1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Do People Say PR is Useless?

Discussion in 'Google' started by rkquest, Jun 11, 2007.

1. wozzaofrare

wozzaofrare Active Member

Best Answers:
    page rank isnt useless because a PR 0 site will never rank higher then a PR 6 website. FACT

wozzaofrare, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  2. priyakochin

priyakochin Banned

Best Answers:
    PR is the great source of Traffic from Search Engines !

priyakochin, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  3. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Becouse PR is not important

And when you look for link partners or sell links a nother factor can be more important "link popularity" or relevance so P is just a numver that some people give way to mutch importance

w3bmaster, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  4. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Pfff...my "www. mysite .com/PHPtestingPage.php" gets PR3 in my "www. mysite .com" (PR0).

That testing page is not even on Google. No traffic whatsoever, except from me.
    Do you want to buy a link there?
    The site gets tons of traffic since 1999 though but PR0.

If you want to sell links, higher PR is better.
    If you want traffic and sales and $$$, PR is irrelevant.
    Period.

Codythebest, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  5. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Shoulda stuck with your earlier statement, it was more accurate.

-Michael

mvandemar, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  6. GUESTID

GUESTID Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have PR 9 or 10 then it's pretty useful .

:))

GUESTID, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  7. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll agree here. Good thing the niches I compete in usually dont have high PR sites. :D

reapr, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  8. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know. But you could not provide any explaination anyway.
    So at least, I have the benefice of the doubt...

Why www. mysite .com is PR0 with tons of links, traffic, revenue, articles, etc...while www. mysite .com/myPHPtestpage.php is PR3 with 1 uniques/week (me), no links, no advertising, no revenue, no title, no meta tag, not W3C compliant, no nothing???

Convince me and I'll pray St PR everyday...

Cody

Codythebest, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  9. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That isn't true at all. Why are you making things up and claiming they are "FACT"?

I'll prove it. I done a seach for Mossberg Flashes, A random term that appears on my newly created blog post, My page has PR0, It appears #1 in the SERPS. Then, All the way down at the bottom of page 21 of the SERPS we find This PR6 page.

So it goes to show, Not only is it not a "fact" that a pr6 will always appear above a pr0, It's not even close. A pr6 page can appear all the way down on page 21 while a pr0 can rank #1 for a search term.

You don't know what you are talking about, Stop spreading misinformation!

stOx, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  10. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Whether PR is important or not depends on your business model. If you sell links, of course it matters. If your business is to generate leads and sales for yourself, traffic matters.

Blogmaster, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    ouch just saw this post in a quote and had to find it. Are you for real? So why did my PR2 site outrank so many PR5+ ones?

12. NoIppo

NoIppo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR is not useless mate. It is just one of the many factors for ranking and those green bar you see in your browser or many sites showing it, it is not the real PR. Stop and think about this.

Let put is this way, for 2 sites with similar content, keyword density, meta description etc. <- where they all get the same score for each factor, then higher PR will outrank the lower one. Hence, it is just one of many factors to determine the SERP.

The real PR is calculated, store in Google databases & it is not release or available for public to know. Therefore some people will see PR2 can outrank PR5, unknown by him that the actual/real PR for that PR2 is actually PR5+ in Google database.

If you see a PR2 site outrank PR5 in SERP, take a note and remember to look again when the green bar in your browser get updated.

NoIppo, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  13. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I highly doubt my page got (real) PR6 in a few days. It will more than likely still be PR0 (maybe PR 1) after the update. But guess what, It will still outrank that PR6 page.

Yes PR is a factor, But it's such a minor factor that it does make it the last thing you should ever look at, And as such, It's useless.

stOx, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    One of the best posts ever. PR is a number, a crotch as you will for those new in the business.

15. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PM me the site.

-Michael

mvandemar, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  16. WorldImpulse

WorldImpulse Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR is not the measure of site quality ... some of my PR 5 and PR 6 sites get 50 uniques a day and some of my PR 4 sites get 4k + uniques a day..
    PR cant be taken as the only indication of the quality of a site...

WorldImpulse, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  17. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In my words

PR is really useless as it does not really denote popularity of a page or website and it is used by Google only to a certain extent to rank the websites

Also I can simply design a mediocre website and gain more PR than my competitors site(which has more quality content) in a short time by buying more links!
    So PR is really useless,but due to the hype around it ,we are generally vying for it!

Freewebspace, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  18. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    page rank is only calculated for fun. it will not effect to your serp or another think. just for fun:)

trichnosis, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  19. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    That is about the only time that is is very useful.
    IMO, PR and Alexa Rankings are what amateurs use to try and valuate a domain.
    If you look at DN Journals monthly report of Domain sales, the only thing that matters to REAL buyers is the name, the extension, a clean record, and the price.
    I have never seen them even mention PR, and definitely not, "How much adsense does it make?"
    A real and experienced buyer can look at a domain, and by experience, his development potential, and knowing some stats about surfing habits, SEO, Key words, His Development plans or what he knows it to be worth in it's particular industry,, as well as being aware of what is relevant to the general, worldwide public, (Not webmasters) can determine approximate value immediately.

I see "buyers" all the time that have no clue of what is going on in the world around them, (News, finance, Products and Retail, Surfing and shopping habits, etc) and try to devaluate a domain based on 3 months experience, no marketing education, no real grasp of finance and the world around them, and a few free e books.
    It's comical.

In Podunk, Mississippi, BORROWMONEY.COM is worth it's adsense revenue, on Madison Ave, it's worth $xxxx - $xx,xxx or more.

hmansfield, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  20. NoIppo

NoIppo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is because that PR6 page does not have the keyword phrase "Mossberg Flashes" and not even "Mossberg" or "Flashes" keywords in it. So how it got in the SERP? just because it has the keyword "Flash" & PR6, not even "Mossberg".

I'm not saying PR is everything. Relevancy is more important as the sample SERP speak for it self. But if you put the key phrase or the keywords in that PR6 page, in page title, body and H1 or H2 tag, even the density is less than yours, I'm sure it'll outrank yours because of the PR alone. ;)

I'm kinda disagree that it is useless or a minor factor. What I mean is like this: when Google calculate the placement of SERP, it'll sums up the factors score:
    Factor - Score (1-10)
    1. Title - 10
    2. URL - 5
    3. H1 - 9
    4. PR - 6
    etc.

When the score of other factors are lacking, high PR will boost the total score and in return, better placement in SERP. Hopefully that make sense.

NoIppo, Jun 14, 2007 IP