1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who wants to learn PHP/MySQL with me?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Dekker, Jan 2, 2006.

If anyone's interested....I think this would be a good way to help each other and not get bored :p

I bought an eBook which we can share.

Dekker, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  2. caroline

caroline Peon

Best Answers:
    I am too busy with school nowadays to guarantee that I will be able to keep up with you, but since learning PHP/MySQL properly is pretty high in my New Year's Resolutions list, I would love to take a look at the e-book you mentioned. :)

caroline, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  3. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    do you have MSN? i'm reading it right now...it's pretty simple, but the author seems to have dumbed it down a bit

it's PHP/MYsql for dummies ver.2 which may be why :p but i just want the basics :)

got msn?

Dekker, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  4. ramakrishna p

ramakrishna p Notable Member

Best Answers:
    SVZ, Iam intrested in learning PHP....please teach me php.

ramakrishna p, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  5. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    i said learn with :p i'm not going to teach anyone anything as i dont know php/mysql :p

Dekker, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  6. jrd1mra

jrd1mra Peon

Best Answers:
    Great idea, I did this and I learned the basics pretty quick, and it was fun AND most importantly, it has proven very useful in my work.
    Keep it up, I used this book however:
    SAMS Teach yourself PHP, My SQL and Apache all in one
    I reccomend this book, it comes with an apache disk and cdroms to help you through. I bought it at barnes and noble for around $35
    although... you should have some html experience, and be very ready to study. It took me a few months to get through all of the lessons.

jrd1mra, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  7. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah that book was one i was going to get as well, but it didn't have it as an ebook :(

i dunno about you, but i'm in canada so if 35 bucks is in USD, you better believe it'll push 55-65 bucks here in the north :(

Dekker, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  8. jrd1mra

jrd1mra Peon

Best Answers:
    they get you on the exchange. I still think its worth the money. However I have never tried PHP/MYsql for dummies ver.2 so I can't make a comparison. I did use dreamweaver for dummies and found it to be very useful as well. I think it is awesome that people are learning this stuff on their own. Rather than [aying a school tons of money to teach you the same thing. Also, the webmasters guild offers low price e-classes on anything you can think of re;ating to the internet. Photoshop, php, asp, e-commerce, SEO, Marketing PPC.... you get the point. The classes are only 100-250 US Dollars for a six week course.

jrd1mra, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  9. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    oooh the webmaster guild sounds interesting. do you have a link?

what i plan to do is read this php/mysql for dummies for a start, do some basic things, and then attempt to go over the actual PHP manual for anything complex.

i've done a bit of C++ before so I have a grasp of how strings, loops, variables, functions work, but not a strong one.

i think i'll pick up the SAMS book, I had an ASP one a few years back, but I never used it because a) I really didn't have a use for it and b) I was 15 :p

Dekker, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  10. tpn87

tpn87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi SVZ,

Take a look at PHP books by Larry Ullman. I have gone through two of his books so far and they are excellent. Look him up on Amazon and you'll see glowing reviews of the books.

Regards
    Tyler

tpn87, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  11. JoeO

JoeO Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure that there is an ebook for SAMS PHP/MySQL/Apache. I used it a lot when I was learning PHP, it go lost in a harddrive crash so I can't confirm for you. But I'm almost positive thats the one I used.

JoeO, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  12. jrd1mra

jrd1mra Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.hwg.org/
    that is ahere the classes are.

jrd1mra, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  13. smallbusinessboost

smallbusinessboost Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, I would love to, it's funny I just bought this book "PHP AND MYSQL for dynamic web sites" b larry ullman. I've already made a member site. Nothing is on the site but people can register and login etc... May seem very simple for those who know php but I was very excited when I made it.

smallbusinessboost, Jan 2, 2006 IP
  14. tccoder

tccoder Peon

Best Answers:
    try learning php with trial and error method.. i.e by trying to code and learning from mistakes.. thats hwo i did it and i found that the best way for me

tccoder, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  15. avi8r

avi8r Peon

Best Answers:
    I have an e-copy of that book. I'm also a PHP/MySQL newbie, and looking for people to commiserate with. Count me in. Let me know and I'll email you a copy.

avi8r, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  16. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Learning PHP (and adding mySQL) can be fun, tough and quite frankly - very frustrating.

I taught myself the basics while writing a program for the company I work for - it took my 6 months to complete and it's generating them a LOT of money. I can say however I wouldn't have learned all the things I did without some help on the internet.

If you guys get stuck feel free to PM me and I'll help! mySQL is pretty easy to do the basics on... I would also STRONGLY RECOMMEND phpbuilder.com's forums!

yo-yo, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  17. wild boar

wild boar Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been wanting to learn php for a few years now... but dang, I'm still learning web development and seo, and I've been doing this stuff for 9-10 years now. I think I'll stick with what I know and learn it better, and what I don't know, I'll keep paying people to do it for me..

wild boar, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  18. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can tell you all - learning PHP/MYSQL was the smartest thing I've done. It's allowed me to triple what I made before it and soon work from home full time :)

yo-yo, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  19. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    yup :) it's like cooking your own meals as opposed to paying a chef..if that makes sense :p

Dekker, Jan 3, 2006 IP
  20. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    Offtopic - but SVZ Gossip Rocks seems to be down.

Hon Daddy Dad, Jan 3, 2006 IP