1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who Is Indigo Stream Technologies / Google Alerts Not what you may think

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by Sickthing, Sep 21, 2008.

Looking at my stats within Wordpress I noticed an IP that was the IP that had viewed most pages.

Ii looked it up and saw it was own by a dommain called GoogleAlerts.com which is owned by Indigo Stream Technologies. At first I thought it was Google Alerts service from Google but on looking more the site clearly states it is not affiliated with Google at all. It is not the same Google Alerts that most of us know about. This site offers a free alert service and a premium alert service. I did not sign up.

I did email them to ask how I am benefiting from their visits to my site (since it is not a human). To me it seems like it could be a major waste of bandwidth. I checked my Webizlier stats though and they were not listed there. I'm wondering though if they showed up in a different name as ThePlanet.com showed up as the major bandwidth user. My host uses theplanet.com though.

I'm considering blocking this company from visiting my site. They are also related to copysafe.com To me copysafe.com looks like Google but its not Google. That caused me some concern there as well. copysafe is a service that searches to see if your material has been copied to another site. Very useful but that they made their site look like Google caused me to pause.

The GoogleAlerts.com site claims to have a good working relationship with Google. That really shocked me.

Anyone fill me in? I'm asking here as I'm trying mostly to find out if they are just a useless drain on bandwidth without providing anything in return or not.

Thanks.

Sickthing, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  2. Sickthing

Sickthing Peon

Best Answers:
    Additional INFO, they are 10% of all page views via IP on one of my sites. that seems significant to me.

Sickthing, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  3. Pascal Boulerie

Pascal Boulerie Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say that they are some kind of a meta search engine. It is a British Ltd company. They also operate CopyScape , a plagiarism checker website that needs to index huge amount of public documents in order to operate properly.

Pascal Boulerie, Feb 14, 2012 IP
  4. BigTim3

BigTim3 Guest

Best Answers:
    what are google alerts?

BigTim3, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  5. myladyindc

myladyindc Peon

Best Answers:
    They appear to be capturing your content from your website and including it in their database. That in America is illegal as it prevents you from having control over the content of your work. Send them a cease and desist letter.

myladyindc, Oct 26, 2015 IP
  6. darkarcherxc

darkarcherxc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Allow me to clarify folks... drum roll...

It is Copyscape. They are a legitimate company and what they do is check content for plagarism; I use them myself to verify the articles my writer writes for SEO. I copied and pasted a portion of my latest receipt to them to back up my statement.

Google AND universities (in addition to small businesses such as mine) around the world uses them and certainly, what they are doing is not illegal.

You sent a payment of $10.00 USD to Indigo Stream Technologies Limited.

Merchant:
    Indigo Stream Technologies Limited
    [dot]com

Instructions to merchant:
    You haven't entered any instructions.

-----------------------------------
    Purchase Details
    -----------------------------------

Description: Copyscape Premium - 200 searches

darkarcherxc, Jun 2, 2016 IP