1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do they have different prices for the same domain

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Hoang, Jun 17, 2005.

I really don't get this.
    Why do they set different prices for .com, .net, .org domains?
    Just like at Registerfly.com , .com domain costs $9.99/year , but at Surpassdomain.com , .com domain costs $15.99/year
    So what's the difference?
    Is the $15.99 one better somehow? ;)

Hoang, Jun 17, 2005 IP
  2. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    i think the more stablished the domain seller is the higher the price will be (normally)

just-4-teens, Jun 17, 2005 IP
  3. tflight

tflight Peon

Best Answers:
    In some cases too there are different features that come standard. For example from easyDNS you pay more than you would from just about anywhere else, but because of their feature-set I wouldn't purchase form anywhere else. Their DNS services are top notch which is a big deal for me.

tflight, Jun 17, 2005 IP
  4. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I believe a registrar charges whatever they see fit, it doesn't even have to mean there are differences.

Personally, I find namecheap.com the best and easiest to use, no matter the price, I will always prefer to reg my domains with them. ;)

Colleen, Jun 18, 2005 IP
  5. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's the same principle as high street shops - they charge what they can get away with and succeed because most people are too lazy/ignorant to shop around. I find that there's rarely a great deal of difference between registrars except for them splitting into two camps - the ones that register your domain and let you change the nameservers/contact info and that's all, and the ones that will run DNS etc. for you.

Personally I use 123reg for all my domains, as they're cheap (they add virtually no margin to domain sales, so most of the price is just the ridiculous fees applied by the likes of ICANN and Nominet) and they have a good reputation.

pwaring, Jun 19, 2005 IP
  6. HostColor

HostColor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Every domain registar has it is own policy. The level of expenses and service is different and etc.

Regards
    D.

HostColor, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  7. real

real Peon

Best Answers:
    domain.com is expensive because they know many newbies will think it is the right place to buy a domain. Some others compete for price and make it $7-8 per year.

real, Jun 26, 2005 IP
  8. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Price is no indicator of reliability, and it not a very good indicator of level of service. I find it easier to make changes to the domains I have registered with the discount registrars than the one I have not moved from network solutions. I pay 8 dollars a year and can make changes with ease at the discount registrar. I pay 35 dollars a year and have to jump through hoops to make changes at network solutions. Now, if you believe that those hoops will prevent someone from stealing your domain, and you believe that is worth the extra price, then by all means, use a higher priced registrar.

ziandra, Jun 26, 2005 IP
  9. Art

Art Peon

Best Answers:
    I register my own domains using a domain reseller account. To put it simply, we can charge WHATEVER we so desire, although the final product in most circumstances is the same.

It's really a case of shopping around for the best prices (and to find one that doesn't lock you! Then again, if they're particularly good, why would you want to transfer?).

Art, Jun 27, 2005 IP
  10. WorldImpulse

WorldImpulse Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have 90 % of my domains from namecheap.com
    I personally feel that it is the best....

WorldImpulse, Jul 5, 2005 IP