1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do you seem so concerned with ODP?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jjwill, Aug 15, 2006.

1. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Lets just turn on a little bit of reality here. By you his own account a meta editor tells popotalk that his behavior is contrary to the ODP guidelines. Now our little friend does not recognize this is a warning but as a request for him to “continue to be a slave” whatever that means in his version of reality.

Now dearest popo continues with his behavior and not only is he removed as an editor he gets banned from Digital Point. Do we hear him complain about his dp banning. No not a peep. In other words it is A.O.K for the digital point to ban him, but as soon as the ODP seeks to dissociate themselves from his nastiness out come the stories of black helicopters.

nebuchadrezzar, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  2. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    So just to be clear, in case you missed it, according to preceding posts 2 out of the 3 got warnings. But anyhow you have never been one to let facts get in the way of a good story so I quess that this information is of no use to you.

nebuchadrezzar, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  3. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For the sake of argument with neb - which is pointless and recently I never qouted him anymore since his bogus claims and illusions of being a HOTSHOT is only a waste of my time. I'll give you a shot neb.

The META asked me that she bumped into my account in DP. Baloney. She is guessing.
    Qoute - If I were you I will just spend my time editing your category instead of joining these corrupt webmasters at DP as you may be branded as corrupt as well. DP is not a good place. Yes there are some editors who are posting in there and they know how to handle things and are well experienced.

Seriously neb, I hate when somebody does that to me.
    First, I thought it was voluntary and nobody won't ask me to do some editing, as you well know I have done my part and this as said a HOBBY.
    Second, if that is the way META/ADMIN treats the editors then their doomed.They should find a way to have voluntary editing be fun and attractive like any other Hobby HARRASMENT FREE.

Goodness, I'll rather pack up my bags and leave rather than be treated like a kid. Each and everyone of you can shove your so called HOBBY, but I sure am doing what I think is right. I can find a lot of pastime. Matter of fact seeing DMOZ slowly sink, destruct is already one of my HOBBY.

I will do anything what I deem is right for me. The problem neb is I am self-employed meaning I am my own BOSS. Now if you will attack me about my behaviour do better cause my behavior has brought me success.

I am back and I would not rest till I see your beloved DMOZ dropped and doomed.

And for the record neb I've had many women compliments as big friend so your "little friend statement" is another of your ILLUSIONS.:D
    Here you can satisfy yourself in whatever manner you may wish.
    Have fun ;) BIG BROTHER FROM THE HOOD

popotalk, Aug 30, 2006 IP
    Colleen likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Now THAT is comedy!! :D

I'm guessing poor neb has never heard that... :eek:

minstrel, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  5. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Only problem is second part of the warning I got could only be only be qualify as witch hunt - taking lines of my posts out of content to prove Conflict of Interest – using that method I could probably find enough self-interest to remove any editor even ishfish. :cool:

:D (I need more similes)

So any editor joining DP which hasn't proven himself beyond corruption can get branded as corrupt - no real proof needed? :cool:

Even while I lived in communism authorities would at lest have so much decency to manufacture enough evidence if ones didn't exist before sentencing somebody (or simply introduce new law so enemies of the workers class could be prosecuted legally).

I agree, now eat your vegetables or you'll get no dessert! :D

Ivan Bajlo, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So according to you and the mentioned Meta, asking why there is so much corruption in DMOZ, is contrary to the guideline and deserves that editor should be removed but

1) Listing illegal site
    2) Listing hundreds of affiliate and doorway pages that belong to the editor
    3) Deep linking thousands of links to own sites
    4) continuing with the same kind of abuse years after years

is only a dash warning and not a reason for removal. :rolleyes:

neb, you are really not that smart, you just keep making more and more fool of yourself and it is helping neither the corruption in DMOZ or yourself. You must know by now that there is no good way to defend the corruption, specially when the other side knows the facts. Do yourself a favor and stop making more of fool of yourself than you already have done. ;)

gworld, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  7. ishfish

ishfish Peon

Best Answers:
    Nooooooooooo. That never happens. </sarcasm>

ishfish, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  8. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Who said a dash warning was given for that? Did I miss something, sorry.

There are times when a dash warning is preferable to removal, if the editor can be re-educated. Had helleborine been given an opportunity to explain herself maybe her removal would have been downgraded to that, who knows.

It was entirely counter-productive in my own case as there was no way I could be re-educated into not saying that listing multiple sites from the same owner in the same category could give the impression of being abusive or sloppy. Besides, when it appears instead of the confirmation screen on the resignation form and forces you to accept the warning before it lets you resign, a threat to remove my editall rights didn't seem likely to be effective.

brizzie, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is clear that editor was not removed and you were hinting about other form of "punishment" such as dash warning. Now you post that there was no dash warning either. In this case, is it safe to say that corrupt editors have nothing to worry about in DMOZ and their actions have no consequences? :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  10. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    How would I know either way? As I told you earlier dash warnings are not published for the world to see so unless the editor mentions it no-one but them and the metas would know it. All I said was that other punishments could be inflicted and you would not see anything to indicate it.

brizzie, Aug 31, 2006 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

All corrupt editors be aware:

If you continue to abuse the directory and list illegal, affiliate, door way pages and hundreds of deep links to your own sites, DMOZ can enforce punishments that can not be seen by any one and has no practical effect since you stay on as editor. :rolleyes:

I am sure this will put immediate stop to all corruption and abuse, I can almost see them shaking in their boots. :rolleyes:

Let's stop the BS excuses and acknowledge the truth, there is a systematic corruption and abuse in DMOZ and it is with full knowledge and protection of the "senior" editors as it is shown in my posts.

gworld, Aug 31, 2006 IP
  12. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hope that soon, we'll won't have any reason to care.

This is what Steve Bryant recently reported about Google Co-Op:

To read the whole article:

New Google Patent Hints at Direction of Social Search

helleborine, Aug 31, 2006 IP
  13. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Reading the patent application is very interesting. I read it a week or so ago - the ODP is mentioned pretty prominently IMO.

Here's one sentance from the application -

lmocr, Aug 31, 2006 IP
  14. ishfish

ishfish Peon

Best Answers:
    That patent application was filed December 13, 2000. Anyone think Google has changed their algorithm in almost 6 years? (Also, just because it's patented doesn't mean they actually do it for their search queries.)

ishfish, Aug 31, 2006 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, ishfish crushes the hope of "senior" editors to push up the price of listings in DMOZ. ;)

gworld, Aug 31, 2006 IP
  16. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    At the time the patent was originally filed, and for some years after, ODP featured in Google searches and was prominent on the Google search page. And it is clear that at one time they were using ODP results in the algorythms quite strongly as the patent might suggest, which explains all the concern webmasters have about the project. All that has gone, except the webmaster interest. And webmasters can now prevent an ODP description appearing as a snippet too.

Neither am I convinced by Google Co-op as it stands at the moment. It will be interesting to see it in a year or two. I don't think that that model stands much chance of being any more reliable than ODP.

brizzie, Aug 31, 2006 IP