1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why are some of my url's getting appended with %E2%80%8E

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by eidna22, Apr 18, 2014.

You can view some examples of these here. I have no idea why this is happening they were all fine in testing. http://guidetonc.com/breweries.html is the link with the strange link appendage. Some of them work and some don't I have read about hidden characters but I'm not seeing any so I'm not sure what to do here.

eidna22, Apr 18, 2014 IP
  2. digdogger

digdogger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you copy and paste from MS word, it's the characters from the end of the line. Either you or someone linking to the site is doing this

digdogger, Apr 18, 2014 IP
  3. eidna22

eidna22 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm pasting directly from chrome. I think it has to do with some utf character or something.

eidna22, Apr 18, 2014 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    While I am unable to recreate the problem you describe here (Is it browser specific?) that site is an absolute train wreck of "how not to build a website". The endless pointless scripttardery, halfwit framework garbage known as bootstrap pissing all over it, gibberish use of numbered headings, little if anything remotely resembling semantic markup, comment placements that could trip rendering bugs, attributes like TARGET that have no business on any website written after 1997, values like "_new" that don't even exist for that long deprecated attribute, improperly/broken comment closings (it's --> not --!>) illegible fixed metric fonts, questionable color contrasts (or more specifically lack of contrast therein), sticky header sucking down too much screen space that would be better used for CONTENT (WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS?!?)... well... let's just say it's ENTIRELY what I've come to expect the moment I see a HTML 5 doctype.

Any of the 54 validation errors alone could be causing your problem. Really my advice would be to throw that mess of gibberish outdated non-semantic markup in the trash, forget the asshat code bloat non-semantic BS known as bootstrap even exists, and start over with minimalist semantic markup in an actual RECOMMENDATION doctype instead of the halfwit idiotic "lets' go back to 1997 style coding" garbage known as HTML 5.

Probably learning what numbered headings are and how to actually use them properly in the process.... or if you REALLY want to go the idiot HTML 5 route, learn how they are supposed to be used there. (which is an entirely different set of rules).

Bottom line -- an outright insane 2 megabyte pageload in 43 files, over 250k of that being scripting alone and a noodle-doodle garbage 55k of CSS? Throw it out and start over, there is little if anything worth even trying to salvage from that mess. Even the 21k of markup for a mere 3.5k of plaintext and 2 dozen content images is anywhere from two to three times as much code as necessary!

You REALLY might want to read that first link in my siggy and go through each of the subsections -- almost everything listed there applies to your 'site'.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    deathshadow, Apr 18, 2014 IP
  5. eidna22

eidna22 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice. I bought the template from Themeforest. I'm a novice at websites so I had no idea it had so many issues.

eidna22, Apr 21, 2014 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Ah, that would do it. Template whorehouses like Themeforest and TemplateMonster are filled with buggy, broken rubbish code -- generally speaking the entire notion of off the shelf templates is a giant scam run by people who to be frank, have no business "designing" anything so far as the Internet goes. Their woeful lack of understanding of HTML, CSS, Acessibility, or the limitations of the medium means that 99.9999999% of the crap on "template" sites has no business seeing the light of day on a deployed website. It's pretty much nube predation -- preying on the ignorance of those who just don't know any better.

The entire notion of trying to shoe-horn content into a template that was made before you have content is.... back-assward. It's the same reason that starting out dicking around with a PSD is putting the cart before the horse, and one of the fastest routes to failure if you actually have content of value to deliver; no matter how 'pretty' the result is at the magical combination of screen size and font metrics the "designer" was working at.

deathshadow, Apr 21, 2014 IP