1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who will win the most Olympic Medals?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BiReL41r, Feb 11, 2006.

I'm gonna have to say Canada, Norway, Germany or USA.

BiReL41r, Feb 11, 2006 IP
  2. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'd like to see Michelle Kwan capture the gold.

tesla, Feb 11, 2006 IP
  3. bluemouse2

bluemouse2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Norway probably...

bluemouse2, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  4. bernard82

bernard82 Peon

Best Answers:
    I say... Germany!

btw, it seems Michelle Kwan will not compete becasue of an injury.

bernard82, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  5. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not.

MELLA, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  6. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I figured it'd be jamaica :p

lorien1973, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  7. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nigeria! No one would ever see it coming.

Seriously, I'd go with the US. They're really getting aggressive with their amateur athletes lately.

Canada...no way in Hell. Amateur athletics here, like a lot of things, is a sick joke.

AWD1, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  8. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Oh, mon, the people can't believe - Jamaica, we have a bobsled team!

aaron_nimocks, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  9. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Crazy_Rob, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  10. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are UK even in it? I never watch the winter olympics.

Blitz, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  11. MELLA

MELLA Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know. :eek: I don't watch it either, but I felt like being patriotic for once.

Congrats on ur draw today. :p

MELLA, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  12. lorien1973

Best Answers:
  13. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Maybe because I'm logged into my Google account.

[​IMG]

14. lorien1973

Best Answers:
    That's awesome. I'm logged in too, but that didn't come up for me :(

15. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    I guess Google's AI realizes that I deserve better results than you do. :cool:

16. tom_ryeback

tom_ryeback Peon

Best Answers:
    Kwan pulls out of Olympics, France's Deneriaz wins men's downhill
    By MIKE CORDER

TURIN, Italy (AP) - Antoine Deneriaz won the marquee event of the Winter Olympics on Sunday with a surprising late run to upstage the Austrians and Americans in the men's downhill.

Unsurprisingly, Michelle Kwan withdrew from the games, ending her decade-long quest for gold.

Armin Zoeggeler gave host nation Italy its first golden moment with victory in the luge, while Apolo Anton Ohno compounded American misery by failing to defend his 1,500-metre short track speedskating title.

Kwan, the five-time figure skating world champion, pulled out because of a groin injury.

"I would love to compete in my third Olympics, but I love and respect the sport, and I think it's all about the United States bringing their best team," Kwan said. "I wouldn't want to be in the way of that."

Deneriaz - ranked 16th coming into the Olympics - snatched the men's downhill gold with a blistering run down the Kandahar Banchetta course under blue skies in the Italian Alps.

The 29-year-old Frenchman's time of one minute 48.80 seconds beat silver medal winner Michael Walchoffer of Austria, the reigning World Cup downhill champion, by nearly three-quarters of a second.

"I've been thinking of nothing else for the past year," Deneriaz, who was the last starter of the top 30 skiers, told French television. "It's incredible. I'm Olympic champion."

Bruno Kernen of Switzerland was third.

American gold medal prospects Bode Miller and Daron Rahlves ended fifth and 10th respectively.

"I felt I lost my grip in the last three turns," Miller said.

Austria's Hermann Maier, also was well off the pace. The Herminator finished in sixth, 1.2 seconds slower than Deneriaz.

In short track, Ohno finished fourth in his semifinal, meaning he failed to make the final. South Korea's Ahn Hyun-soo cruised to gold, followed by fellow countryman Lee Ho-suk. China's Li JiaJun claimed the bronze.

Another American had more luck in the mountains.

Wearing a stars-stripes bandanna across his chest and with his trademark mop of red hair spilling out of his helmet, Shaun White soared and spun out of the men's halfpipe for a winning score of 46.8 on his first run of finals.

"I'm a little overwhelmed right now. I can't explain it," said The Flying Tomato after a tearful celebration with his parents.

Teammate Danny Kass was second but the Americans fell a podium place short of repeating their halfpipe medal sweep of 2002. Markuu Koski of Finland won bronze.

Zoeggeler sent Italy into raptures by defending his Olympic luge title at the 1,435 metre Cesana track.

Russia's Albert Demtschenko finished 0.11 seconds behind Zoeggeler for the silver, and Latvia's Martins Rubenis was another 0.247 back for the bronze - edging Tony Benshoof of the U.S. by 0.153 seconds.

In women's speedskating, Ireen Wust led a stunning Dutch 1-2 in the 3,000 metres as the heir to the Netherlands' throne Crown Prince Willem-Alexander - a keen speedskater - watched from the stands at Lingotto oval.

Wust, 19, recorded a time of four minutes 2.43 seconds at the Lingotto oval track and then anxiously watched her rivals - including favoured German and Canadian skaters - as they failed to run down her time.

"When the last pair skated I had to wait and then when I saw that they were ... above my time, it was so beautiful," Wust said.

Teammate Renate Groenewald, who won silver in Salt Lake City four years ago, was second in 4:03.48. One of the pre-race favourites, Cindy Klassen of Winnipeg, was third.

At the normal hill ski jumping, Lars Bystoel of Norway won gold with jumps of 101.5 and 103.5 metres for a total of 266.5 points. His teammate Roar Ljoekelsoey took bronze. Matti Hautamaeki of Finland won silver.

Cross-country skier Eugeni Dementiev of Russia surged from behind to overtake several opponents in the final 100 metres to win the 30-kilometre men's pursuit in 1:17:00.8.

Frode Estil of Norway recovered from a fall at the mass start to take silver and Pietro Piller Cottrer earned Italy its second bronze of the games.

Kristina Smigun of Estonia won gold in the women's 15-kilometre pursuit after World Cup leader and favourite Marit Bjorgen of Norway dropped out before the midway point of the race with a stomach problem.

Smigun overtook silver medallist Katerina Neumannova of the Czech Republic late in the race to win in 42:48.7. Emily Hughes, the third-place finisher at last month's U.S. national championships, will replace Kwan, who needed a medical bye onto the Turin team for a last tilt at gold.

The 25-year-old Kwan won five world championships and nine U.S. titles but always came up short at the Olympics, winning a silver medal in 1998 and a bronze in 2002.

"I have no regrets. I tried my hardest," Kwan said. "And if I don't win the gold, it's OK. I've had a great career."

tom_ryeback, Feb 12, 2006 IP
  17. harshad83

harshad83 Peon

Best Answers:
    italy...or norway..

harshad83, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  18. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why thank you.
    At least I can tell my kids that there was once a time when Spurs remained ahead of Arsenal for most of the premiership :)

Blitz, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  19. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    Russia will!

mightyb, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  20. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    China could be there as well.

I am not chineese BTW.

SumitBahl, Feb 13, 2006 IP