1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do content writers charge only $0.01 per word

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by gvannorman, Nov 12, 2009.

1. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    gvannorman: I would say first stick with what you are doing. Educate yourself on those things first before you offer services. The last thing you want to do is get hired and then do a bad job from it, in the end resulting in -negative itrader-. One thing that you should consider is getting a dummy book on press releases. I've been thinking about doing that myself. It might sound silly getting a dummy book but they really do help.

DreamingBig, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  2. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good idea. I was looking at the AP Stylebook....but a Dummy Book is probably a better choice. Ill check Amazon.
    Thanks

gvannorman, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  3. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No problem! Don't forget eBay but yes, the books on Amazon are awesome. I just recently purchased one book to improve my writing skills from Amazon for one cent lol (not including shipping, it's second hand but still in mint condition!) :)

DreamingBig, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  4. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Simply put:

You have to charge so little because you're servicing a market with low expectations, demands and profit.

marketjunction, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  5. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Namely people who earn from Adsense or other such services.

Businesses, people whose sites are related to their offline business and so on are the ones you must target, if you want to get paid more. Targeting the right customers is extremely important.
    (I should stop giving away these great secrets publicly and for free. Time to write that ebook "101 ways to improve your earnings from freelance writing".:D)

lightless, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  6. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Except you would need to know what it is you are writing about

I don't know where you got the idea people who use Adsense are making little revenues, but you are dead wrong.

You're not giving away any secrets......just information that is baseless at best.....:rolleyes:

Sem-Advance, Nov 21, 2009 IP
  7. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I never said that everyone who uses Adsense makes little revenue, though the majority seem to.

Look at the context of my reply.
    Most people who buy articles here usually put them on their sites (Most of which are adsense monetized). Adsense monetized sites make comparatively little revenue compared to businesses and sites which bring customers to the website owner's offline/online business. Hence they pay low per article. If profits were going through the roof, why do these people pay so low per article?

You know all those people who write e-books that have so little information of value and mundane oft well known information packaged as secrets?

Just because I said "Secret" doesn't mean I think it is a secret. :rolleyes:

P.S I run many Adsense monetized sites myself. So Adsense isn't exactly rocket science to me.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
    lightless, Nov 21, 2009 IP
  8. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    If these people who are just purchasing articles from writers are just making pennies then maybe they need to rethink the type of blogs that they are building. If you really want to make money with just Adsense then I say build your blog on one of the higher paying niches. It is not rocket science. Its all common sense.

gvannorman, Nov 21, 2009 IP
  9. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Even if the blogs belong to higher paying niches such as loans, mortgages and such, their income is not guaranteed. Having a top quality site or one that ranks well in search engines or such will help. Income from sites, no matter the niche, also depends on how good the owner is at monetizing the site, his experience in the niche and many other factors.

lightless, Nov 21, 2009 IP
  10. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well you are right in that most people do not earn much with Adsense. Which if Google would terminate low earning accounts would boost the revenues serious Adsense publishers earn. As it is now the pie is cut so many times it is almost crumbs people are fed.

Poorly written articles + Adsense ads for escape = Revenues

Basically they make the visitor want to leave their site by clicking the adsense ads....

Somehow thugly makes money. I know an injury lawyer with the ugliest landing pages ever known to man, knocking back $5mil a year.....

And I mean Thugly!!!!!!!!

Fair enough, I was probably being an ass for not having one of those e-books for sale myself.....:eek:
    ----
    ---
    --
    -

Sem-Advance, Nov 22, 2009 IP
  11. HR_MBA

HR_MBA Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a native English speaker with a Masters degree, but I doubt I'd ever do content creation business with anyone on these forums... Most of the work is just regurgitating old crap for a pitiful rate. If your English skills are at a good enough level, why not proofread or edit assignments (IRL, not online) for students at a much higher rate?

HR_MBA, Nov 23, 2009 IP
  12. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You can earn far more in the content creation business than you could proofreading for students. It's all in how you go about it. If you're looking for advertised gigs here you won't pull that off. To get the higher paying gigs you need to build a reputation and network instead. There are plenty of big-budget clients here, many of whom never visit the marketplace or even post actively. They read discussion threads in other sections, and if someone's style appeals to them they visit their portfolios (a link in their signature usually) and hire the writer privately.

jhmattern, Nov 23, 2009 IP
  13. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    I was browsing the content creation forum and came across this response to a WTB thread

Hello, It seems that you are in quest of perfect writing capability with the essential flair. No problem, I am here to help you to have the most cherished result that you would , I am sure, must connoisseur for a long time.If you want to cast a glance at my article referred to you as sample I think you would not be disappointed at all.

I am not going to mention the posters name, but I just love these writers who use these words to describe what they want to write. Essential Flair, Cherished Result, must connoisseur LOL

gvannorman, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  14. Tess_T

Tess_T Peon

Best Answers:
    I would never write for .01 per word! In the first place, don't you value your time and creativity? A writer who writes quality content and takes the time to do some research (if needed) will sometimes take an hour or more to create a good article, and I can't understand why anyone would value their skills so low.

I agree with jhmattern - you need to find the right market. People will pay for exceptional content. I don't charge an exorbitant price by any means, and I make a very good living! Good enough that my husband nor myself have to work outside the home.

Do what you have to do to get what your skills and time are worth.

Tess_T, Nov 24, 2009 IP
  15. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    I just checked out your site. Very nice. I just got my site up. Have to start getting some samples up and get my portfolio built for my clients to view.

I do appreciate all the information you guys are giving me.

gvannorman, Nov 25, 2009 IP