1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do LinkBacks from Myspace come back as Unresolved and not Unique Visitors?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by woahdolla, Jul 7, 2006.

Am I the only one having this problem? The link backs I get from myspace, MOST of them (about 80-90%) come back as unresolved IP, very few as unique visitors.

Like in AW stats, the category under "connect to site from"

Everything else is like 13 / 13, or 20 / 20 as far as pages / hits.

Every link from myspace though is like 20 / 500....

I know Im getting traffic from myspace but most unresolved therefor not counting towards impressions / clicks, why?

woahdolla, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  2. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have similar things - depending on how you have your site up, it's likely/possible that the 20/500 sort of number from Myspace (I have that ratio too) is that the number, to my belief, is for Pages/Hits - so it means that you have resources on your site that MySpace users are linking to on your site, thus generating a hit (second column), but not necessarily viewing a page to see this information, thus not generating a pageview (first column). At least, this is my understanding of it in Awstats.

Telmari, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  3. woahdolla

woahdolla Peon

Best Answers:
    This cannot be the case.

Again, any link from any other source (message boards, google adwords) etc, is coming back as 13/13, 60/60 etc etc..

If a user visits me from adwords, they are STILL getting the same item hits as myspace visits, ie pictures, audio I have on my site etc.

Not to mention, again, when advertisign with myspace, I have like 60 uniques and 5000+ unresolved IP's...

Something is screwed up with the myspace link backs... Anyone know wahts going on?

4. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    I always wondered if that second number was direct links to images, if people are hotlinking me from myspace.

ServerUnion, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  5. woahdolla

woahdolla Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think that has anything to do with it honestly.

Could this be myspace having a global "no follow" script or something?

Ill say it again, when advertising using myspace only, I come back with like 50 unique visitors / 5000+ unresolved IP's.

5,000! people are coming to my site but that wouldnt help me at all with a ad's company. I talked to value click and they said they erase all unresolved IP impressions:(

6. woahdolla

woahdolla Peon

Best Answers:
  7. Agent47

Agent47 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess that might have something to do with proxy. Myspace.com is not accessible directly in most of the schools/universities' labs and people can have access to it via some proxy servers or websites that offer free proxy. So possibly this can be the reason the IPs remain unresolved. Am not sure about this but this is what I think. :)

Agent47, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  8. dna_05

dna_05 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think that is because you display images on myspace profiles, if people just watch images it will make bigger the right number (hits), if they actually click and go to your site it will count as a visit.

dna_05, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  9. woahdolla

woahdolla Peon

Best Answers:
    I can see how this might affect the number of visits versus hits

But wouldnt that still be 1/2?

If I have a image hyperlink, image located on my server, they click it, thats one visit / one hit for the image... So it would be..

1/2 (visit / hit)

It should only be 1/2 would your theory.

My stats look like 11/4000 - not quite the same:rolleyes:

also, your theory dosent explain the 50 uniques / 5000 unresolved IP's im clocking.

10. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, sorry, I didn't clarify on this... What I meant was not that the website itself is *linking to you* (aka, they have on their site a link that has your URL as the hyperlink destination)... but rather they are linking your resource, aka, your image, your icon, your layout, your xxxxxx... etc.

For an example, on my myspace site, I have this in my awstats for one of my months:

Links from an external page Pages Percent Hits Percent
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm 1151 95.6 % 4220 90.6 %

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming this is at least similar to what you're referring to.

So in this case, while myspace profiles have generated 1151 pageviews (aka, someone on myspace has clicked on a link directly using link text or an image link to my website and thus viewed a page), there have been 4220 hits (or resource requests) to the website in the form of images, layouts, cursors, banners, etc etc.. anything OTHER than .html, php, asp, cgi pages etc... from this URL on myspace.com which therefore of course may not have had any pageview or visit to my site associated with them.

Thus, if a user loads up their own page on myspace (in this case their profile), on which they happen to have 5 images that are actually sourced directly from my server, it will register 5 "hits" on my traffic report here, even though they've never actually viewed a single page on the site (well, for this visit anyway.... they probably had to visit it some time before to get the link..).

I think that would explain the disproportionate pageviews/hits. In this case, as long as it's not hosing up your bandwidth, I think the more, the better! Each time you have a hit for an image or something *even without a pageview*, it means that someone was looking at a page that had your content (and therefore, hopefully an associated link to your website) on, giving you that much more opportunity to attract viewers. At least, that's how I see it :)

As for the uniques/unresolved IPs, that's kind of weird... not quite sure what to say on that one.

Telmari, Jul 7, 2006 IP