1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why a blog and not a website?

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by ranman1973, Aug 31, 2009.

Really... is there any difference between the two? (May seem like a stupid question, but this is coming from an old C++ and Java programmer who moved into project management and hasn't kept up on technology. )

ranman1973, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  2. Dantist

Dantist Guest

Best Answers:
    Blog is a variant of website. Forum is a website under variant forum.. etc.. even single page html is called a website (under variant brochure i think).

Dantist, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  3. papastiffy

papastiffy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, when I think of blog I think of a free, cheap to run (usually cheap looking) basic journalism type site. These sites are quick to put up and almost act as a blank slate for the owner to write to thier fans.

papastiffy, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  4. shobi

shobi Member

Best Answers:
    i agree with you

shobi, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  5. dmssrinivas

dmssrinivas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Website is evergreen with no big advantages and disadvantages by itself. But when compared to a blog, website gets a brand name advantage. Users tend to view a result from direct website more than a blog.

But a blog has a very good advantage over website, blog is very good for search engines as it has automated linking and page designing. Most of all automated pinging of posts.

dmssrinivas, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  6. ranman1973

ranman1973 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thx for the response. I guess blogs are updated more often (usually but not always) and therefore will rank well with search engines?

ranman1973, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  7. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Blogs are websites.

internetmarketingiq, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  8. dmssrinivas

dmssrinivas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Websites too wont be updated always. But if you ask me blogs are better.

dmssrinivas, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  9. mewatashiakumoi

mewatashiakumoi Peon

Best Answers:
    Blog is one of the type of a website.. The difference is Blog have unique structure and easier to manage..

Yeah, The answer is simple.. Blog is much simpler and easy to use by most of the people..
    And the website (Pure WS right?).. It need HTML/PHP (Or other language) knowledge to build and manage it.. It'll trouble most of newbie that want to build a site.

mewatashiakumoi, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  10. extraspecial

extraspecial Member

Best Answers:
    Blog is a daily website or a website that you can add new articles and update very easily like... and its becoming more popular everyday...

extraspecial, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  11. dc0ded

dc0ded Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All blogs are websites but all websites are not blogs..
    I hope that explains all.. :)

dc0ded, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  12. m-powa

m-powa Peon

Best Answers:
    blogs are free, usualy about personal experiences, not for monitising with as many adverts per pixel you can get. providing you are thinking about non-comercial. hosting, registration backup and maintenance can be outsourced to an IT company. Blogs are much cheaper, you can install plug-ins for added features with ease. Blogspot.com will bring your more visitors with less effort.

m-powa, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  13. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    These are pretty old common misconceptions about blogs today.
    With all the different configurations and designs, a CMS platform is not just for personal journals anymore.
    The best designs that I have seen run on Word Press and combine static website features, with a blogs functionality.
    You can of course set up a blog cheaply, but you can also use a multitude of custom designs, plug ins and configurations to make a CMS do what ever you want, and look any way that you want.

Many very well known companies and organizations are using CMS's as their main website these days. It's easier, cheaper, highly configurable, and integrates well into other syndication and social media platforms from one location rather than a system of subfolders and subdomains that older configurations have where the blog is on one folder, the website on another, and ecommerce on yet another..making your readers and clients have to access multiple domains to get all the information they need.

Today's CMS platforms are not your little sisters "My Little Pony" blog anymore.

hmansfield, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  14. parkercent

parkercent Peon

Best Answers:
    blogs are for broadcasting, from one mouth to thousands of ears. They are also for moving information from the front page to an archive. Websites are more static. Think of a blog as a moving picture.

parkercent, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  15. RadarPro

RadarPro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In some families there are favourites. In most cases it is the younger child to whom all gets much easier, than to big brothers. In the Internet to a family too there are favourites - blogs.

All gets to owners of blogs much easier and easier than to owners of sites. Why? Because search systems LOVE blogs. And how them not to love that?..
    After all the average blog gives a fresh content incomparably more often than an average site. And a content-it food for a spider.

Will often place new articles on a blog, the search spider on a visit will look is more often.
    The will come is more often, the more pages will get to an index.
    The more pages will remain in an index, the it is more chance, that one of these pages will be seen by the potential reader by search.

RadarPro, Sep 3, 2009 IP
  16. lookingforabloggie

lookingforabloggie Peon

Best Answers:
    blogs are easy cms systems remove the hassle from a site !!

lookingforabloggie, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  17. RifqiAF

RifqiAF Active Member

Best Answers:
    Blog is easy to manage, have a rss feed to build more backlink, easier to SEO, and google love blog!

RifqiAF, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  18. Lovely

Lovely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Blog is easy to maintain and cheap to setup on like website after you paid for domain name and hosting package, you need to find a good web designer to design and maintain the site from time to time. But blog you set it up and maintain it by yourself.

Lovely, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  19. youssef93

youssef93 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When my mind goes to think of a 'website', I imagine a company, corporation...etc. It really depends on your PURPOSE. A blog is after all a type of website. If you just need to 'post', then you want a blog. A blog also solves coding and designing problems greatly. With wordpress, it's also possible to extend it with a great amount of plugins which can literally turn it into a 'website'. Another difference is that, a website can have multiple scripts running around. For instance, you have a forum a blog...etc. You set up a 'website' linking to your forum, blog..etc. So now you have a 'website'. Again, let me stress that it depends on what you want to present and the outcome. One last example, if you're doing some kind of offline business, let's say a florist. A 'blog' won't really fit here. Yeah, you can use it as 'part' of the the website to publish news and stuff but you need a website, not a blog in this case.

I hope I was able to deliver something:p

youssef93, Sep 5, 2009 IP
  20. ranman1973

ranman1973 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thx for the info. Very informative.

ranman1973, Sep 5, 2009 IP