1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Dmoz is not listing me

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ebangla, May 27, 2006.

I have a forum Here

I submitted it to DMOZ about a month ago but there is no response from them. As this a forum I can't create link page to get back link from other people website. I after reading carefully all the instruction submitted it but ALAS!!

I don't think it is because of freehost because I found people with free blogs get listed in DMOZ..

What to do?:confused: :(

ebangla, May 27, 2006 IP
  2. SiteExpress

SiteExpress Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First, I would recommend having a forum with more than 24 members. Second, wait longer than a month before wondering why you have not been listed. Many people wait several months.

SiteExpress, May 27, 2006 IP
    Seiya and ResaleBroker like this.
  3. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    To be accepted by DMOZ, your our site has to be better, or offer an unique content/experience, when compared to other sites in the category you applied. I do not think your site will be accepted because there is far too little content.

It can take days or longer than 3 years before an editor even looks at your submission.

Do not submit your site again because that can send it back to the bottom of the list. DMOZ - submit and hope you get lucky, but it isn't the end of the world if you don't get accepted (and the vast majority of sites do not get accepted). I have about a dozen DMOZ listed sites and it is highly overrated. You could not tell which of my sites are listed and which ones are not by looking at the SERPS, and the traffic you'll get is very, very, small - and I think most of it is webmasters looking for link exchanges.

You used to get the benefit of a backlink from all the DMOZ clones, but google is now discounting or ignoring most of them anyway.

mjewel, May 27, 2006 IP
    Seiya likes this.
  4. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with SiteExpress and mjewel, you need much more content to be listed by dmoz. Since you've already submitted you should forget about dmoz and concentrate on building your site and growing your forum. Maybe it will be ready for a listing by the time an editor reviews it. It's also possible that it will be rejected by then so you should plan to resubmit when you have a lot of members and content if it's not yet listed.

compostannie, May 27, 2006 IP
    Seiya likes this.
  5. khakha

khakha Peon

Best Answers:
    Some sites are waiting for more than six months to get listed in dmoz :(

khakha, May 27, 2006 IP
  6. buratssky

buratssky Peon

Best Answers:
    Huh ? But if this is a possibility then my friend if it is your site then you have to move forward. Waiting for the apple dropping down from the branch would be a tremendous wait time and its not productive for you.

buratssky, May 27, 2006 IP
    dogbows likes this.
  7. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Some sites will wait forever if they are not listable. ;) Six months is about average for a listable site in a category not prone to excessive spam. But average covers sites waiting six hours to six years (both ends of the spectrum are extreme exceptions).

brizzie, May 27, 2006 IP
  8. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    All you forums are like this

"You can gain full access to
    this great service simply after you first 20 posts."

Except there's nothing in there....there's no point

Dekker, May 27, 2006 IP
    Alucard and Seiya like this.
  9. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    too much emphasis is being put on a dmoz listing. I have never had a site listed in dmoz and my traffic does just fine. instead of concerning yourself with this 1 minor link (that'll bring negligible traffic), get others that will bring it.

lorien1973, May 27, 2006 IP
    helleborine and minstrel like this.
  10. whitebmw

whitebmw Peon

Best Answers:
    My site take 8 months.

whitebmw, Nov 12, 2006 IP
  11. kisig

kisig Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, if DMOZ has this rule "not to submit again after you've submitted", how we will know when to sumbit again, and how we will know if we are rejected, do they send us an e-mail saying so?

kisig, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  12. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow nearly as old as this thread. :)

What makes you think you should ever submit again if the rules at dmoz say not to submit again? You submission doesn't ever expire, nothing happens to it until someone acts upon it. That action is either to list, reject, or move to the correct category for review by someone else. No you will not be notified of any of the possible actions when taken. If your site was miss-suggested to the wrong category then it will be moved appropriately, if it meets the guidelines it will eventually be listed, and if its not listable then it will be rejected. Resubmitting an unlistable site again will not make it listable the second, third, upmteen time.

copperdrum, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  13. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Oh please.... :rolleyes:

Even DMOZ editors cannot seem to agree on whether or how often to resubmit a site so lose the condescension. Save it for the Resourceless Zone.

As for "it will eventually be listed", that's hardly helpful now, is it? This is part (but only part) of the problem with DMOZ. The previous poster asked a reasonable question. If you can't provide a reasonable answer, just don't bother.

minstrel, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  14. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    Here are a few simple suggestions.
    - make sure you have read the dmoz guidelines at least twice
    - make sure you submitted to the most appropriate category (very important)
    - be sure you have good useable content that is not repeating what you can find on other web sites listed in the directory.
    - It is widely accepted by most editors to go ahead and suggest your site a second time after 6 months (but I recommend after a year). Keep in mind that this will cause your suggested site to move the bottom of the unreviewed list if the editor views by date (which many do).

Beyond that, there is not much else to do. Good luck. :)

jjwill, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    OR

forget about all above and pay an editor for "SEO" project and get listed in couple of days. ;)

gworld, Nov 13, 2006 IP
    Seiya likes this.
  16. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    Well the last thing I wanted to be was condescending, my apologies if that is the way it came across.
    You should only submit once as instructed. There is no reason to resubmit as the original suggestion doesn't expire.
    You won't know unless you find an editor who is willing to perform a status check.
    No.

I thought it would be more 'reasonable' to try and answer the questions and explain some of the processes involved also. Guess I was wrong.

copperdrum, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  17. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    You should really stop all that winking gworld, people might get the wrong idea and think you are trying to be sly.

jjwill, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  18. mmatchev

mmatchev Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have submited my web site to dmoz for 12 months, but nothing happens!
    It's still not added !!!

mmatchev, Nov 14, 2006 IP
  19. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, that is not uncommon. Also, if the site in question is any of the ones listed at the bottom of your post, the first thing I see is affiliate links that tend to turn away editors without a significant amount of new unique content your site would bring to the directory. Realty in general is a very spammy cat so I would expect a long wait time.

jjwill, Nov 14, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  20. copperdrum

copperdrum Peon

Best Answers:
    It also should be noted that not all sites submitted will be included, so submitting a site doesn't mean that it will be added. It must meet the guidelines to be included. :)

copperdrum, Nov 14, 2006 IP