1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why are low traffic & low page rank domains so high in search results?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Julie2222, Jul 17, 2013.

Hi,

Please can someone tell me.

When I type in some keywords to Google that I want to be found for in the search engine it will bring up a number of related sites. These sites however are low page rank and low traffic......am I missing something here?

I thought that the higher your page rank and traffic, the more likely-hood it would to be found based on the keywords - why would the lower sites be ranking so high? I have higher page rank and more traffic than these other sites. They even have less external links that me that I can see.

Is it possibly my on-site SEO that I have wrong or have I missed something else here.

Please help, thanks!

Julie2222, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps they (those sites) answer the search query better than all those chasing links for PR?

Revelations-Decoder, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  3. bdcobbs

bdcobbs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The lower ranking sites may have a frequency of keywords in the text itself. Usually the more times these niche specific words appear, the more likely the site is brought up during the searches.

bdcobbs, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  4. WebDev Solutions

WebDev Solutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since Penguin 2.0 this is likely to be a fairly common theme- newer sites with relatively small link profiles (when compared against established sites within the same niche) can now feasably outrank their competitors if the quality of the content and social signals are strong enough.

Backlinks are still important, don't misquote me, but they certainly don't make up the full picture anymore when it comes to SEO "Post-Penguin2.0".

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  5. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Julie
    There are various other factors that Google considers to determine the final SERP ranking. Page Rank is just one factor amongst all that. Probably those sites are new and have lesser backlinks & traffic but have good informative material that google considers as better for users and hence is listing them on higher search ranks. Matt Cuts has stressed repeatedly that there are over 200 factors Google uses to determine SERPs and we should never forget this.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    C.Rebecca, Jul 17, 2013 IP
  6. Julie2222

Julie2222 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That's great, thanks for all your help everyone. I will go back and go over my content.

Julie2222, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  7. drewtoby

drewtoby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks as well! I am having same issue. need more content to add again :(

drewtoby, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  8. iamalive

iamalive Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Rebecca,
    I was also facing the same problem and i hope now i get the answer of my question. You are doing a great job and i hope in future you will keep update us.

iamalive, Jul 18, 2013 IP