1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do we even fool with designing for IE?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Firejerm, Jul 14, 2010.

Seriously, Its the least competent browser out. If you code for FF, Most other browsers see it and can adapt accordingly. IE sees one little line/IE6 1symbol, and just freaks out.
    Opera doesnt destroy a page just because one image tag isn't closed...yet IE can make a site look like a 8 yo made it.

And whats with loading times on IE8? I think we should take a stand against micro$ until they actually fix their browser's compatibility issue.

Now they got sued internationally because of media player being packed with every windows. What about IE? Dumb IE back down to netscape navigator level(or lower) and give options on what browser we want. Knowing IE will be first on the list but still, show a list of popular browsers.

I like the money but i hate having to reformat someone's computer because they prefer IE. "But it comes with Windows, why wouldn't it be safe?"

tl;dr: Fix Internet Explorer or get rid of it.

Firejerm, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  2. hes

hes Peon

Best Answers:
    I've found out an easy way to conquer IE. My sites keep a consistent design across all major browsers, including ie 6 7 and 8 although it was a pain in the ass to learn how to do this. :)
    I too hate IE. It's idiotic programming. but we can't help it that many people still use it.

hes, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  3. type0

type0 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you Firejerm.

I've written many blog posts denouncing Internet Explorer, especially IE6. Unfortunately we, web designers, are stuck with having to design for this archaic browser because, according to MS, “74 percent of work PCs still use Windows XP” (see link below). And you know what that means, they’re also running IE6 or IE7.

Hopefully Microsoft gets it right with IE9. Though I’m not holding my breath.

Follow twitter.com/IE6_must_die and fight back.

engadget.com/2010/07/12/microsoft-says-74-percent-of-work-pcs-still-use-windows-xp-exte/

Michael Swartz
    MJS Web Solutions

type0, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  4. choydogs

choydogs Peon

Best Answers:
    I already abandon IE6, I don't care if I lose money.

choydogs, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  5. FreshFishDesign

FreshFishDesign Guest

Best Answers:
    I think IE6 is pretty much on the way out. But also it's counter-productive for us as developers to ignore the most popular browser out there, even if it's frustrating to develop for.

You've also got to see it from the user's perspective. A lot of people simply don't care what browser they're using and wouldn't necessarily see much difference in the way the average page rendered whichever browser it was on.

FreshFishDesign, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  6. NPSF3000

NPSF3000 Peon

Best Answers:
    Your like, a couple years behind the times.

1) IE is fairly good, and ie9 should be better - MS have finally decided to go standards based.

2) They already have been sued, by the EU or something (google it).

NPSF3000, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  7. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    While IE may be the most used, that doesn't make it the most "popular". Popularity has nothing to do with usage. When I designed computers from scratch, years ago, Motorola 68xxx series processors were the most popular among engineers but, unforunately, the most used wound up being Intel x86 which we all hated.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  8. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    IE is NOT "fairly good" and is, by far, the worst browser on the planet. While IE9 will be "better", Microsoft's target is technology of today and yesterday while all other browser vendors are targeting tech of today and tomorrow. If IE9 comes out next year, and Microsoft has never said it will, it's questionable how far behind all the others it will be. The fact that Microsoft updates its browser only once every 3-9 years, while all other browsers are updated every few months, is evidence enough no one should use IE for anything.

9. FreshFishDesign

FreshFishDesign Guest

Best Answers:
    I think that being the most used is at least one definition of popular. I'm not defending the browser, I'm just pointing out that as developers we have to account for the fact that the majority of users still have IE installed.

FreshFishDesign, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  10. NPSF3000

NPSF3000 Peon

Best Answers:
    I recently built a experimental website, worked fine in Chrome and IE8 without any changes... as soon as I try Firefox it has a (small but significant) error.

If IE8 works just as well as my Chrome for rendering i'm happy.

NPSF3000, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  11. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    See my links. Ie8 is the worst of all the current version browsers and 12 years behind all others. It's an embarrassment.

12. fivewarp

fivewarp Peon

Best Answers:
    Its the default browser in the most popular operating system. And so many people are still using XP that IE6 is still actively used.

fivewarp, Jul 16, 2010 IP
  13. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Desktop only and not true in Europe where they are offered optional browsers.
    IE8 is pushed with Windows Update.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 16, 2010 IP
  14. stevestuff

stevestuff Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I came here today cause I need a solution to a BAD error in IE8. Just posted it here.

If y'all wanna know how BAD IE is, just try to validate their home page.

Not too bad, considering what it was like 6 months ago - over 350 errors :eek:!!

As for IE6, we all had a funeral for him: REST IN PEACE IE6

stevestuff, Jul 16, 2010 IP
  15. kjb

kjb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Since I found a way to hack IE6 (in fact, all versions of IE) with CSS (i.e. making only certain things in my CSS show for IE6 and different) my headaches developing for this browser have reduced significantly.

Look it up, it's really interesting reading. But I agree - anyone still using IE6 (especially when the upgrade is free) should be shot in the face IMO :-P

kjb, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  16. ackernik

ackernik Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    People still use it, its not actually that bad. The new IE9 should be a more successful outcome then earlier versions.

ackernik, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  17. lassie911

lassie911 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ie, Microsoft and Windows=garbage. If you are still stupid enough to still be using IE in 2010 then you deserve problems. Firefox is the future as well as other browsers. I'm not going to do a damn thing for the people using IE, that's there problem (as well as a host of others) not mine! I remember when vista (crap) came out they took alot from the firefox browser. I wasn't surprised because that's what Microsoft does. I just thought it was funny. I NEVER WANT TO SEE IE AGAIN IN MY LIFE, IT JUST SUCKS.

lassie911, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  18. Rimona

Rimona Active Member

Best Answers:
    Firejerm,

If you want to ignore IE, you do so at your peril.
    See graph of global use in the past 6 month of IE (over 50% of all computer users)
    In Europe (graph 2) the completion between IE and FF are a little closer but IE still comes out ahead.

A closer look (over the last month of not only bowers but browser versions in the USA only) reveals that there are still 5% using IE6 and about 15% using IE7.
    What makes this graph interesting is that the use of IE6 and IE7 is significantly higher during the week and lower during the weekends.
    What this suggests is that people at work are still using IE6 and IE7, whereas at home they use other browsers.
    Major corporations, the government and other big employers wrote a lot of applications on IE6 - these do not run on other browsers - this is why IE6 will still be around for the coming years.

You may not like it - I don't like it - but is is a fact.

One of my lecturers insists that "If you find an unmovable constraint, don't fight it, embrace it and use it to your advantage"
    I this case, explain to your clients why backward compatibility is advantageous to him/her. Bill for your development and charge separately for backward compatibility.

Attached Files:

Rimona, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  19. NPSF3000

NPSF3000 Peon

Best Answers:
    Other than a link that seems to list all the things that IE8 has fixed, and a link that is based on "February 10, 2009." data - what is your point?

NPSF3000, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  20. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    In your case, I guess the point is you aren't technically proficient to understand what you are reading since 1) you claim the first link only shows fixes and 2) you think the second is only based on data from 2009.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 17, 2010 IP