1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who live off their websites?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by cartoonbabyboy, Jul 5, 2013.

For all those people living off their websites with adsense, affiliates, etc, I was just wondering how many websites do you guys operate?

I'm aiming to live off the net as well however it seems this will only be possible if I have like 20+ websites...

cartoonbabyboy, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  2. quiz

quiz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Depents on what website you own. I don't think you need to own 20+ websites to make a living out of it. If you prefer micro niches then you need to have more then when you have a major project your aiming for.

quiz, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  3. Howard Lim

Howard Lim Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeh i agree. Just concentrate on 1 website. Give great content and keep driving traffic to that 1 website and that 1 website will bring you tons of money after some time. Instead of splitting your attention amongst 20 websites, Focus you attention on 1, that way chances of success is much much higher.

For me, i have only 1 website that i have been building for the past 3 years. Trust me i have earned enough money to live comfortably for the next 5 years if i shutdown the website now. Focus on one thing at a time, and aim to be the best in it, then money will flow like water.

Howard Lim, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    One large, well visited site can consume all of your time and energy. But I guess it boils down to this: if you want sites without membership sections and you're only thinking about monetizing them with 3d party ads, then you can easily joggle 5-10 websites. Otherwise one or two sites is pleeeeenty.

qwikad.com, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  5. Satazabuki

Satazabuki Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Just keep working, don't stop, even if it's hard. Spend more time on your sites, or give your time to
    just one of them. Make good content, earn traffic, then you will also earn some money.

Satazabuki, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  6. 24x7h

24x7h Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Why would you need 20 websites to earn money? Start with 1 and generate revenue for it.
    You can better have 1 good running site than 20 bad running sites.

Be unique (I know it's hard these days), but make sure to make a difference in some way. Treat your business and customers like you want to be treated yourself, if you do it long enough, it will pay off :)

The worst mistake you can do is starting a business with the mindset on 'earning money'. You should do it cause you like doing it, not for the money. It's a common mistake many make.

24x7h, Jul 6, 2013 IP
  7. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't live off it just yet, but if you wanna go that route you have to be serious and treat it like a real business, I know hat much.

ninjamtlt1, Jul 6, 2013 IP
  8. GregWR

GregWR Member

Best Answers:
    I have 4 sites and that should be enough to live off of soon, about 1/4 of the way to my target daily income.

GregWR, Jul 6, 2013 IP
  9. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You should prove to yourself that you can develop one successful website before building a portfolio of sites. Because what tends to happen is that you spread yourself too thin and don't even manage to get one site off the ground so that it becomes profitable.

dcristo, Jul 6, 2013 IP
  10. bartainer

bartainer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I live off the web site and youtube partnership.

bartainer, Jul 6, 2013 IP
  11. onegoodman25

onegoodman25 Active Member

Best Answers:
    couple of years ago, I used to own a freelancer website, and used to make my living out of it.

I got a good offer to sell it, and moved on.

I am currently doing a decent amount of another business i started after that but no I am not living off my site ( but it is good to have some extra income ;) )

onegoodman25, Jul 6, 2013 IP
  12. hifimad

hifimad Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's an interesting question and one I have heard a few times before. I guess the debate is between:

putting all your eggs in one basket
    vs
    spreading yourself too thin

It sounds like you want people to come up with the ideal answer for you. Can't blame you for that - it's a good way of figuring out what you have to do in order to get to your goal. Unfortunatly like most things in life it is a bit more complex than that.

If I were you the 1st thing to consider is whether you want to produce money earning sites with little value in themselves, except to produce cash - or if you want an authority site for your niche.

I think most people would point you in the direction of an authority site. They take more work but if done properly are far more lucrative and long lasting. In fact they can easily be all consuming so running more than a couple of them would prove too difficult without help. Having a couple also means you don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Personally I have a couple of authority sites I'm developing and couple of sites that I leave on autopilot earning cash via adsense and affiliates. This broadens my portfolio while still keeping it manageable.

Now I just need to earn enough to give up my day job!

hifimad, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  13. Paskoll

Paskoll Member

Best Answers:
    I can't live off my websites but it makes me a little extra on the side. I am now developing my second site which I am hoping will be the big one for me. I'm not a fan of having too many sites as I will just forget to do something on one and it will fall apart and then another etc etc. With just one or 2 major ones you can put your full concentration on them.

Paskoll, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  14. mahnazkut

mahnazkut Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was earning most of my money from one website only, and this works like pareto principle 80percent income comes from 20 percent of work. I was spending more time on other small sites but they never made good income, on the other hand I start loosing my best site.
    Yes I made living only from my websites for years.
    I believe less websites to focus on is the way to the better results .

mahnazkut, Jul 8, 2013 IP
  15. JohnApuna

JohnApuna Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the problem with people now-a-days is they want results, and they want them NOW. Think about it....fast food, credit cards, Netflix...these all provide services instantly. We think the same for online businesses. We think that if we put up a blog and write a few posts, it will be the next huffingtonpost.

I would suggest starting with 1 website and be consistent and patient with it until you grow it to where it starts making good money. Rinse and repeat

JohnApuna, Jul 9, 2013 IP
  16. MobileInternet

MobileInternet Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use to run 15+ sites, they all made money but they took up about 14 hours per day of my time. Now i've sold almost all of them apart from the 2 best earning sites. Now i only spend around 2 hours online per day, but i still make a full time income.

MobileInternet, Jul 10, 2013 IP
  17. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's better to have one good website that makes you a lot of money than it is to have 100 websites that make you next to nothing. Just something to keep in mind.

gregdavidson, Jul 11, 2013 IP
  18. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The approach those companies take is much different. They raise millions in venture capital which means that they can afford to spend millions on advertising to build their brand. Once they build their brand then can rely entirely on word-of-mouth and publicity. Any advertising is simply intended to remind people of their brand.

gregdavidson, Jul 11, 2013 IP
  19. daproofer

daproofer Member

Best Answers:
    It's not about how many websites you need, it's the quality. The question you should ask is "Do I want to be in this business. You either don't succeed at all or you earn massively. Deside exactly what is your goal of passive cashflow. What I personally do is after I decide the amount I multiply it by 5 so that I think big, it's a great trick and it works for me. I would you suggest you, like JohnApuna did, start with 1. Everybody here that is successful in this business will tell you that once you start earning it is ADDICTIVE :)

daproofer, Jul 11, 2013 IP