1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Buyers Need to Learn the Value of a Copywriter

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Tudi, Jan 3, 2008.

1. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    At the same time, if their marketing skills are that poor, they shouldn't be freelancing in the first place. Marketing is essential no matter what you're doing to earn an income independently, whether that be through products, services, information (as in ad revenue on a content site or blog), or some combination.

jhmattern, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  2. CoolCopy

CoolCopy Peon

Best Answers:
    I am SO proud of you, Tudi! :D

CoolCopy, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  3. Origano

Origano Guest

Best Answers:
    From a marketing standpoint, my main issue is educating prospects and buyers.

I also provide copywriting services in the form of ads, salesletters and complete direct mail campaigns. These are more difficult projects to manage and never go for a per-word-price. Most of the time the project is done for a set fee plus royalties on the profits made.

Lots of people still confuse one kind of copywriter from another one. That should be another core issue a marketer should focus on.

-Dave

Origano, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  4. OSWebMaster

OSWebMaster Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi There -

1. Why $15/500 is not a good deal: A well researched, edited, fact checked, and "polished" piece of 500 words should take between 1-2 hours. That means you can do 4-8 per day. Let's say you average 5 at $15. That's $75 day. $1500 a month. $18,000 per year. Sub poverty level (in the US).

2. How $15/500 could be a good deal: You, as the creator, are given a bundle of rights (learn about them), including the right to resell your work. Do NOT sell "all rights" for that low of payment. Retain the right to resell your article to other publishers, and for yourself as part of an ebook, etc. There are paid marketplaces for articles online (see Constant-Content.com). If you can resell an article an average of three times, then you are making closer to $56k gross per year (don't forget taxes, and everything that must come out of that amount). More like $37K year, after you subtract taxes and expenses. Better.

LESSONS:
    1. Know what you must earn in order to be paid like a professional rate for an ANNUAL living.
    2. Know what your "bundle of rights" are and how to negotiate for them (remember, don't sell "all rights" for a low amount).
    3. Develop a strategy to repackage and resell your articles.
    Best of success -
    Scott

OSWebMaster, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  5. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Scott. For me, as a Romanian who has been a freelance writer for 4-5 years, $15/500 words is relatively ok if the subject is easily manageable (for example I just did a project on "Starcraft 2" that I enjoyed for that price but writing and researching them took little time because I had a lot of prior knowledge about the subject). One article went easily in 30-40 minutes, so my rate-per-hour was $25-30.

If I'm writing about, say, "Mortgage", a subject that I would require extensive research on, I would spend at least 2 hours in order to complete 1 article. So my price for 1 article would be around $40.

I know it's still low pay for you natives, but for me it's decent pocket change (my main income is not from writing btw).

Tudi, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  6. OSWebMaster

OSWebMaster Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi Tudi -

Hey... thanks for reminding us it is a world marketplace, and more "www" power to you. I understand what you are saying, but if you can retain the right to resell, or republish an article for more income, why not do that even if the initial income is good in Romania? In other words, sell your Starcraft 2 article for $15, but retain the right to repackage/resell it as part of a chapter in an ebook (or somewhere else).

If the buyer then says, "no. I want all rights." You would say? Oh... ok, then since I cannot resell it, or republish it myself an average of 3-5 times, the price goes up 5 times. Then negotiate backwards to 3 times. You can do this. It does work, because it makes sense to a buyer, and you hold the rights. You have to negotiate well. And you have to be willing to walk away. That's tough sometimes, but it is the only way you will maximize the value of your writing, no matter what part of the world you are in.

- Scott

OSWebMaster, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  7. Mystic_Rivers

Mystic_Rivers Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been freelancing for a few years myself and like a lot writers started out working for 1 cent per word. I am now up to 3 cents and in the odd occasion where there is a lot of research required I will charge 5 cents per word. I do not use only the Internet for sources either. I often go to the library for research material and have on occasion purchased books if it is a subject that I have a deep interest in. While the Internet is a great place for resources, it is getting hard to write original content on certain subjects. Take marketing for example, that subject is flooded with material and there are only so many ways to market and so many ways to write about them.

I have many repeat clients and will be raising my rates again in the near future. When 99% of your clients compliment your work its time for a raise. The 1% who complains, well you can't please everyone. Most issues with writing is the clients interpretation of a topic was different than mine which I really wouldn't consider an issue but more of a glitch. :D

If you have chosen to be a freelance writer and use the Internet as the main source of your income you have to deal with the customers who want you to write for a penny or less per word. It is up to you whether or not you will do it. There will always be writers who undercut one another in order to get the job and I am fine with that. If they think their time and writing is worth so little then so be it, they can have the job. I will continue to look for clients who will pay my 3-5 cents per word. In the lull periods I will continue to work on my other money making ventures. I am a Gemini so I always have multiple things on the go. :D

Mystic_Rivers, Jan 21, 2008 IP
  8. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    I would also emphasize on the fact that it's hard to write original TRUE content about some subjects, mainly because there are a lot of sites crammed with misinformation. Even wikipedia, which is often a life save for writers has issues with the legitimacy of their claims. I think an online + offline research combination is best if you can manage it and it doesn't waste too much of your time.

Tudi, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  9. Mystic_Rivers

Mystic_Rivers Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you about Wikipedia. I use it as a last resort if I am having trouble finding information I will use it more of a keyword guide in my search for more relevant information. I am a bookie so to me going to the library is usually the highlight of my day.:D If I go to the bookstore my week has just been made.:D

If you come across a website that has an article that includes outdated or wrong information why not email the website owner and let him/her know. A business can lose its credibility by having wrong information for its visitors to read, they will be thankful you took the time to let them know and you may have gotten yourself a new client from it. It's a win win situation.

Sometimes you can't just sit back and hope the client comes to you, you have to go out and find them. It is easier than it sounds. I have many repeat clients because I contacted them about errors I found on their website while browsing. They were thankful that I took the time to do it, I fixed what needed to be fixed, and they are now repeat customers.

Mystic_Rivers, Jan 22, 2008 IP