1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do Muslims and Jews not eat pork?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by avatar33, Jul 15, 2009.

What is the true explanation behind this? Why do so many religions ban eating pork products (bacon, ham, sausage, etc...) ?

I have heard so many different theories from both jews and muslims but I am not convinced yet. The theory that came up the more often is that pork is a dirty and unpure animal that can eat its own meat. However any starving animal can eat its own meat if forced to (cf. mad cow disease)... so I'm not really convinced by this explanation. There must be a more "spiritual" explanation to this right?

2. kashifyy

kashifyy Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you eat pork? if yes, then why?

kashifyy, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  3. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    From the way I understand it, the pig is seen to be an unclean and unholy animal not just because of the fact that it will eat just about anything you feed it, but that it doesn't differentiate in it's mating habits and will reproduce with it's own mother if given the chance.

The Midrash states that just before the Angel of Death descended, God instructed the dogs living amongst the Hebrews to be silent. The dogs complied with loving obedience. God was so impressed that He told them that because they had obeyed with such love, He would reward them. He would instruct the Jewish people that hereafter they should give their non-kosher food to the dogs.

The Talmudic directive deals only with Pork. It does not mention other non-kosher foods as rabbits, shrimp or lobster, etc. Thus, this Midrashic
    story did not explain why the Talmud instructs Jews specifically to feed pork to the dogs.

I heard that The World Rabbinical Council announced that Jews can now indulge in bacon, ham, and other porcine delights..but I am not sure if it is true.

There are more reasons here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_restrictions_on_the_consumption_of_pork

hmansfield, Jul 15, 2009 IP
    Karen May Jones likes this.
  4. avatar33

Best Answers:
    hmansfield interesting explanation but I can can guarantee you that it is NOT okay to eat pork for jews lol... I know many of them and none of them eat bacon, ham, sausage or stuff like that, although no one gave me an explanation that holds itself.

5. Bradders

Bradders Member

Best Answers:
    Coz that tastey stuff keeps me alive! helps me gain weight, helps me to keep my phisique,

Life has a food chain and we are at the top, maybe under dinosaurs and sharks lol, but animals eat the grass and we eat them :) simple's :D

pork is tooooooooo tastey not to eat! om nomnomnom!!

Bradders, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Basically, just read the Tora/Old Testament.

The Book of Leviticus states:
    “ Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

I personally feel like God is giving us the scripture as a way to let us know what is good for us, but if you do not share the belief, then maybe you can still agree that pork indeed is not good for you.

Of course, Jesus said it is ok to decide for yourself what you eat, but from what I understand, pork is something you may be better off avoiding to begin with.

Not sure about camel. Never have had camel steak before and never read any scientific statements regarding how healthy it may or may not be to eat it.

Blogmaster, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  7. Bradders

Bradders Member

Best Answers:
    My friends dog done this haha!

Bradders, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  8. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Because it's a tasty meat. Not, as is the case with the religious, i have been told to and have blindly acceped it in blind, unquestioning obedience.

stOx, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Do you think pork is good for you? Sure I like the taste, but it is one of the worst things that you can possibly eat. I am not talking about pleasing God, but your body and well being.

Blogmaster, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  10. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    No religion is worth giving up bacon for!!

Firegirl, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  11. bilgi

bilgi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why chinese people eats cats and dogs and lots of terrible things?
    Why dotn you eat them?

is Pork eatable? Is it delicious or terrible?

For me, it is not good, i donot like alcohol and dont smoke too...
    Do you?

bilgi, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  12. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Some of that comes from poverty. If you are starving long enough, you will stew up any protein that you can find.

Personally, I am not Jewish or Muslim, so my God didn't tell me that bacon was a sin, or unclean. I have to defer to Chris Rock on this one:

" Back in the day before we had proper processing and refrigeration, a pork chop might have killed you, but today...I'll eat a pig's ass if you cook it right.":)

13. pingpong123

pingpong123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im a former steakhouse cook and I cant resist a good well done cooked piece of pork. Of course, I will respect their beliefs if My jewish or muslim friends are there with me cause I know their beliefs, but dudes, that stuff is tasty lol.

pingpong123, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  14. MooBaa

MooBaa Peon

Best Answers:
    If they do not eat pork you just have to respect their wishes and be thankful there is more for everyone else.

MooBaa, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  15. Kosmix5

Kosmix5 Peon

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, there are too many people who conspicuously pay attention to strict dietary laws but ignore every other moral guideline.

Kosmix5, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  16. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah. I know plenty of Jews that don't eat pork, but smoke like chimneys, drink like fish, and sleep around.
    It's like a vegetarian that wears leather.:rolleyes:

17. SonnyCooL

SonnyCooL Peon

Best Answers:
    cause they believe in same GOD ....
    Yeah i can't give up bacon :)

Blogmaster : there a lot other stuff u need to avoid and proven is not good for health, like MCdonald, coke, cigarette, beer and bla bla ...

SonnyCooL, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  18. Dodara

Dodara Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can read here Islam, Judaism and scientific view of pork:

Source: http://www.themodernreligion.com/misc/hh/pork.html

Dodara, Jul 15, 2009 IP
    jonslack likes this.
  19. madihrb

madihrb Member

Best Answers:
    There is not much theories, some thing in religion are not allowed.

Same in Islam and Judaism.

madihrb, Jul 15, 2009 IP
  20. ChaosTrivia

ChaosTrivia Active Member

Best Answers:
    In Judaism, mammals that both chew their cud (ruminate) and have cloven hooves can be kosher (or, allowed to be eaten).
    Pigs, in spite of their cloven hooves, remain non-kosher because they lack the cud-chewing.
    In Islam, eating pig is relatively a "worst sin" in comparison with Judaism, since pigs fulfill 1 of the 2 requirements. For example, in Judaism, eating See food is much more "sinful".

Then whats the story about pigs? why have pigs, above all animals, become a symbol and earned this thread?
    The reason is that in the middle ages and early modern era, the jews lived among the christians, who eat pig for breakfast, dinner, and supper. Refraining from eating pig has therefore turned into a symbol of keeping the jewish rules. Something that tells jews from non-jews apart.

ChaosTrivia, Jul 15, 2009 IP