1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why DMOZ is the best directory on the Internet

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Will.Spencer, Sep 25, 2004.

This thread is about why DMOZ is the best directory on the Internet.

This thread is not about why DMOZ is one of the worst directories on the Internet. There are many other threads for that discussion on just about every relevant web forum and newsgroup. Please do not post messages documenting DMOZ's many failures in this thread.

The reason that DMOZ is the best directory on the Internet is due to it's many mirrors. Some of these mirrors are complete, many are only partial mirrors. Some mirrors add little additional content, other mirrors match DMOZ data with data from other sources in attempts to create additional value for the web user. One of their mirrors is the Google directory, one of the important directories on the Internet.

Knowing this simple fact, how can we use this data to help build a better Internet?

Many of us operate web directories. Most of us could start a new web directory in less than a day. Each of those directories is, however, small and independent. They are weak where DMOZ is strong.

Competition is good. To compete with DMOZ, a new directory must be significantly sized and it must have significant presence across the Internet. To grow rapidly to this necessary size, it must accept data from many sources. To have significant support across the Internet, it must be mirrored across many web sites, much as DMOZ is.

In addition, mirroring will distribute hardware and bandwidth costs at the core. In fact, the core of the new directory may not allow searches at all! It may simply point users to mirrors of the database which are open to the public.

The goals of significant database size and significant Internet presence can be lumped together under the term "critical mass".

Critical mass is what it will take to unseat DMOZ as the best (sic) directory on the Internet.

Will.Spencer, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm almost surprised someone hasn't surpassed DMOZ yet. since their data is free, it shouldn't be all that hard to do- start with their data, their structure, nix all the current editors, nix the current queue, and start signing up new editors.

from there, it could grown into its own unique directory, hopefully one without the problems dmoz has- but still with the primary feature dmoz has- the whole directory would still be available for free.

disgust, Sep 25, 2004 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  3. PRBot.Com

PRBot.Com Guest

Best Answers:
    PRBot.Com, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  4. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Well personally I don't think it is the best directory on the internet - the thread should really be called 'How can we improve DMOZ' to make it the best directory on the internet.

I am not saying that DMOZ is the worst - it's certainly not but like any business (mine included) you have to look at the bad areas and improve them and take confidence and appreciation of the good areas about the business.

DMOZ is a great directory simply because of the volume of websites on there compared to other directories. When I was completing a course two years ago it helped me a lot with my studies - finding websites which provided me with information. I was confident knowing if I went to a specific category there would be sites that could help me without spending time searching the SE's

I have no doubt that the editors do a great job and there's not many directories that provide a forum where webmasters can come and find more information about the directory and get updates on their submission.

Darren :)

DarrenC, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  5. hooter

hooter Member

Best Answers:
    No, you're working on scamming people for their email address so you can turn around and spam them with your brain-dead musings on stocks and the like. In addition you have ripped off the software you are currently using to drive this dreck called zonebot

View here people:
    http://forums.seochat.com/showthread.php?t=15861&page=2&pp=15

The whole thread is increasingly entertaining but be sure to get as far as post# 22 in the thread. This guy is a plague on whatever/wherever he goes.

hooter, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  6. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

you have alot of work to do yet

joeychgo, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  7. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
  8. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ PROS
    -Better then google when looking on a broad topic because you get 1 listing per site
    -Considered highly by google and helps pass pr to sites it lists and passes 200-300 backlinks
    -Free submissions, and as such, more advantageous to the small webmaster who cant afford $300 to list-so it helps expand the internet by helping new little guys be more competitive with the bigger guys
    -PRbot.com cant get in

DMOZ CONS
    -Negative image with webmasters
    -Many editors really need an attitude adjustment.
    -Much of content is included or not included because of bias instead of quality
    -Much of directory is not updated with any consistancy, and good sites get lost in ths shuffle and dead links remain in directory for long periods of time

:)

9. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Joey - well put! I agree with all of your pros and cons, especially the PRbot.com comment :D

DarrenC, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  10. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow that zonebot guy is very funy, he's copied DMOZ listings and violated the Open Directory Terms of Service, he's going nowhere fast.

macdesign, Sep 25, 2004 IP
  11. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

How did he violate the TOS?

:cool:

12. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    macdesign, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  13. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    hmmm so the ODP thing on the bottom isnt enough?

joeychgo, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  14. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    macdesign, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  15. leer

leer Peon

Best Answers:
    And no, what he has added is not sufficient according to the license. The apply and submit links must correspond with the category within DMOZ where the listing on that page are displayed. Take a look at some of the site listed in http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/.../Open_Directory_Project/Sites_Using_ODP_Data/ and hover over the links to see the path in the URL's on their attribution.

As a result for the purpose of ODP guidelines we treat it as if it is an illegal site and thus rendering it immediately unlistable within the directory - full stop. And it won't be sneaking past any gates either :)

leer, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  16. PRBot.Com

PRBot.Com Guest

Best Answers:
    leer, you know full well that we have a different directory structure and different directory names. We talked about this, so what you were asking for is not workable because if we put in the plug as you guys suggest people would be sent to 404 error pages on DMOZ.

I sent in a request for another option.

PRBot.Com, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  17. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well - there ya go

joeychgo, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  18. thedude

thedude Guest

Best Answers:
    He did that over at vBulletin too. Originality is definately not his thing. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showpost.php?p=516371&postcount=49

One other thing, anyone notice that at his ZoneBot website there aren't actually any links other than Google ads in the directories, yet on the main page they appear to be populated with thousands of sites?

Interesting...

thedude, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  19. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
  20. thedude

thedude Guest

Best Answers:
    I should correct myself. I am seeing SOME websites, but not nearly the thousands of websites that his pages show.

My educated guess is that this site will die like all of the others he's made. I suspect that he's added the sites in there himself, because the message board he's set up does not attribute that many people ahve visited his site. He wants to make it look active. However, a message board is really a reflection on how many people visit a website, and his is empty.

And no Joey, I haven't seen any of your sites in there. I've tried looking in the appropriate categories. I could be missing them, but knowing Max I'd say otherwise.

The search function on it also isn't working. That site is extremely misleading and I'd stay away from putting a link in it with a 10 foot pole.

thedude, Sep 26, 2004 IP