1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which topic is your bread and butter?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by ontheweb, May 16, 2006.

Which topic/genre web sites bring in the $$ for you?

I'm not just talking about CPC and high-paying keywords here. Some topics bring can bring in huge traffic but a poor eCPM, whereas some niche topics will bring in little traffic but a nice eCPM.

My 2 best performing sites are a finance related one and a motor racing one. The motor racing site gets lots of visitors and clicks whereas the finance site isn't even finished and hasn't been promoted yet. However, the finance site performs as well as the motor racing one with less than 5% of the traffic.

On a separate note, am I right in thinking the people who have large traffic here mainly run tech/computer/net related web sites?

ontheweb, May 16, 2006 IP
  2. ishika

ishika Peon

Best Answers:
    i have even got one site related to finance.and woeking on another site but cant think of niche which to work upon.i m confuse betwwen 2 options will beauty tips site will work well or career counseling.plz advice e on this or should i consider some other niche sites.

ishika, May 16, 2006 IP
  3. mmariusel

mmariusel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Security related softare pages, and photography websites.

mmariusel, May 16, 2006 IP
  4. dadasays

dadasays Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no real advice to give on topics that generate income. All topics are affected by supply and demand, and all these factors fluctuate every day.

If there are a lot of people publishing on a topic, there is a high supply of publishers. If there are a lot of people advertising on a topic, there is a high supply of advertisers. The income of a given topic is bigger when there is a low supply of publishers and a high supply of advertisers.

Only time will show you if your topic is worthwhile. Nothing will work overnight.

dadasays, May 16, 2006 IP
  5. moaid123

moaid123 Peon

Best Answers:
    my site is broxy site generate about 0.5$ aday

moaid123, May 16, 2006 IP
  6. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    Entertainment gossip. Women love gossip and they flock to my site. :)

NewToAllThis, May 16, 2006 IP
    _vlada_ likes this.
  7. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you :D

dcristo, May 16, 2006 IP
  8. Sara

Sara Guest

Best Answers:
    Rare, antique maps and views of London - pulls in all the people doing family histories, geneologists etc. Big, big, big untapped market if you have the materials and information they want, particularly from the US where this is more than big. ;) Good ads which pay well, excellent CTR, loyal customers who just want more and I get to purchase wonderful rare maps which are a complete tax writeoff and an investment for my doddery years. :) Love it. :)

Sara, May 16, 2006 IP
  9. hextraordinary

hextraordinary Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Technology, technology, technology and more technology. Most of my revenue comes from technology, though it may change soon.

hextraordinary, May 16, 2006 IP
  10. LazySEO

LazySEO Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, I think the techie sites don't do as well for Adsense because those people won't click on the ads as much as a less computer-savvy person will.

My best sites right now are a gardening site and a travel site that skews toward the older crowd. I get decent click amounts on those topics, but they also have a much higher CTR than some of my other sites.

LazySEO, May 16, 2006 IP
  11. SIK

SIK Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What is the purpose of opening this kind of threads.. did you expect an answer like "yes, my topic is <insert niche topic name here> and there is NO competition, I'm having 5 000 000 uniques daily and am a premium publisher. Feel free to copy/paste my site on your domain." ?

IMHO, time reading stuff like this should be instead spent this way:

1 goto nichebot.com
    2 search high count and low ratio keywords for 1 hour
    3 if success=false go to 1

my 2 cEnTz

SIK, May 16, 2006 IP
  12. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Started a hobby site when I was in college. It's still going pretty strong, very high in the SERPs, and has got backlinks out the wazoo. It doesn't make a lot of money, but I like it nonetheless.

jackburton2006, May 16, 2006 IP
  13. tweety

tweety Peon

Best Answers:
    tech is the one u will get high traffic,but may be low bucks.bt in parallel u can run a high paying buck site.so that frm tech u get traffic,and frm other site u get bucks...

tweety, May 16, 2006 IP
  14. ontheweb

ontheweb Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you to everyone who has responded so far! :) I'm actually quite amazed at how open most are. It's good to see people not living in fear of copycats.

When you think about it, what's there to worry about anyway? If someone wants to copy your idea they probably don't have the drive to stick with it long enough to see the results anyway. Or they might not have a strong enough interest in the topic to be able to create content, keep interest etc etc..

That's a fantastic point looking at it from a supply vs demand perspective! :) I guess the hardest part is finding a topic with a high advertiser-to-publisher ratio that hasn't been exploited yet (ie. not much competition from other publishers).

ontheweb, May 17, 2006 IP
  15. ontheweb

ontheweb Peon

Best Answers:
    moaid123 - I don't even know what 'broxy' is.. LOL! :)

Sara, LazySEO - Your experiences are very interesting! Targeting an older crowd is definitely a piece of advice that gets overlooked a lot when talking about optimizing Adsense earnings. As you both point out, older people tend to be more cashed up (willing to spend) and less PPC-numb (ie. they don't just skim the PPC ads as much as the more tech-savvy).

hextraordinary - Do you find your earnings per click for your tech sites to be really low? Do you get your stuff on Digg and other popular sites a lot? Because I feel that for the low EPC of tech topics you need to hook some major traffic which it sounds like you're doing.. :)

16. ontheweb

ontheweb Peon

Best Answers:
    No, that's not the point of starting this thread. The main thing I was interested in seeing was whether the big dollar earners here are making their money from computer/tech/nerdy/geek topics or whether they're making it from other areas.

The computer/techy topics are extremely competitive, but at the same time easier to generate traffic to. If you get on Digg or Slashdot or even just post something interesting in a forum, you can get a lot of traffic and some very nice linkbacks very fast. Take a narrow, non-tech subject however and you'll struggle to pull as large traffic (but you may still get nice results as people are showing here).

I didn't mean this thread to be about niches but more about general topic areas (computers, gadgets, finance, sports, antiques etc). I don't think people should fear competition from others if they simply say "my best performer is my medical web site" for example.. It's not like there's only one medical site on the web.. :)

Anyway, with all that said your advice at the end about nichebot and doing the research is great! Very good if you're targeting a niche topic. :)

17. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My question was also:

And it was answered in the same post:

thanks SIK.

Here's my tip for finding a good niche, look for where money is wasted in corporations (bonus tip: consultants hang around these wasted piles of money so keep an eye on consultants).

tbarr60, May 17, 2006 IP
  18. jimkarter

jimkarter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One of my health related site is giving me most.

jimkarter, May 17, 2006 IP
  19. fcmisc

fcmisc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Computer monitors do well for me.

fcmisc, May 17, 2006 IP
  20. ontheweb

ontheweb Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow.. so cryptic! That's really got my brain ticking now! :)

On a separate note, another thing I wanted to try to draw out of this thread was whether there's a relationship between product-related sites and Adsense performance.

For example, I imagine the CTR and EPC on a site reviewing and comparing electrical products would be better than say, a 'joke of the day' site which didn't really have any focus.

ontheweb, May 18, 2006 IP