1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why can’t I get on the Google DMOZ Directory

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by webdesignmaster, Aug 28, 2011.

Hi all,I know a lot of people ask this question but I must say a really do mean it. I have been submitting my website again and again but I never manage it.I am not sure why because I believe my website is a good site, and company.I would appreciate some advice, may any suggestions for how to get on thereMy website is called: siteezy.com

webdesignmaster, Aug 28, 2011 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you'll find that Google no longer has a directory :)
    No you haven't: You've suggested it twice - in defiance of our submission guidelines which require that you suggest it just once to the one best category.

So, not a major spammer yet, but a spammer none the less.

You might have misunderstood our objectives and how we operate here. ODP is a volunteer organisation building a directory as a hobby. Editors edit where they wish, when they wish and as much as they wish within the constraints of their permissions. We have no schedules or systems to force people to do work that they don't volunteer to do. ODP is not primarily a free listing service for website owners and it does not attempt to process their listing suggestions within the time scales desired by them.

Some volunteer will process your listing suggestion in time but we can't predict who or when that might be. Elapsed times can range from a few days to a few years. There is no need to re-suggest your website and doing so could be counter-productive because a later suggestion overwrites any earlier one.

jimnoble, Aug 28, 2011 IP
  3. webdesignmaster

webdesignmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure why you think submitting a website to a directory is spamming. Perhaps your unnecessarily argumentative approach to posting on this forum could also be considered as spam

webdesignmaster, Aug 28, 2011 IP
  4. avinseoservices

avinseoservices Peon

Best Answers:
    Directory submission, to my mind, is not spamming. The fact, to be kept in mind while directory submission, is that whether the category to which the site is to be submitted, is being crawled by the Google or not.

avinseoservices, Aug 28, 2011 IP
  5. Blue

Blue Peon

Best Answers:
    Blue, Aug 28, 2011 IP
  6. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see your reading is as bad as your attitude :(

1. The guidelines tell you clearly to submit ONCE.....you either ignored them or you cant read. Which one is it? You even lied and said you had submitted it again and again, which isnt quite true:(

2. Jim Noble provided you with useful information, if you dont want such information why even come here and ask?

Good luck with getting the site listed....im sure that your attitude towards the Volunteers that may review your site, will help:)

snooks, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The guidelines are in no way shape or form to be be trusted!

The guidelines say to submit to the single best category or your site will be rejected or removed. Yet manyof the editors here claim it'll simply be moved. The guidelines are false in this case.

The guidelines say that's it's OK for an editor to list their own site, and Skrenta has listed his over 10,000 times by bots rather then humans.... yet editors seem to think I did something wrong.

Back to Screnta's sites... none of those 10 k sites are guideline compliant...

Should the list go on? As it most certainly does...

Qryztufre, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is probably a good indication of why you are an EX - Editor.

snooks, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    LOL, sorry, I quit, and didn't have to break any of the guidelines! Go on, check...

The other editors will agree with me, though they will insinuate that I listed my own site & left, which is in no way shape or form breaking the rules. They may also say I wasn't there long enough to break the rules, which again, is not breaking the rules.

So yeah, thanks for paying attention! It's good to know that you can take 5 points in a reply, then comment on the one that makes it a personal attack! Way to go for NOT talking about the ODP in a thread about the ODP.... then again, as you didn't try to counter the other points, I have no other choice but to assume that you agree with them, otherwise you'd have talked about the ODP within an ODP discussion... right?

Qryztufre, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  10. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The facts Q are that the OP was being given information but yet again, you came in crying and bleating about an issue with Skrenta, which is 10 years old and something that wont be changed. The owners of the directory had the right to do what they want.....THEY OWNED IT. But you know this and its been done over thousands of times before.

Your statements, as usual, involve word twisting and casting aspertions....none of which helped.

snooks, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Heh, well, you are almost 100% correct! you mentioned the guidelines. I simply pointed out that the guidelines are not necessarily followed in any way shape of form by the ones that wrote them. Which is something you are seemingly backing up, so thanks for that!

So now, what exactly is it I twisted?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
    Qryztufre, Sep 4, 2011 IP