1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Do People Say PR is Useless?

Discussion in 'Google' started by rkquest, Jun 11, 2007.

1. AngelaE8654

AngelaE8654 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yep...I'll have to agree.

AngelaE8654, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  2. kingkong

kingkong Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pr is useful when it comes from similar theme website otherwise you don't get benefit of it.

kingkong, Jun 11, 2007 IP
    whizzkid likes this.
  3. imnajam

imnajam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR is useless because it wont earn you $$$ except when you are selling links.

imnajam, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  4. mvandemar

mvandemar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely. For starters, PR by itself is theme-less... it is a linear number. When you look at the PR on a webpage, you cannot tell where that PR came from, and when you rank, you have to rank for something.

Just because a site has good PageRank doesn't mean that it got that PageRank in a manner that would help it rank for a given keyword. If I get 20 PR3 links all using the keyphrase [myfirstkeyword], and you get 20 PR0 links for the keyphrase [someotherkeyword], and that's all the links we each get, then I will have a higher PR than you (once it is updated, I mean), and you will most likely outrank me for [someotherkeyword].

I will have a higher PR and you will outrank me for [someotherkeyword]. When you look at it, this makes sense, but it does not say that PR is meaningless.

If I get 20 PR3 links for [myfirstkeyword], and you get 20 PR0 links for [myfirstkeyword], then yes, it is much more likely that I will outrank you, and yes, it is because of the PageRank on those links.

No scenarios outside of a test environment will be that cut and dried, of course, but this is something you can always test. Create 2 brand new sites, both targeting the same phrase. Toss 10 PR2 links at one and 10 PR0 links at the other, but make the rest of the stuff pretty much equal. Don't use a made up phrase, use one with 1-2 million results, and over 50k results for the allinanchor operator and the keyphrase in quotes. See for yourself the difference.

-Michael

mvandemar, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  5. rkquest

rkquest Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is what I'm trying to say. Yeah, sure.. PR doesn't affect your traffic or your SE ranking. But when your selling links. You can price higher if your PR is high.

rkquest, Jun 12, 2007 IP
  6. littlebobek

littlebobek Peon

Best Answers:
    Those who say that usually have low PR :D

littlebobek, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  7. Janna122003

Janna122003 Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with you. I won't bother myself with PR, high traffic is the most important thing for me to gain.

Janna122003, Jun 13, 2007 IP
    helleborine likes this.
  8. rkquest

rkquest Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I guess we're clear here. If you're just relying on contextual ads like adsense, PR is not relevant. If you're selling links, PR is important because it will be your client's measuring stick.

rkquest, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  9. KingofKings

KingofKings Banned

Best Answers:
    The final line is the people that there websites have a High PR, are able to sell links. The Higher the PR, the more they can charge for there links.

KingofKings, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  10. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR is what makes Google's SERPs better than Yahoo or MSN!

;-)

helleborine, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  11. freeseodirectory.org

freeseodirectory.org Guest

Best Answers:
    pr is still important when you compete for keywords ranking, for the same keywords, the higher pr site will get higher rank in search engine (google only).

freeseodirectory.org, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  12. Brennan

Brennan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PR is just a merry go round, people buy links so that they can get PR so people buy links off them and people will buy links off them so they can get PR so people will buy links from them and it goes on and on and on!

Brennan, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  13. djstreet

djstreet Peon

Best Answers:
    PR is a bit of semantics game to begin with. People say 'I need to increase my PR' when really they are looking to increase traffic. PR (visible green toolbar PR) is merely a metric of the general health of a web site some 1-2 quarters in the past. It has no direct correlation to any ranking. PageRank is used by Google within the algos, however, again, you do not seek to increase PR, you seek to increase traffic. Don't get confused.

check out my high quality :p diagram on my blog for clarification.

djstreet, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  14. webwiz

webwiz Peon

Best Answers:
    PR is just the popularity of the site or page, it can go up and down as fast a roller coaster. But i agree it is very good for selling links and selling sites.
    i believe quality traffic, tons of relative links and how old is a site are the major keys to rank a website.

webwiz, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  15. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:

I have seen too many sites with PR0 including my own rank above say a PR4-6 on the first page of results returned. I have also seen PR0 sites ranking above my sites with PR above 4. Most people responding to this thread would probably agree. Don't get me wrong here, yes generally a higher PR site will rank higher but this is not the caseall of the time.

The only time I would even consider paying attension to PR is when buying links or selling a site. If I was buying a site PR would be a factor but it would not be on the top 3 items to consider.

reapr, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  16. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Most likely because they don't have PR6+ on their own sites :p

Mong, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  17. grg

grg Guest

Best Answers:
    PR is important - but it has to be understand correct - site with higher PR has more 'power' to lift another site in serp than site with lower PR. So it has something to do with traffic but indirectly (PR->Lift in G.-> Traffic, not PR->Traffic).

grg, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  18. leede

leede Guest

Best Answers:
    PR is less important ,
    as PR = Page Rank

or DR = Domain Rank,

why google calls it page rank but not domain rank.

a page is 100% related with traffics and contents

so traffics and contents seem higher demanding than pr as I expected.

leede, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  19. temyong

temyong Banned

Best Answers:
    I think the question is "why do people say PR is useless" I think is PR is not useless for those people who sell links. And I also agree for those people who's answer Traffic is important I'm really agree with that.But PR is useless common some people always want to know Google update don't tell me that you are not waiting for that. PR is still important but not as important as traffic and don't say its useless.

temyong, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  20. four27pm

four27pm Banned

Best Answers:
    i think that's why Google making changes on PR algo, to bring back trust to this technology!

four27pm, Jun 14, 2007 IP