1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do you seem so concerned with ODP?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jjwill, Aug 15, 2006.

1. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You must be joking. People have been removed for 1/10 of such abuses or even for simple misunderstanding when it wasn't really an abuse. The editor name is still under the category, so obviously the editor is not removed.
    You must really think that people here are stupid to believe in your smoke screens nonsense. :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  2. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yup. The Senior Editor I am pointing out is still listed. Nothing happened. Nada. Its just a smokescreen and publicity to make them look good.:rolleyes:

popotalk, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You heard neb, he has dealt with it, I am sure that he will not give any pay raise to abusive editors for the next year and there is a talk that he is even canceling their yearly vacation. Everybody can rest easy that neb is dealing with abusive editors. :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 21, 2006 IP
  4. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    If I made a mistake, e.g. hitting the button to list a site instead of rejecting it (easy done, there is no confirm message), missing an affiliate or a mirror (easy done), failing to spot a probably bait and switch, etc. say 1% of the time, then I made 230 logged mistakes. If I only had a 98% rate of good editing decisions then there are 460 logged mistakes. Are there doorways and affiliates I should have spotted but through inexperience or tiredness missed? I guarantee it. My tally was modest and plenty of editors have far more. So 1000 logged mistakes in a 100,000 edit editor - wouldn't surprise me or anyone else.

When editors are removed over what might be a mistake then you claim that corrupt senior editors are behind it. When editors are not removed over what might be a mistake you claim corrupt senior editors are behind it. Humans are fallible, editors make mistakes, metas make mistakes editing, Admins make mistakes. ODP is an amateur organisation managed by amateurs, provides no training to new editors, has guidelines that Admins get wrong sometimes and are out of date, so the error rate will be higher than would be ideal. If you were talking about a slick professional outfit then you would expect higher standards of accuracy resulting from proper staff training. But I'll bet you will find errors in other professionally run directories even so. What DMOZ should be considering is whether its secrecy over removals remains appropriate in this day and age.

brizzie, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So according to you the editor just keep making mistake and pushing the list button instead of reject button for editor's own sites, or may be do you mean the editor played bait and switch with own site? :rolleyes:

These are editors OWN sites, stop making excuses and face the facts. :rolleyes:

May be you are going to say the "senior" editors are not aware, this is from the a post dated oct. 5, 2005 in resource-zone by someone with handle bluegradehandel (it is not me)

The Meta answer to above post:

How was it dealt with? the links were removed, editor is still editor and new links were added. :rolleyes:
    Abuse reporting is nothing more than a map that helps the "senior" editors to cover up the tracks of the abuse.

gworld, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  6. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Originally posted by brizzie
    Apologize.
    Teach and correct in a nice way. Remember these are volunteers not slaves.
    Unacceptable. They came already that far.
    No problem. Just apologize to helleborine even in PM.
    Then they suppose to stop treating themselves as royalty. Be HUMAN and just drop RZ as this is the devils pit.

popotalk, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  7. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I mean only what I actually said. I would not be in the least surprised to see a genuine error rate of 1-2% amongst senior editors. Such errors should never be the cause of an editor removal.

Which ones are? One moment you are being specific, next moment you are scatter gunning accusations at everyone. You are saying that every error that exists in the directory is not genuine but an editor being abusive with their own sites? My mistakes must run into a hundred or two, I don't own 100 sites let alone 200 sites.

Who apologise to who for what?

Yes.

Crap. Everyone makes mistakes.

As previously explained by genie the Admins were not responsible for her removal. Those who know the reasons are not telling so no-one here knows whether the removal was justified or not. From what I know of helleborine I think she should at least have had an opportunity to answer whatever evidence exists but that is a flaw in the DMOZ system.

RZ is not an official part of DMOZ, it is owned and operated privately by some editors. It is not within the power of DMOZ to drop it - the powers that be have never liked it anyway. If you don't like it don't go there.

brizzie, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The Open Directory follows in the footsteps of some of the most important editor/contributor projects of the 20th century. Just as the Oxford English Dictionary became the definitive word on words through the efforts of a volunteers, the Open Directory follows in its footsteps to become the definitive catalog of the Web.

Crap. Oxford dictionary makes mistakes.

Maybe Hitler should. What do you think. Humans are fallible you said.

Too much crap in DMOZ System.

No, I will burn.:eek:

popotalk, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  9. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The ones that you were making excuse for and was mentioned in my post:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=1297588&postcount=181

and also were mentioned in resource zone as I mentioned in this post:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=1304674&postcount=205

Now, try to make an excuse about why a Meta should cover up these things and how everything is just a big mistake but in my book deep links to own sites are not mistakes. :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  10. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you have been overdoing the wacky baccy again. Fact is you have admitted to having lied and cheated in order to attempt to obtain multiple logons. If there is any apologizing happening it should be comming out of your gob.

nebuchadrezzar, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a happy person.:D
    Now that is not a nice attitude towards a junior editor.
    I apologize for being a guardian angel watching the devils and suppressing their bad habits.:D

popotalk, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Simple: DMOZ listings impact search engine rankings. And unfairly so. DMOZ gives an unfair advantage to the wrong sites. It's not based on quality or usability anymore. Without DMOZ, search results would improve.

Blogmaster, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  13. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Of the last 15 links added to http://www.avivadirectory.com 14 are travel now affiliates, and the other is a "100% seo friendly directory". Is that the type of brave new world you envisage for search once DMOZ has been wiped out?

nebuchadrezzar, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  14. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That is mostly a myth in the minds of out-of-date webmasters. DMOZ has a minimal impact on search engines or SE rankings.

minstrel, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    neb, I am still waiting to know how you have dealt with the editor who deep links to own sites with high number of links and the Meta who covers up the abuse track after it is reported? I mean except that you are not going to give them pay raise for next year and may be cancel their yearly vacation. :rolleyes:

If DMOZ is going to be all about money then it can be honest and charge everyone for the listings and that will help AOL poor financial performance too or it can clean up it's act and won't let it be a private abuse club for some "senior" editors. :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  16. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's a collection of obsolete websites. To find the better, newer websites that have supplanted them, please use the search engine of your choosing.

Thank you.

helleborine, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  17. ishfish

ishfish Peon

Best Answers:
    That's not true. I know, another non-meta who was kind enough to PM me knows, every metas/admin knows, and any editor that really wants to know could know if they just looked.

ishfish, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    gworld, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  19. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And you believe that ? What if they say that kctipton does not have an abuse problem ? Would that surprise you ?

The Senior Editor who lists crap Travel Sites still there. You can see his logs if you want.

popotalk, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  20. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's laughable - everybody is going to know, except me? Hehe, that's hilarious.

Maybe kctipton was "kind enough" to send you a PM, haha. The rest may have "heard" and may be repeating a legend. If you actually check, you won't find any abuse.

Is it completely impossible for the ODP to imagine abuse where there is none???

Is it completely impossible for corrupt editors to want to push out a junior that is *gasp* questioning deeplinks from a large commercial site?

But who really cares? That's not the point.

==================

Your cherished directory is completely out-of-date. Take a good look at it today; it will never again be this good.

You'll have fewer and fewer editors.

No one will find the ODP useful anymore, with its cobwebbed, dusty, mummified website listings.

Google will abandon you to your fate.

People will forget about you.

Then - you can all have fun building your private directory, unmolested by webmasters, in peace and silence, until you collect your pension, all 2 or 3 of you that will remain (one of which will still stuff Adult with his or her mirrors and deeplinks, haha). Amen.

helleborine, Aug 23, 2006 IP