1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why can't I beat this lousy site?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by christian231, Dec 10, 2008.

Ok, straight to the point here. This is my site: www.topfishinggames.com

I have almost 28,000 backlinks using all variations of my keywords, on PR0 to PR6 sites. I'm trying to rank for the keywords Fishing Games. I have all the proper on page SEO for these keywords, yet I can't even get in the top 100 on Google, however I do rank on the first page for "free fishing games".

Meanwhile, www.onlinefishinggames.net has a whopping 600 backlinks and not nearly the content of my site, yet it ranks #1 on Google for Fishing Games. I know it's an older site, but my site is about a year old and I can't figure out why I can't get my site in the SERPS for "fishing games" and why a site that looks like it hasn't been updated since 1997 is beating me. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why I'm not ranking for Fishing Games, let alone, beating the crap out of that site.

Any ideas?

christian231, Dec 10, 2008 IP
    pbruessow@msn.com likes this.
  2. jnelson563

jnelson563 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure, but I think it says something about your 28k links if you have a PR of 2...

jnelson563, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  3. McDonalds|Chicken|Selects

McDonalds|Chicken|Selects Peon

Best Answers:
    "Fishing Games | Free Fishing Games Online" I would try changing the title, notice how you have similar titles at the people above you, although I don't know your SEO strategy so I couldn't say for sure.

4. AndyBlack

AndyBlack Peon

Best Answers:
    How quick have you built these links? 28k links in a year?! Not the best way to do it. It can do you more harm than good. What has been your link building strategy? Where have you got these links? are any of these recipricol? Are most of these on links pages etc etc?

Andy

AndyBlack, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  5. christian231

christian231 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The 28K links have come gradually over the course of a year. I've mainly focused on getting links from related sites. Lots of arcade sites, some site wide links. I've also got links on fishing sites and forums. Like I said, I've been raking between #5-10 for "Free Fishing Games", but I can't rank for "Fishing Games". I've submitted articles, so I have in text links as well. Not many reciprocal links to mention.

6. vansterdam

vansterdam Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I just had a look at both of your backlinks. One thing I noticed is that their anchor text is much more varied. Your anchor text looks very artificial. A very high percentage of your links either say 'fishing games' or 'free fishing games'. This looks spammy to the search engines. If you got too many of those same anchor text links at once, you may have been penalized. Since you have rankings for 'free fishing games', but not 'fishing games', it does seem like you might be penalized.

vansterdam, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  7. christian231

Best Answers:

Hmm ok. Any good suggestions on how to get "un-penalized"?

8. ENERGYTHIS

ENERGYTHIS Peon

Best Answers:
    I would do what Mcdonalds suggested and change the title to your website to "Fishing Games | Play Fishing Game | Free Games Online" and wait for google to crawl again.

I wouldn't doubt that you would move up.

Goodluck!

ENERGYTHIS, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  9. thecubehost

thecubehost Active Member

Best Answers:
    It might take a while. Wait a month or two.

thecubehost, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  10. christian231

Best Answers:
    I'll give it a shot. Sometimes it's the little things you don't even think about that make the most difference. ;)

11. lycos

lycos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even the description part for your competitor has the "fishing game" keyword clearly spelled out at the start of the sentence. Sometimes, that also make a difference.

lycos, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  12. pbruessow@msn.com

pbruessow@msn.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know your competitor doesn't have much content but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. Add a couple of paragraphs under "Newest Fishing Games" concerning the featured ones. Do the same under "Online Fishing Games". New or added content can sometimes boost your SERP.

Also your Meta description: <meta name="description" content="Play the largest collection of fishing games at top free fishing games. New fishing games are added... is pretty spammy. How about: Fishing games for anglers on the net, or something similar.

I haven't checked your link profile but make sure it's diverse and mix up the keywords if possible.

Just some suggestions and best of luck! ;)

pbruessow@msn.com, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  13. christian231

Best Answers:
    Thanks...I'll mix up the meta description too and see if I notice any changes. By the way...You have any spots for a link to a cool fishing game site on any of your fishing sites? LOL

14. ilexx

ilexx Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I am glad somebody mentioned your title because your competitor's title starts with 'Fishing Games' while yours starts with 'Play Fishing Games'

You probably need to take into consideration the kind of backlinks that you are getting to your website.

Check 'online fishing games' and check their backlinks that come up in Google and you will find that they are getting backlinks from an online gaming site and they actually have 5+ backlinks from the homepage of that website..

You have to take these things into consideration.. get more relevant backlinks from websites related to yours.

ilexx, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  15. dicky18

dicky18 Peon

Best Answers:
    Your page is not optimized for "fishing games"
    Start your title and description with Fishing Games
    Your first heading and 3 ALT images should start with Fishing Games
    but also remember to be patient

dicky18, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  16. freight guy

freight guy Member

Best Answers:
    good point dicky18, alt images, title, and description need to add the keywords

freight guy, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  17. vishenda

vishenda Peon

Best Answers:
    double check your SEO juices, a large pool of backlinks doesn't translate to being a "better site" than your competitor..Im not saying you might have employed black hat tactics, just re assess your game plan :)

have a great day

vishenda, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  18. Paul Timmons

Paul Timmons Guest

Best Answers:
    To me, this sound like a filter. Even if I consider the pieces of advice mentioned up to now to be good, I don't think they will make such a big difference. The fact that you aren't even in top 100 is proof of that.
    You probably got filtered out for building such a massive backlink amount in such a short time. Also, as one of the members pointed out earlier, you are guilty of "over-optimization". In other words, you are trying to hard and Google knows that. 28k links all with almost the same anchor texts sends a red flag.
    As a final note, remember that the relevancy of the links matter more than the number. 50 targeted backlinks of your competition could be worth more than your 28k.

Paul Timmons, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  19. juliankund

juliankund Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with Paul Timmons. Usually quality is better then quantity. Also, when building links you have to be extra careful not to raise the attention of Google. I guess you were also penalized at some point...

juliankund, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  20. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    I disagree with most of the posts in this thread. I say you need more links that say "Fishing games" in them.

Lexiseek, Dec 11, 2008 IP