1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

whonu.com - The Discovery Engine

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by derekfranklin, Sep 6, 2005.

Hey Gang,

I'm really charged about finding this forum - I love search, something we all have in common! :)

Since we all love search, you might be interested in a project I've been working on for the past month, it's called whonu.com (www.whonu.com), and I think of it, not as a search engine, but an intelligent interface for all the great search engines out there - really, who's going to do better than Google, Yahoo, etc.

Anyway, if you're interested in finding how to's, ebooks, audio, video, images, and more - all related to a single keyword, please check it out and let me know what you think.

I look forward to your questions and comments.

All the best,

Derek
    www.whonu.com
    www.searchautomator.com
    www.derekfranklin.com

derekfranklin, Sep 6, 2005 IP
    exam likes this.
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    interesting concept. I like the graphic pull down menus, etc.. Seems to flow very nice.

Mia, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  3. soapbath

soapbath Peon

Best Answers:
    Just seemed to confusing to me ;P. But then again I do like the look

soapbath, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  4. sparkimarki

sparkimarki Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks good and professionally done - perhaps ease back just a touch on some of the icons - there are too many at one time. Good luck with your site Derek.

sparkimarki, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  5. derekfranklin

derekfranklin Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback so far!

While I'm here, I'd like to highlight some features on whonu.com.

First, there are the Querybox Commands: Here's how they work.

To find images of BMWs - enter 'images. bmw' (without quoates) into the main search box

To find facts about hurricanes - enter 'facts. hurricanes' into the main search box

To find Simpsons videos - enter 'videos. simpsons' into the main search box.

There are literally hundreds of these commands - everything from musicvideos. to recipes. and more.

For a complete reference, click the Querybox Command reference button (just below the main search button)

whonu makes extensive use of something I call 'discovery keywords' - here's how they work.

Let's say you're like to sail. Most people, when they go looking for info about this subject, simple go to Google, type in 'sailing' and hope for the best. whonu.com provides menus that allow you easily add these discovery keywords to you main keyword, to help you narrow down your results. For example:

a query for sailing turns into: a query for sailing tips, sailing information, sailing checklists, sailing tutorials, sailing FAQs, sailing videos, etc.

whonu lets you quickly try any of these searches on Google, Yahoo, MSN, Ask, A9, and many others.

There are a ton more unique features, many of which you can quickly discover by exploring on your own.

Have fun!

derekfranklin, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  6. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    very interesting concept.. i am going to research more on this.
    can you fix some tutorials which are not working ?

thanks

SaN-DeeP, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  7. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    Wow - that's slick. There's so much there that it is a bit overwhelming. Very impressed with the programming that went into it :cool:

Just FYI - When you do the google search, I think you might be violating the TOS in that you aren't using the unmodified search form they give you.

Nitin M, Sep 7, 2005 IP