1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do buyers add insult to injury with these kinds of comments?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Senobia, Aug 19, 2010.

Say you've got a guy offering some assinine rate of a half a cent per word or less. In his ad, he states something to the effect of "could turn into a full time gig" or "I have lots of work for you" or "There's plenty more where that came from".

Okay ..so?

Does he do this to make himself feel better about paying such a low rate, justifying it by offering scads of pieces at the paltry price - so that maybe, eventually it averages out to a decent sum?

That's all I can think of as to the reasoning behind posts like these.

What say you?

Senobia, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  2. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's none of those. It's the "hey I'll give you lots of work therefore you should give me a big giant discount" come on.

YMC, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  3. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, gee! I forgot about that.

Let's see..what's half a percent of one cent divided in bulk?

Free.

That's what they want!

Good call, YMC.

Senobia, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  4. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    best not to respond to people who are so far out of your ballpark. you'll only be wasting both your, and his time.

contentboss, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  5. bumba1988

bumba1988 Active Member

Best Answers:
    In general, those "Long Term" deals are just there to justify the low rates, as I believe. But, sometimes it can be true too. Who will plan not to work with someone for regular basis, if the writer produces quality content for such a low price (That's rare anyway)!

bumba1988, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  6. KreativeSoft

KreativeSoft Peon

Best Answers:
    for me, they are simply kidding :D lol...on a serious note, i think such ads are basically meant to capture freelance workers from the Asia pacific states like India, pakistan and Bangladesh..the writers from these places give quality writing for less, mainly because if you convert dollars or pounds in their currency...its a lot!

KreativeSoft, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  7. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Senobia

I looked at your comments, your website, and an article. Conclusion: You are your own worst enemy holding you back. You have the ability to write (although not SEO), and it is time you take a stand. You appear as a maid.

Your web page came across all the maid services you could do, yet it never told me what I wanted to hear. I want to know, if I present you with $20.00 am I going to make $30 or $300. Where is the proof? Your samples give references to some of the poorest sites on the internet.

Start establishing some credibility. Specialize in one or two areas. Quit fooling around with lowlife buyers on DP. Learn a little bit more skill, and start finding all the professionals that need your help. Quit being a job hunter. It is time for you to control the situation, right now you are letting the situation control you.

-------maybe you wanted pity, I believe you need to understand the future is yours, if the money does not come to you, just learn to go to the money----

dyadvisor, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  8. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Kreative - I think so, too - and, yes it is a lot! The conversion rate between the USD and the India rupee is something like 46.50 rupees to $1USD. *sigh*

dyadvisor-

Thank you for your (failed, way off-base, unwanted and irrelevant to this thread) critique of my services and my website. You do know what NDAs are, right? And how they limit you in what you're able to use as a reference, credential or sample? That's how the majority of my private client base is handled - under the dictation of an NDA. If you don't know what an NDA is, you should educate yourself before commenting in the future.

I am extremely happy with my site, my clients are extremely happy with my services and I am extremely confident in my abilities as a freelance writer. You are surely entitled to your opinion, but really - what does your opinion matter in the grand scheme of things?

Senobia, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  9. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    THEN WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF YOUR POST? "you wanna hear/read/see more?" Your signature line

TO GET SYMPATHY?

We already know there are so many low wage payers, and so many low wage workers, what does this have to do with quality writing.

DON'T ASK FOR OPINIONS, AS OPINIONS CAN VARY.

I make an effort to get rid of them. If no one responded to their requests they would have to raise their price. Do you know what FUB means?

dyadvisor, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  10. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What does any of this have to do with my original question (Why do buyers add insult to injury with these kinds of comments?) ...which you must have lost sight of while dissecting my website.

I don't recall asking you for anything, much less your opinion.

Yeah. I said this about a week and 27 pages of posts ago.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
    Senobia, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  11. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    A 2 liter bottle of coke costs $1 in convenience stores in the USA. The same costs Rs.70 in India. :rolleyes:

parsibagan, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  12. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    At convenience stores in the USA, they would cost $2 or more. So maybe it evens out in the end...eh.

Senobia, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  13. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Comparing the prices of hard goods is exactly why the price discrepancy has become so easy for some to justify. The issue in pricing web services isn't about how much it costs to buy a bottle of soda or a loaf of bread, it's about how much the buyer can earn from the written work. Since the Internet is a true global economy, two people selling the same product with a $10 commission both receive the same commission no matter how much a loaf of bread might cost in their country. Therefore, two writers, who provide content for those two affiliates, should also be paid the same because the potential value of their work ($10 X the number of sales) is the same.

The only factor that should come into play when it comes to price is a writer's talent, not their location.

As to the original point of this thread...learn to ignore the jerks around here, there's plenty of professionals here who value the work of others and are more than willing to pay accordingly.

YMC, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  14. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well said!

Senobia, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  15. homeworker11

homeworker11 Banned

Best Answers:
    Perhaps they think we're slaves of them :(
    Writers should unite and fight with those screwed ones :D

homeworker11, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  16. marshalprince

marshalprince Peon

Best Answers:
    what I believe is if they are looking for some work in cheap and offering you more work in near future then you can take a chance because all this is about customer relationship. May be in near future it turned out to be a great resource of your income so it all depands on the person whom you dealing with..

marshalprince, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  17. tjmiller

tjmiller Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't worry. If someone goes the super-cheap route, even once, it doesn't take long to figure out what a mistake that is.

Unless of course, they can't recognize the mistake, and in that case, they are not who you want to work for anyway!

Teresa

tjmiller, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  18. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Correct! and I appreciate that Senobia appreciates it to. What I cannot fathom is her appreciating Kreativesoft's post which changed the direction of this thread by calculating the value of the INR viv a vis the USD.

I'm sure the `well said' was not targeted at jerks, because she does practice what she... ;)

parsibagan, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  19. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    They won't... they just want to undercut each other. Just check out the mayhem at freelancers... 40 cents per article propah grammah (sorry, that was my stiff upper lip)

parsibagan, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  20. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Right on! *nods*

Senobia, Aug 24, 2010 IP