1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why a DMOZ listing can kill your SERP/SEO results

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by joeventura, Aug 30, 2012.

DMOZ and Wikipedia are some of the most scraped sites and with Googles recent penalties for bad/poor quality links you may want to reconsider looking for a listing on DMOZ or Wikipedia.

Scrapers will grab content and leave your links in, even if they are do not follow links.

To read more about this check out this thread on Webmaster world

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/4483424.htm

So not only is DMOZ dead, it will kill you too!

joeventura, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  2. Ashokk

Ashokk Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you are right. One of my sites is listed in DMOZ and since July 16, 2012 (Penguin), it disappeared from SERP whereas it was always on the first page for last 3-4 years. I cannot find it even in first 10 pages.

Ashokk, Oct 3, 2012 IP
  3. abyssofseo

abyssofseo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't think this drop in rankings is connected to DMOZ. It happened because of the updates in Google policies and maybe it will get back soon. Matt Cutts would have warned webmasters if DMOZ was "harmful".

abyssofseo, Oct 7, 2012 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why?

He has already stated it is nothing more special then any other site, and as it does not get any other special treatment from Google why would or should Google give any special warnings... especially about an outdated directory.

Google already has said Duplicate content is bad. They have already said Directories are no longer authoritative sites....and DMOZ is the father of duplicate content, and a directory.

Google has removed their own DMOZ clone, and have removed their suggestion to add your site to the directory as well....so it's clear it's really no longer holding the authority it once did. They also stopped using the DMOZ site descriptions save for the rarest of cases where someone has no comment, yet somehow still made it into the ODP (and Matt did say that).

So with each update, they are likely loosing sway in the SEO community, and are certainly loosing sway in Google.

Qryztufre, Oct 7, 2012 IP