1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why can't Google directory ditch DMOZ???

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by peppy, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Buying a link in BOTW is fine, because thats what they do. They sell links for seo purposes.

DMOZ is a total different thing.....it's good to see that you understand any offers or payment, or incentives, will result in a permanent ban on all your sites.

I would have thought that some people around here would appreciate this :) No one likes people trying to get unfair advantage by attempting to offer bribes. If you feel that it makes dmoz a joke, then it says a lot about your character.

You should complain to Google, it has nothing to do with dmoz editors who gets into google directory, Google use the data how they see fit.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
    snooks, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm happy I am getting support from you in saying that more people need to complain about the ODP ;)

Qryztufre, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  3. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have my support, as does anyone, when they express a complaint that is valid. The majority of complaints are invalid and are what people (webmasters) expect, not about what we are and what we do. It also invariably is related to something against our guidelines.

If you believe Google shouldnt use dmoz data, then complain to them.....don't complain to dmoz, because that is merely shooting the messenger. :)

snooks, Aug 27, 2009 IP
  4. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    How the hell you would know what is valid and what is not while you're hiding behind wall of your Guidelines?

The problem with you guys, you're stopping being Joe Public as soon you login to your Pending Reviews Bin.

:rolleyes:

fastreplies

fastreplies, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  5. FifthDimension

FifthDimension Member

Best Answers:
    Me too, I dont understand why Google would view listings from dmoz favorably, probably they are placing it on the same pedestals as wikipedia, which is also a volunteer/contributor effort. But wikipedia is different than dmoz, you never know who the dmoz editors are, there is no time frame for when your site is going to get listed in dmoz, etc. But you can always edit wikipedia on your own and immediately (within 10 minutes) you can know if a moderator deleted your entry , etc. etc. I guess its a wrong idea to base results on dmoz, I think google is changing the concept with its availability of the 'More options...' link part of the search results, but I wonder where the 'wonder wheel' went - I have blogged about this concept (link is below my username in this post)

FifthDimension, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  6. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can see i'm trying to communicate in a friendly manner, but you want to shoot your mouth off and get aggresive.:(

I abide by the dmoz guidelines, i dont hide behind them......I have nothing to hide from :)

snooks, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  7. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In other words, a complain is valid if and only if you (editors) agree with it.
    Do you read what you write?

caprichoso, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  8. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    There is nothing offensive in what I said no to mention I'm free to express my opinions and if you don't like them,
    then you don't have to reply.

So, why don't you instead shut up your mouth for a change and stop using shit to paint fences and spread around
    your editorial Red Book propaganda if you want us to take you seriously.

People are getting sick and tired reading your talking points about how heroic you are in the name of your slave master
    because we're not your typical Joes who come in here to ask: when my site is going to be listed.

Can you dig that?

fastreplies

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    fastreplies, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  9. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People complain their MIRROR sites dont get listed. Well hello....the guidelines tell you we wont list them.

People complain their sites with no real content dont get listed.....Well hello.....the guidelines tell you we wont list that either.

People complain when they submit their immigration site which is based in the UK, to the sports category in Australia.........then complain that it wont be listed in a few weeks. Again....read the guidelines.

These complaints are NOT valid.

And yes, you are entitled to an opinion, its just a shame it isnt a sensible one :)

snooks, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  10. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Explain why http://www.lolblackjack.com/ can't get listed in DMOZ? It's a pure blackjack site, there are not that many of them around on the internet. Not only this, mine is actually one of the largest pure blackjack sites on the net with lots of content and it can't even get listed in a very specific niche category.

That's a load of bull. I don't have to list all the super high quality sites full of content that can't get in DMOZ.

peppy, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  11. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Simple......dmoz is not a listing service. Suggest the site, it may or may not get reviewed. If you want a guaranteed listing, go and buy one from BOTW, or many of other directories that guarantee inclusion.

If you are that determined to be listed, why not apply to edit that small cat, if your site is compliant you can list your site and get the whole cat up to date. Surely its better to do that rather than moan and groan?

Just be sure to declare that you are affilliated with the site when you make your application.

snooks, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  12. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree totally, there are heaps and heaps of great sites that should be included. Lets guess, let's say there are what, 100, 000? A fair guess?

So, if we had 100 editors that did 10 new sites per day, that would take only 100 days, but hang on, some submitted 3 times so we have to weed through every one, some submitted wrong cats so we have to move them, some submitted deeplinks so we need to change and find correct url.......meanwhile, more sites are submitted, more sites need updates.....and it goes on and on.

You guys just dont get it. EVERYONE wants and expects a listing but it aint going to happen. It is a volunteer directory, edited by volunteer editors, volunteering as much or as little time as they want but more importantly, volunteering to edit the type of cats and sites they want.

Perhaps no one is interested in editing gaming sites because its such a huge spam magnet. (I never will). I certainly wont edit in computers at all, its no fun, site suggestions are painful to deal with and i would rather work on sites that are simple. Never seen zoos submit spammy sites....you never see museum sites with mirrors and seo ploys. This field is so much more fun to edit. :)

Funny that Museum webmasters and Zoo webmasters dont come here and complain :) Thats because their sites are easy to list, fun to deal with, they have great content and information and they are designed to provide information to the end user.

99.9% of any sites mentioned in this forum are designed for one reason, to make the webmaster money.

snooks, Aug 28, 2009 IP
  13. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Let me guess.
    You're some kind of circus performer who entertains the crowd, maybe make them kind of laugh or something and in between acts go to DMOZ and edit dreadful submissions made by some trying to make honest living webmasters.

Now, guess what my little man.
    We webmasters the one who have had created content of the Internet without which your DMOZ would never come to life and you in between acts would volunteer your time to clean manure left by circus animals and your “do not evil” friend would write birthday greeting on a toilets walls

:mad:

fastreplies

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    fastreplies, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @fastreplies

Have it your way. You are so far up yourself it isnt funny and you arent worth talking to anymore. You just want to argue and we will achieve nothing.

snooks, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  15. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I've come to the same conclusion about all these master baiters, snooks. ;) I'm only going to answer serious questions, which are very few, from people who really need help, and ignore the rants as not worth commenting on.

crowbar, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  16. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    hahahaha a DMOZ editor saying he won't argue anymore!

caprichoso, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  17. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    @snooks / @crowbar

Well, well, well...
    Would you like to tell me where I was wrong and show me how?

When you are insulting my profession and expecting to get away without scratches, then I can promise you it ain’t going to happen and I will kick your sorry asses for every penny I’m earning with my blood, sweat and tears.
    You mean like: how long it takes, I submitted my site but, my site is not listed yet, why? etc.
    I don’t think you boys capable to discuss important issues such as how to bring your directory in 21 century, or provide helpful information to noobs how to create sites that will be acceptable by DMOZ.

Oh, something that you're capable to do is to show how small you are by giving Neg. Reps. because you can’t discuss real issues and deal with truth. Thank you, I will wear your Neg. with honor for the job well done

fastreplies

fastreplies, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  18. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    That I did. :)

Did this too, they told me NEVER to apply as an editor at DMOZ again. :)

That's the thing, the topic of this thread is not about getting my site listed but having Google just get rid of them. Google should be allowing the high quality sites get into their directory, not having that based on volunteer work either.

peppy, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why are they not valid? When a submitter actually bothers with the guidelines, then they head over to the category they want a listing on what do they find? Site after site NOT following the guidelines! Lead by example if you want people to follow the guidelines, get the ODP to do the same. This complaint IS valid!

Qryztufre, Aug 29, 2009 IP
  20. caprichoso

Best Answers:
    And we are supposed to believe those are the only complaints you get. You are insulting our intelligence. Let alone that, as Qryztufre already said, people complains because your rules are just for those sites you will never list.

Just like in every other post from you (editors); your arguments are pathetic.

caprichoso, Aug 29, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.