1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who's Still Buying Links?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Jason Green, Nov 13, 2007.

?

Are You Still Buying Links?

1. No - I never bought links and never will

49 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. No - The Google Penalization Scare Me!

19 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Yeah - It's Still Working Well For Me

66 vote(s)
    42.3%
  4. Yeah - But I have reduced my spending just in case.

22 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. zangief

zangief Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google can not properly manage hidden text after 10 years one of my opponents has hidden text for more than 6 months and ranks well.How could they manage this.

zangief, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  2. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whats the URL to the competitior?

astup1didiot, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  3. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Plus Google will have to manually check each report. They already said they were overwhelmed when people began reporting each and every time they clicked on their own Adsense ad.

I highly doubt they would be able to check each and every report, let alone prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that someone was indeed selling links.

Not only that, but what if the "cheating" claims are wrong? Is Google going to show their reasoning in some sort of report? What about all those webmasters that notice a sudden drop in SERP? They email Matt Cutts and team, wait for a response, all the while their traffic drops dramatically. Would they have the right to sue Google or the people that reported them? What if they didn't do anything wrong in the first place?

usasportstraining, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  4. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I don't buy or sell links because I don't need to. I believe in mother nature being the best policy. That said, I have to say that I agree with an earlier point from Foxlore. To me, the bigger picture is Google getting their hands around the throat of the entire webmaster community and saying buy AdWords if you want links. Whether I am right or not I don't care, I am tired of watching Google bully webmasters around...we are the ones that put them in such a powerful position. Now they are trying strong-arm us with their little link rat patrol :rolleyes:

Guezzz Googs find another way to rank sites that doesn't depend so much on links.

I agree that if site A links to site B in the same parent theme WTF is wrong with that? Whether it's paid, no follow or not...it's advertising.

Because Matt Cutts has called out to the webmasters "Please rat out paid links" tells me that this is hard to determine and detect by an algo. For Google to endorse the "rat" concept tells me where they are at. They need links to qualify site importance and ranking. That is something engineers need to look at to prevent threads like this one making assumptions. To me Google's combatting method reaks of a bully in the schoolyard.

H

Homer, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Nor have I, but I have seen people claim they are getting traffic from directories...

But I am not the one making the initial claim.. I am disputing an unfounded claim, not claiming otherwise...

I would say about 75% of this game is indeed pure luck...

Mia, Nov 13, 2007 IP
    ssandecki and usasportstraining like this.
  6. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    I'm in total agreement with this statement, we can agree to disagree, thats what great about a discussion\debate :)

Yes, luck is a major factor, but you need some knowledge to produce desired results, hopefully my next site that will take the keyword Jokes will be as successful as my funny pictures site, since the search volume is almost 4x more :)

I'm giving you +rep for sticking to your guns and keep this debate between use civil, unlike a few others in this thread. You did not attempt to discredit my knowledge, nor prove your "seo superiority" over me, which is an admired asset in my eyes.

7. markab10

markab10 Peon

Best Answers:
    Previously I lost all my search engine rankings and it took me two months to get them back. One of the websites receives 30,000 visitors a month. Since then I only use white hat strategies. Until something like this happens to you in your online business you will be convinced to only use white hat strategies.

markab10, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  8. usasportstraining

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Very good point. They wouldn't exist without the community, not the other way around. It's sad that they have become so powerful that they can dictate or influence so much.

9. AngelaE8654

AngelaE8654 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree.

AngelaE8654, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  10. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am so disguised I have lost 400$ of income this months because of Google and it seems I may lose more cus of the page rank are still lowing on my blogs. I will not give up and Google knows if we lose they lose aswell.

FOX LORE, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  11. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    Selling text links is a violation of Google Webmasters TOS and this has been stated over and over and over again. Your manipulating the pagerank system by doing this, I feel no remorse over what you've lost, monitize your site in a way that doesn't use a broken system to do so.

usasportstraining likes this.
  12. usasportstraining

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I assume you meant 'disgusted'. :)

I'd say try to find a different source of income, as the text link path is questionable. Not to say you couldn't still make some money with it, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree these days.

There's many other ways of making money on DP alone. I wish I had a graphics ability or could program well. Those can be a great way to make money. You could also get into the domain name business.

13. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:

I sold links in my Sig and on blogs post reviews and that seems to still be going on. Look around you. I don't sell text links but as far as manipulating the PageRank is people have the money to fork it over than I am all for it. Google needs to compromise its system especially for those who are not selling links, like me:confused:.

14. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:

I wish you can show me how to make money but I have been thinking about fliping domains. I was very lucking in selling one last month for 750$ .:)

15. astup1didiot

Best Answers:
    So, if 100 people jump off a bridge would you do it to? Pagerank was NEVER designed to be monitized, it was designed to show the popularity of a page.

16. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    I think your conclusion is correct. Most of the penalization talk I've heard doesn't seem to be based on solid evidence at all. And to those of you saying that Google will catch every site selling links, I don't see it happening.

Zibblu, Nov 13, 2007 IP
  17. usasportstraining

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yeah, I wish I had the link to this one blog on all the ways to make money on DP. It was very comprehensive. More ways than I had thought of myself. :)

Although it's very speculative, domain flipping can be a great way to make money. The folks over at namepros.com seem to be the most informed on it.

<back on topic>

Yeah, I agree with whatever was said above.

18. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    This is really a misleading statement. Inbound links are still easily the most important aspect of ranking in the SERPS.

The Google Bomb fix had to do with discounting the link reputation weight of inbound links with anchor text that is unrelated to the text on the page. For example "Google Bombing" George Bush's homepage with the word "MORON" won't work because the word MORON is nowhere on the page.

On the other hand "Google Bombing" (ie getting inbound links with a certain anchor text) still works for ranking in the SERPS (and is in fact the biggest element of ranking in the SERPS) if the anchor text is related to the words on the page (and far more importantly the words in the title of the page.)

Zibblu, Nov 13, 2007 IP
    usasportstraining and Vic_mackey like this.
  19. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:

May so but everthing does not stay the same- time changes everything and google will have to adjust to the changes aswell.:rolleyes:

20. AngelaE8654

AngelaE8654 Active Member

Best Answers:
    According to the poll at the top of the page, it's a pretty even split between those who pay for links and those who don't.

AngelaE8654, Nov 13, 2007 IP