1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which things I should not delete in public_html?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by hungvn9, Jan 12, 2014.

Hello,
    Hosting experts please help me, when I buy a new host and access public_html I see some files and folders(eg: cgi-bin). Are those things required? Can I delete them? And when I move to new host should I also copy those files and folders to new host(especially cgi-bin)?
    Thanks in advance,

hungvn9, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  2. RoseHosting

RoseHosting Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can safely delete 'cgi-bin' from your document root directory and you do not need to move this directory when you'll be migrating your account to another host.

'cgi-bin' directory is the place where CGI programs are stored and it's not used that much these days.

RoseHosting, Jan 12, 2014 IP
  3. MikeLugar

MikeLugar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, you can delete anything you want in that folder. Your host may auto generate log files so be prepared for some stuff to come back

MikeLugar, Jan 14, 2014 IP
  4. HalfDedi

HalfDedi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    it depends on what control panel you use. on cpanel, the directory cgi-bin can be safely removed as long as you didn't have cgi script. if you only use php script that you may delete that folder.

HalfDedi, Jan 31, 2014 IP
  5. sabin

sabin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why even bother about deleting system folders anyway, for heaven's sake ?!?

You don't know what these directories are, except that they may be essential ? Then why not leave them in peace ? They don't weight anything in comparison to "real" website files so just forget about them.

sabin, Feb 3, 2014 IP
  6. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If at times, FrontPage is enabled and installed on the domain. It has it's own files/folders under public_html. Deleting the folders and files totally depends on your usage and the need of those files for your website functionality. Before deleting it, consider checking it with your webmaster OR hosting provider.

MilesWeb, Feb 4, 2014 IP