1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who is using Pinegrow?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by sarahk, Mar 18, 2014.

I saw this html editor mentioned in another thread and downloaded it. Primarily it's designed to make working with bootstrap sites easier and since I'm wrangling one at the moment it seemed an opportune time to check it out.

The trial lasts a miserable 3 days before they want $50 but I imagine for some that license fee is well worth the price.

I really like the fact that all the code is structured so you can't have misplaced divs etc. I haven't worked out how it would work in an MVC environment when you are trying to loop through data but as a pure design tool it's impressive - although the best tools still won't compensate for lack of aesthetic ability!

Probably the main gripe I have so far is that ctrl+s doesn't save and it has crashed a couple of times which means lost work. Hopefully there is a key stroke for it somewhere that I just haven't found.

Has anyone else given it a go?
    What else is out there that is similar?

sarahk, Mar 18, 2014 IP
  2. mattront

mattront Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Sarah,
    Matjaz here, co-founder and main developer of Pinegrow.
    Thanks for trying it out and mentioning it here.
    We'll be adding keyboard shortcuts for most frequent operations shortly.
    Are you using Mac or Win version? Did you notice any patterns when the app crashed? If you can, please report such problems to me so that we can troubleshot and correct the issue.
    3 day trial is short but that should be enough to try Pinegrow out and check if it is useful for you. If you need more time to test it, just let me know.
    Pinegrow can save you a lot of copy-pasting and documentation lookup time if you work with Bootstrap or Foundation. And the license fee is one time payment, not a subscription.
    Please let me know if I can help with anything else.
    Matjaz

mattront, Mar 18, 2014 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi Matjaz - thanks for joining up to respond! I'll check out the patterns of when it crashes - it seems to be when I try to undo (but not every time) and then it wipes the entire file and my PC (win7) starts throwing "out of memory" messages onto my screen, going black and I can hear the hard drive churning. All a little disconcerting :)

I am most impressed though although I haven't played with wysiwyg tools since the days of Adobe GoLive (that will age me) as I'm not a designer.

sarahk, Mar 19, 2014 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So it's DESIGNED for making bloated slow, inaccessible train wrecks of ineptitude? Not exactly a ringing endorsement...

Great Ghu why? Trying to take someone else's pile of **** and make it functional or something? Do yourself a favor, throw it out and start over without the stupid malfing bloated idiotic PRESENTATIONAL nonsense known as bootstrap; it will take LESS TIME.

... as to pinegrow -- their website and the screencap of the program running are enough to make me want to introduce someone's face to my hand, it's mass, and it's acceleration. Looks like a wysiwyg at best, trying to encourage halfwit garbage like LESS, Bootstrap, grid960, etc, etc, at worst.

... of course a "view source" of their site ALONE should tell you all you need to know about it. ENTIRELY what I come to expect from people who use/encourage the use of bootstrap... or HTML 5 for that matter -- and no, that's not a good thing.

"GUI" call it what it is, a WYSIWYG, oh wait if you did that real web developers wouldn't touch it with a 50 foot cattle prod.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    deathshadow, Mar 19, 2014 IP
  5. mattront

mattront Peon

Best Answers:
    Sarah, I just uploaded a new version of Pinegrow that should be more stable. If something like this happens again, please send me ZIP of files that were open when the app crashed.

Thanks, let me know how it goes.

mattront, Mar 20, 2014 IP
  6. xboxsold

xboxsold Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I love pinegrow.. I checked it out and compared to webflow.. its just a good but you own it.. Thanks.. its well worth the price..

xboxsold, Oct 31, 2014 IP
  7. mattront

mattront Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, xboxsold!

mattront, Nov 1, 2014 IP
  8. whtheme

whtheme Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm using it as well. However, not very familiar with it. I think I'm used to Sublime Text. I will play around more with Pinegrow.

whtheme, Nov 11, 2014 IP