1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Who here uses Ruby on Rails?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by SitPoMk, May 26, 2008.

Hey there

Anyone using RoR? What do you like about it?

I know it just enough but I'm starting a large project soon and would like to make the right framework/language choice.

RoR looks real good but I would like some feedback from any users?

Thanks

SitPoMk, May 26, 2008 IP
  2. hlln

hlln Peon

Best Answers:
    Poked Sitpomk to attract him that I have knowledge.

But before I start, why do you want to use ruby ? It changes from project to project in using languages.

Its like you could use all languages in all projects but the performance changes the amount of resources and the amount time that is consumed is important. Advice you should briefly describe your project.

hlln, May 27, 2008 IP
  3. qprojects

qprojects Peon

Best Answers:
    We could advice you better if you give us a slight overview of your project ;)

qprojects, May 28, 2008 IP
  4. ArcticPro

ArcticPro Banned

Best Answers:
    Ruby on Rails is a really powerful language. I also like PHP though if you're not advanced in it I'd stick with ROR though. ;)

ArcticPro, May 28, 2008 IP
  5. SitPoMk

SitPoMk Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I'm an experienced desktop programmer (Java, C++) but I'm new to the web so I guess the language isn't a problem but what is going to be a problem is learning new web concepts and the usability of the framework.

My project is a sort of personal organization web app. Somewhat like them 37Signals applications.

As of now, RoR looks like it has everything I need. I need rapid development, I want structure in my app and don't want my code to be all over the place. I need scalability (hopefully ;)) and I need AJAX which rails does very conveniently.

So everything seems in check but I know that there are many experienced web developers that are skeptical of it. I was hoping if someone could shed some light on that.

thanks

SitPoMk, May 28, 2008 IP
  6. Arkserver

Arkserver Banned

Best Answers:
    I'd created a few ROR applications before but those were nothing more than a few steps beyond the hello world :) I might try it again sometimes but for now, i don't see any reason (for me atleast) to use ROR since i primarily code in Java SE/2EE

Arkserver, Jun 1, 2008 IP
  7. sunil_gupta20801

sunil_gupta20801 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used it when i was working with SlideShare. If you know SlideShare, you can feel the power of ROR.

sunil_gupta20801, Jun 5, 2008 IP
  8. samlocalguy

samlocalguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do u know any complete tutorial of Ruby on Rail ?

samlocalguy, Jun 5, 2008 IP