1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why a gap below block element?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by mark_s, Mar 25, 2009.

1. mark_s

mark_s Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I'm using SMF as a CMS.

I've tried the idea you suggested already and it did indeed cause layout issues as sometimes there wasn't a double break due to the element being the last thing in the article.

I've thought about preg_replace but this issue also happens in my forum and I don't want to start adding that stuff to SMF. This is why I'm hoping there might be some CSS solution out there for me.

mark_s, Mar 27, 2009 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, there are adjacent sibling selectors, but those don't work in IE6 worth ***. If you can live with it not working in IE6, you could go...

span + br + br { display:none; }

I think that might do the trick... Frankly, with IE6's numbers dwindling, giving them a still usable layout with an extra gap may be acceptable. (we're going to have to start telling them to **** off sooner or later, giving them a 'degraded but usable' page might be a nice gentle nudge)

Scary part is, while IE6 on windows doesn't support adjacent selectors, IE 5.2 Mac does.

deathshadow, Mar 27, 2009 IP
  3. mark_s

mark_s Peon

Best Answers:
    Fantastic, thanks :)

It's so annoying that so many people still use IE6.

mark_s, Mar 28, 2009 IP