1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who Redistributes DMOZ data (other than Alexa)?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by markwelch, Oct 18, 2012.

Yes, I know that thousands of sites subscribe and display the stale data from DMOZ/ODP. What I'm looking for are sites which re-distribute that data to other sites.

Alexa is a perfect example: its content is displayed on many other web sites which use its API (or some other subscription method). I know that Alexa picks up the DMOZ tagline and displays it, unless the site owner "claims" their site and edits the description (which I've done for our company). I'm already seeing the new description replace the old one on other web sites that draw their data from Alexa.

My question: Can anyone identify other sites which take data from DMOZ/ODP and re-distribute it to other sites via API, widget, or any other subscription method? Of course I'd like to start with any sites that have significant influence (as Alexa unfortunately still does), but right now I'm just trying to get our company's description changed on as many sites as possible. (Yes, we're adding the "NOODP" meta tag for search engines.)

We are working to try to get the inaccurate description removed from DMOZ/ODP (preferably by deleting our listing entirely from that category in the directory) but apparently I'm just the most recent in a series of folks who've tried without success to get any kind of response from DMOZ/ODP, so I'm not optmistic.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

markwelch, Oct 18, 2012 IP
  2. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could always use the update feature which is on the page. But you should note that the description will always be a plain, non-keyword spammy description whereas most webmasters try and hype and keyword stuff.

Most people want a response for reasons that dont need a response:( The old adage "Submit & Forget" applies......one day your site will hopefully be included if it is compliant, but that may be quite a while, days to years.

snooks, Oct 19, 2012 IP
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Start here

http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Inter.../Open_Directory_Project/Sites_Using_ODP_Data/

and no DMOZ does not remove sites at anyone's request. DMOZ lists material in the public domain and simply categorises and describes that publicly available material.

Anonymously, Oct 19, 2012 IP
  4. MGwebmaster

MGwebmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's true - it's impossible to delete website from DMOZ even if you're the owner of this website.
    I recommend you to try to contact with editors of your category on DMOZ. It's hardly possible to cooperate with DMOZ directly - you won't get any answer. Talk on DP forum - DMOZ editors often visit it. Perhaps you will be lucky and they will help you to contact with editor of your category. It's the only way unfortunately.

The most famous sites using content DMOZ are listed here:
    http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Inter.../Open_Directory_Project/Sites_Using_ODP_Data/

You can also try to find such website through Google using old description of your website on DMOZ. You will have to contact with their admins and explain the situation but there is no other way.
    In any case you need to delete your DMOZ listing first.

MGwebmaster, Feb 28, 2013 IP
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We don't delist functional listable websites no matter who asks us to. If they contain useful unique information and don't contravene our Site Selection Criteria, they stay listed.

Asking us to delist your website presupposes that we're providing you with a service that you no longer want. We aren't.

jimnoble, Feb 28, 2013 IP