1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Are You All Against Vista

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rlineker, May 27, 2007.

?

XP or Vista

1. Windows Vista

379 vote(s)
    28.5%
  2. Windoews XP

950 vote(s)
    71.5%
  1. BryceW

BryceW Active Member

Best Answers:
    I work as a computer technician and I have seen and fixed many Vista computers. I have even used Vista on my main machine for a while.

Vista in itself is a pretty good OS (shock horror!). Hear me out though, most of Vistas issues including the ones here arent really Vistas fault.

- Slowness: Manufacturers are selling computers that are too underpowered for Vista. Ive seen a brand spanking new laptop with Vista that was sold with only 512 ram, much of that was taken up by the video card so it was really running with around 400mb or ram. Although Vista is resource heavy, its not Vistas fault that machines are being sold without the recommended requirements.

- Drivers and such: This was the deal breaker for me to revert back to XP. My printer wasnt supported yet and probably wont ever be (its like 5 years old, but is cheap to run and uber fast). Creating a driver for it is the responsibility of the device manufacturer, not Vistas.

- Crashes: Ive fixed many crashing Vista machines. Most of it is caused by crappy drivers, especially Video cards and soundcards. Once again, the stability of the drivers is the responsibility of the device manufacturer.

- Security and the UAC: One of the few things that is actually Vistas fault. Vista's security only helps newbie users from making dumb mistakes such as clicking on something they shouldnt. Its pretty useless for most advanced users and most viruses/adware/spyware will still get by. Just helps prevent dumb mistakes.

- Vista file copying/network issues: This one is Vistas fault was well. Something is not quite right in that part at the moment. Copying files is terribily slow but Im sure the next service pack will fix this up.

On a modern machine (im talking this years hardware) Vista is excellent. I just was forced to go back to XP because my other hardware like my printer was too old. Right now, I wouldnt recommend Vista to my computer repair clients, its a good OS but its just too new.

BryceW, Nov 7, 2007 IP
  2. hotcake88

hotcake88 Peon

Best Answers:
    Vista only looks nice. But I'm really sure there are many easy loopholes for virus and hackers.

hotcake88, Nov 7, 2007 IP
  3. Rubicon

Rubicon Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe with every new version of Windows, it may not be the particularly awesome, but I do believe that Vista is better than XP simply because it is faster and the new windows programs work better on it than XP.

I know many people have been having problems with it, but for me, it is working pretty nicely, and I am liking what I am getting.

Rubicon, Nov 7, 2007 IP
  4. Shazz

Shazz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Crashes and bugs mainly... Theyve all been said in this thread, can't add do it..

Shazz, Nov 7, 2007 IP
  5. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Great post man. Have you noticed a lot of viruses for Vista?

worldman, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  6. Ahqar

Ahqar Peon

Best Answers:
    I havn't had any virus or spywaren problems with vist but it can be slow especially with networking.

SP1 will fix a lot of speed issues and many businesses are waiting for SP1 before moving over to vista.

Ahqar, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  7. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep. As most people say and I agree. Don't bother up grading to a new OS until SP1 is out....unless (as in my case) you're getting it for "free"....

worldman, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  8. ruffnat

ruffnat Peon

Best Answers:
    never going to downgrade from XP to Vista

I guess I'll eventually get Vienna

ruffnat, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  9. indianseller

indianseller Banned

Best Answers:
    vista is good but we need high configuration pc

indianseller, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  10. igme

igme Banned

Best Answers:
    Think again changing your Software from vista is also changing your hardware I'm not against with vista its just that you need a high requirement for your hardware.

igme, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  11. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    btw xp didn't run to well on 512mb. You needed at least a gig for it to be able to multitask large programs.

worldman, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  12. The General

The General Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it did. It could run quite happily in 128mb as long as you weren't doing too highly intensive tasks.

The General, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  13. techpr

techpr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is extremely not true. You can run XP very well on 512MB and do good multitask. I have an old Toshiba Laptop from 2003, it's a Celeron 1.8Ghz with 512MB MAX, 512MB is the limit on this Laptop, I have been running XP from the start with Good Results.

XP crashed in January 2007 and I was on a situation that cannot re-install XP again because the CD-ROM drive failed, some weeks later I found that I could install Debian Etch using 3 floppys and network to download the packages. Right now this Laptop is live and well running stable Debian Etch 4.0 and performs like XP. I use the Laptop for normal Browsing, EMail, Skype, MSN, OpenOffice Docs, Excel etc and Linux experimenting.

Anyway...I know some low budget Cyber Cafes that runs XP with 128MB and 256MB of RAM and do very well. Also my wife old HP tower from 2002 have 256MB of RAM and runs XP super fine.

You cannot do that in Vista.

techpr, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  14. QB Marketing

QB Marketing Guest

Best Answers:
    I was just speaking with a local computer repair shop owner and asked his opinion: Most people don't have the hardware to handle vista and it crashes their system or they have to spend a bunch of money to buy a system to handle it. I haven't played with it much, but it doesn't seem to have anything that I can't live without...

QB Marketing, Nov 8, 2007 IP
  15. Martens

Martens Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok vista have nice design but slow at working,if i need nice design i will install vista design pack:cool:

Martens, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  16. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe I did not state my point properly. Try running CS2, IE7 and Microsoft office at the same time and see what you get....or any large app for that matter. If you're doing web browsing and im sure it will work but true productivity for XP starts at 1GB period. My XP home system is 1gb and i still get performance lag when i run multiple large apps at the same time.

worldman, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  17. techpr

techpr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are trying to find the fifth cat leg here, sorry. Please don't say that XP does not run or multitask well on 512MB RAM, it is not true period.

Discussing this is pointless.

techpr, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  18. worldman

worldman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What are the specs of your suggested 512 system?

worldman, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  19. BryceW

BryceW Active Member

Best Answers:
    Most (if not all) viruses that affect XP will also affect Vista. So yes, Ive seen plenty of viruses on Vista.

BryceW, Nov 9, 2007 IP
  20. Kestal

Kestal Peon

Best Answers:
    If it wasn't for vista not supporting ANY of the 3 different wireless connections I have, I would have probably switched. They have vista 'drivers', though they do not do anything or work properly *sigh*.

Kestal, Nov 9, 2007 IP