1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why can't we decide what click payments should be?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by AmaZulu, Apr 21, 2007.

I think I have wasted a lot of time and energy trying to get adsense to work the so called "miracle" for me. I earn enough to pay for the site hosting and that's about it, despite the fact that I get 20,000 unique visitors a month. The most I ever got in one day has been about $10. Most days it averages $2. That's just not enough considering the amount of work I put into my site.

If I could make $100 per day I would be really happy, but I've tried just about everything I know, still I can't crack it.

What I would like to know is why the webmaster, who actually owns the media being advertised on, isn't allowed to set a minimum price per click for ads that are flighted on their websites?

Google is in effect an intermediary, so why are they acting only in the advertisers best interests and not the media owners?

AmaZulu, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  2. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. How can we possibly decide how much a click should be worth. Of course we would all want an infinate amount.:rolleyes:

qwestcommunications, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  3. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    I think google will improve click prices over the next year. They will not want people paying very little per click. They make less and so do publishers.

I agree i have seen clicks as low as 1/2 cent and that is not worth my time. I do filter sites and make sure i use top paying keywords for the sites but i still see some low 1 to 3 cent clicks every now and then.

I think they should have minimum price per click paid to publishers.

rcj662, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  4. Pierce

Pierce Active Member

Best Answers:
    well, this might surprise you.. but if you advertise for 1c, google takes there cut before giving it to the publisher...

so google really doesnt care, the only thing that will determine cost per click is the niche, the amount of other people doing it, and the number of other people doing it.

Google will never try to influence the cost a publisher pays. However, recently in adwords they have got a "prefered cost" setup where a publisher says, i want to pay exactly 13c a click, and you can now do that.

Pierce

Pierce, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  5. leandar

leandar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    how many time did you read DP , is that 1st post in DP or do you have other account here ? if your new member of DP you have to reach at 500 post here to get $100 a day from adsense .

leandar, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  6. teamshop

teamshop Plainsman

Best Answers:
    If you don't like what Google is paying, you always have the option of putting your own advertising program in place of the Google ads, but of course you'll have to spend the time and money attracting advertisers, then you'll have spend more time and energy managing everything but at least you'll be charging what you think your ad space is worth, doesn't mean you'll get it, but maybe you'll feel better...

teamshop, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  7. sandrodz

sandrodz Peon

Best Answers:
    you are not correct. statement of the user above is true.

Imagine if google takes 50% of the click before giving it to you. Now you have a 1$ worth click, you take 50cents google takes another 50cents - now imagine if clicks get cheap, you get 1cent worth of click, you take 0.005 google takes 0.005cents. Now reflect over this, and try to think about the thing u wrote.

Google does care... half of their revenues this year was from publishers all over the world. Smart pricing will affect their revenues too, and if next year organization doesn't show good income to shareholders, they may have trouble holding current price of shares.

sandrodz, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  8. Pierce

Pierce Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its relitive though. If a click is going for $1, then its not possible to advertise in the same area for 1c. Google capitalizes well on these clicks, and by having 1c clicks they attract more people. And by having a variable costing where you pay as little as possible attracts you to put more into AdWords.

If the minimum was $1 for each click, there would be a lot less people in adwords. Sure Google would be making there 50c at least for every click, but would be missing out on all thoes people who only play with the minimum click cost.

It used to be 5c clicks, then they removed that. They are not going to backcycle on that decision as theres no reason to.

Google has been on the stockmarket for quiet a while, if they were so worried about the minimum cpc they would have changed it by now.

The sheer volume of clicks on any given day is staggering. At $0.005c a click, 1,000 clicks is $5, 1,000,000 is $5,000 so on and so forth. Lets say your one of the unlucky ones that gets this $0.005c for each click, thats 20,000 clicks before you make it to $100! Google can capitalizes on this because of the minimum $100, while its in there bank they can invest it, and earn a percentage on it. Making money on your money!

So to me it makes perfect sense for google to accomodate minimum click costs.

Pierce

Pierce, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  9. sandrodz

sandrodz Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think this statement makes sense, it would make sense if number of clicks per day would be increasing everyday. Obviously number of clicks google receives through whole media is relatively fixed, I would say there are margins within which it fluctuates, but there are no significant changes.

But its poor speculation, we don't know whats google thinking.

sandrodz, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  10. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    What exactly is $0.005c? I think you're saying half a cent, but the $ and the "c" don't belong together. It's either $0.005 or 0.5c

Adpubster, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  11. ThisBuzz

ThisBuzz Peon

Best Answers:
    Amazulu, judging from your username, I could warrant a guess u may be from SA and being located there can also affect your click payments.

Hang in there, keep working on your site and look for alternative advertising to run alongside Adsense

keep plugging away

ThisBuzz, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  12. AmaZulu

AmaZulu Peon

Best Answers:
    My feeling on this is that my website could do without the advertisers that Google is giving the space away to for next to nothing. I'd rather have fewer advertisers paying me better money than myriads of advertisers that I don't get any noticeable reward from, and who crowd out my site.

If I had a mechanism whereby I could say that only advertisers who were going to pay me a minimum of $(x) to have their adverts appear on my site, I would be happy with that. If its $0.05c or $5 is irrelevant. The market will ultimately pay what they think exposure on your site is worth, so if you're asking too much for a click, they won't advertise. It's that simple.

As things currently stand I have no say in the matter with Google and to my free-thinking mind that's not fair. That's a bit exploitative.

Sure, google has made it possible for me to find advertisers without any real effort on my part, but I don't think that the effort I put into making the site a cool place is being rewarded fairly.

AmaZulu, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  13. ThisBuzz

ThisBuzz Peon

Best Answers:
    Try Adbrite

set a price you think people should pay for a text ad (etc) and see what comes from it

ThisBuzz, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  14. kizza

kizza Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol, i agree its a bit confusing and annoying, but i hope we all realise he means 0.5c.

kizza, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  15. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry, I have to disagree bigtime with this. Have you tried to figure out how much time it would take you to go around, search out advertisers, convince them to advertise on your site, and then negotiate prices with them? Quite a bit of time, I daresay. Google is doing that for you, eliminating the need for you to spend that time which you can now devote to maintaining your site.

16. Fka200

Fka200 Guest

Best Answers:
    IF YOU WANT TO DO THAT, GO WITH ADBRITE!

People don't realize there are ALTERNATIVES that allow you do anything you want. Text-to-Ads or whatever does the same. SHOP AROUND!

If Adsense isn't working for you, before going on an Adsense bashing rampage, try some other people out first. We are all webmasters, we should understand that there are different ways of creating revenue streams!!!!!!!

Fka200, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  17. AmaZulu

AmaZulu Peon

Best Answers:
    Not bashing Google at all, but just asking why we can't have a system that is a little more transparent and where the publishers get a little bit more say on how much the advertisers are allowed to bid to get exposure on your site.

I will have a look at Adbrite, but I don't think they will send me cheques to SA (yes, I am from South Africa).

AmaZulu, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  18. zodiac

zodiac Peon

Best Answers:
    the correct way is 0.5¢ :p

zodiac, Apr 21, 2007 IP
  19. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    Going a bit OT now, but I had to look this one up. The way it was represented on the actual half cent 200 years ago: 1/200 which makes sense since you would reference the official monetary unit of the country ($), not a fraction (cent) of it :)

Now, back to our regularly scheduled diatribe about setting ad prices....

20. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    20,000 unique visitors a month.

Here is your answer per month is low to earn serious money try that number to be reached each day ...

Plus olso you can try besides adsense afilliates or selling links

w3bmaster, Apr 21, 2007 IP