1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do you seem so concerned with ODP?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jjwill, Aug 15, 2006.

I have a good guess, but was wondering what is the motivation, with some of those who constantly post here, for being so concerned if there is or isn't corruption at the ODP? Or weather or not editors are paying attention to the letter of the guidelines. Are they really interested in the good of the ODP or is it for self-serving causes, weather that be monetary or hobby? Are they really concerned weather or not the end user is getting a quality directory?

jjwill, Aug 15, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  2. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I am constantly amazed by the vitriol that is directed towards the ODP. I too wonder at their motivation. I think that the majority of fall into 3 categories.

1)Removed editors with axes to grind. Some of those posting here are well known to us. Usually there is a direct proportional relationship between the amount of cheating and lying they did as editors and their howls at DP of how corrupt the directory is.

2)Bitter and twisted submitters who are unable to get their sites listed on their terms, or unable to get tem listed at all. There folk are perhaps the most common type of detractor. You can sort of tell them from their whiney suggestions that the ODP somehow owes them something.

3) Minstrel who needs a category of his own. Current thinking is that he was visited in a dream by god who commanded him to go forth and preach the evils of the ODP.

nebuchadrezzar, Aug 15, 2006 IP
    falcondriver likes this.
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    ^^^

Read and re-read the two posts above and you both will have part of your answer.

minstrel, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  4. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    don't knock the prophet Minstrel :mad:

Solicitors Mortgages, Aug 15, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What is the motivation of those editors who close their eyes to the evidence and pretend that abuse and corruption does not exist or fight hard in order to defend and preserve the status quo that permits abuse? :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  6. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe certain people have morals and actually care what gets served online for the user.

cormac, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  7. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    why oh why does anyone care? editors are not obligated to add your site.. you may think your site is the best thing since sliced bread...perhaps it is. That still does not qualify it for a listing.

If you think that editors are corrupt, apply to join and take the weight off their shoulders and clear up the backlogs a bit.

My guess is you would get bored of the crappy submissions after 24 hours.

James.

Solicitors Mortgages, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  8. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    I only ever submitted to ODP twice a long time ago and now I dont even waste my time due to seeing some of the content that could be found in there.

Editors have no problem in listing sites titled Teen Sex - barley legal nude teens which is something I would consider a crappy submission but I suppose there is an audience for that type of stuff with all the kiddie lovers out there.

ODP wouldnt want me as an editor as I would start removing most of the crap thats listed as I said some people have morals.

cormac, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  9. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    There are also a number who are concerned about the perceived unfairness and lack of responsiveness of the ODP system quite often caused by poor and out of date guidelines, and by excessive secrecy. Both of which are ODP responsibilities and correctible if the will was there. It is necessary to draw attention to these flaws so ODP has an opportunity to correct them.

Sadly there is an inclination to ignore and dismiss what people say here and on other external forums because the individuals can be labelled as removed editors, disgruntled submitters, spammers, or assorted malcontents who can't get their own way. But that would be a mistake because if you read between the lines what most of these people are telling ODP is that it patently fails to effectively communicate its purpose, its rules, its mode of operation, its listing policies, its editor selection criteria etc. leading inevitably to the never-ending accusations of corruption and other forms of abuse. If, instead of being dismissive editors started to listen to the complaints, it might be able to change its communication on these common causes of misunderstanding. Whilst it might not gain many new friends it might result in being better understood. One very simple example - the use of the term submission when what people are actually doing is making a suggestion. The former raises far more expectations which are often dashed.

brizzie, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  10. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I am sorry to disappoint, but I don't fit in any of these categories. Closest is #3.

You can't dismiss every ex-editor as a corrupt, antisocial editor with an axe to grind.

I had amassed quite a number of categories; everyday, the queue was emptied to zero. If I ever came across an unlisted site myself, the first thing I did, was to rush to add the listing. I did an extremely good job, worked hard to improve the structure of the categories, and I certainly did not do a single thing to warrant my removal. All my websites and affiliations were dutifully declared. I did not anything wrong, my conscience is crystal clear. May I be struck by lightning if I lie.

I can assure you that I did not make a single, questionable edit. I treated every listing with fairness and equity. The category my main site belongs to has 9 listings, and is very, very deep, on a worthless PR page. I don't think the 11K edits I made were to favor my own sites, I am not even in a competitive arena.

You have to consider the possibility that there can exist some editors that have done nothing but impartial editing, and, say, might have disagreed that rubylane.com and ebay.com stores should be treated differently.

The timing is right: at the time I was complaining that both should either be deeplinked, or neither should be deeplinked, but should not be treated uneuqlly. Some of the naster metas started to chime in the thread with very short, very dismissive posts, more throwing their weight around, than discussing. The king of all nasty editors, kctipton, was one of them, and there were others. Suddenly, I noticed referrals to my websites from the ODP's meta-editor forum. Two days after a brief flurry of visits by what assume were 3-4 metas, my editor privileges were suddenly, and mysteriously removed.

Looking at the events and the timing of my removal, I am rather certain that the Rubylane deeplinks were deemed more valuable than my contribution to the directory.

And if the Rubylane deeplinks were more important than my contribution, then the only logical conclusion is that the ODP is corrupt, it does not care about an honest, devoted, hard-working editor that works to make the directory better. Why would they care so much about Rubylane? Money? A senior editor invested in Rubylane? But I'll tell you this, deeplinking Rubylane was most important to the ODP.

helleborine, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  11. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But then again, what do you expect from the folk that man Resource Zone?

;-)

helleborine, Aug 15, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  12. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well OK I admit that I am still an Editor and I Lie because I won't tell my Username. Is it because you hide something in Internal Forum that no one is suppose to know ? A conspiracy ? Maybe no one is suppose to know that the Guidelines have been finalized and railroaded in Adult/Photo Galleries ? That a Senior Editor in Regional would log in once in a blue moon just to add Travel Sites ? How much is that ? Can't do it by Paypal maybe Western Union. There is a lot of Secrecy involve that is committed. Afraid that somebody is looking ? Nebbie boy, look at my Edits. I became an Editor in Dec 2005 starting in Odenton. Got approved for Gambrills in 2 weeks. Then Millersville and Severna Park. Quezon City, National Capital Region, Regional Philippines and World Tagalog. That is in a span of 3 Months my friend. If I was not doing something good then blame the Metas who approves it. I think I did a good job but that is not relevant and I am not interested anymore. I will just concentrate on this and its much better.
    Just somebody to watch over you is all about.:D

Question is Why are you afraid if your not doing anything wrong ?:rolleyes:

popotalk, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  13. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    That you might recall was the original intent of resource zone. As a public relations exercise goes rz was a complete failure. There is something inherent in the dynamic of the realtionship between editors and submitters that does not encorage cooperation. If you are expecting similar flirtations with openness don't hold your breath.

And I am sorry I am going to treat the liars and cheats who are now sitting on a holier than thou pedestal with the contempt they deserve.

14. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't recall any editors ever saying there was no corruption or abuse. You yourself are evidence that abusive editors exist. What has been disputed is the degree of that abuse. You really should concentrate a little harder old boy.

15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you admit that corruption and abuse exist then why aren't you concerned? Is it because it is old news and no surprise for you?
    Why are you so obsessed with stopping any effort that tries to stop the corruption? Too much profit. :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  16. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Over the years I have spent a huge amount of time investigating , warning and removing abusive editors. I am not sure that concerned is the right word. Quietly determined to find them and eliminate them would be more accurate
    Hey, you are right for a change. I see that you took my advice and started concentrating. At the start from day one in 1998 there have been abusive editors and the battle with them started then.
    I think that people who assist in our vigilance against abuse are fantastic. The editor and public abuse report systems are a very effective tool.
    Sorry buddy but I have exactly zero sites listed in the directory. Lets cut out the innuendo and supposition ah?

17. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously you have failed miserably, when I get PM and email from both editors and senior editors that they see what is happening and agree with me about corruption and abuse but are too afraid to say anything or too pessimistic to do anything because they think that the corrupt editors are too powerful. :rolleyes:

I have provided more than enough proof about corruption and abuse in DMOZ and the editors continue to be editors and the sites continue to be listed, so all your claim about fighting abuse is nothing more than a joke. :rolleyes:

gworld, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  18. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    No it isn't! After I posted it here they have finally discovered my sinister plot to add few extra deeplinks to my 1800+ pages website by creating missing categories and add dozens of new unique relevant websites to these new categories to cover up my tracks – aren't I sneaky bastard! :D

Good thing they removed me, imagine what would I have done now that my website has finally moved into multilanguage CMS and I can add dozens of new pages daily in several languages – I would have to add thousands of new unique relevant websites just to be able to get access to some other category for which my deeplink would be relevant but aren't maintained for months and years and has yet to be listed. :rolleyes:

Ivan Bajlo, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  19. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    ivan - You were defending the ODP a month or so ago...now you are condemning it. What made you change your mind??

sidjf, Aug 16, 2006 IP
  20. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe the fact I got removed as editor (most probably) under "Conflict of Interest" clause? And entire thing happened in matter of only few days - who says DMOZ can't act fast.

Proof of my "corruption" seems to be parts of the posts in which I was "defending" DMOZ which were conveniently taken out of contents so they could be used against me.

Ivan Bajlo, Aug 16, 2006 IP