it's the problem and that's most of the peoples looking for . And I`m pretty sure here are hundreds even more spam links on the directory witch aren't comply with the guidelines , actually they are breaking them

trustnobodynever, Sep 29, 2009 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Where does the report go when it's reported? Right to the very people that are being reported! If you don't bother to look into issues posted in public forums, then why do you bother to use public forums for finding sites? (you is used generically, I know the good revr uses his QUEUE in and lists the sites in proper order!)

I also find it strange that any editor bothered to even mention or comment on the shoemoney issue, I mean, that wasn't reported through the official channels, but got editors all in a buzz all over the net.

Though, you are correct most likely... why bother with valid complaints posted outside of the report system. It's not like the rest of the world can see them...and PROVE they are valid. Post it behind closed doors and you can DENY DENY DENY!

Qryztufre, Sep 29, 2009 IP
  12. issagh198

issagh198 Peon

Best Answers:
    If your site get listed in Dmoz you will get a higher page rank

issagh198, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I had a PR3 before I submitted and for over a year after I got approved. Mind giving me your own personal experience, or are you just saying what a 5 year old blog told you to say?

Qryztufre, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  14. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Post it here and get ignored, IGNORED< IGNORED. Whoops sorry just caught that on the swing of Q's post.

Anonymously, Nov 8, 2009 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Use the report feature and get IGNORED, IGNORED, IGNORED...

Where as, by posting here I have had SEVERAL issues in the ODP resolved... of course I am still working on the NON-UNIQUE topix listings... but you have to admit it worked wonders for the CNN listings. :D

Qryztufre, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  16. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    DMOZ editors what us to make our claims through the report button because that way nobody knows your claim is being ignored.
    Of course, making claims here lead us to the same result most of the time. BUT, at least other people can learn about DMOZ and its corruption. And see living proof of it.

caprichoso, Nov 9, 2009 IP
  17. mr.dp

mr.dp Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have to agree with Jimnoble - "I want my website to be brought to the attention of folks researching a particular topic so that they'll have a more complete and more satisfactory surfing experience."

ODP is great and weeds out crapy sites, so it is one of the most desirable directories to be a part of.

mr.dp, Nov 13, 2009 IP
    Anonymously and Ivan Bajlo like this.
  18. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I want to be listed in Dmoz so I can be rich and famous, so my site can be cool and popular like Britney Spears, so christina aguilera will come to my website and see my picture.
    All the cool people are in Dmoz

I could care less about Dmoz. lol

There are many high-ranking directories not sure why so many people are stuck on this.

averyz, Nov 16, 2009 IP
  19. COBSolutions

COBSolutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What if someone offers to "pay after listing"
    I have three of my sites listed in Dmoz that ways, go ahead get them banned too, i really don't care much considering that it has sent me 4 visitors in total in the last two years :mad:

If it is visitor count that you are looking at, then a sig link from DP can send in more visitors (that too which converts well)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    COBSolutions, Dec 14, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  20. bilgi

bilgi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I want to be listed because of google PR, thats all

bilgi, Dec 14, 2009 IP