1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

which software you guys are using to design your website

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by guptishika, Jan 10, 2009.

1. diabloroxx

diabloroxx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    been using dreamweaver for a long time now....

diabloroxx, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  2. newyears1978

newyears1978 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah they are expensive..you get what you pay for.

There are free alternatives..a lot of people swear by that graphics program The Gimp..but I could never use it after using photoshop..

As for HTML...all the programs are really the same..when you know how to code by hand.. except that some pretty crappily put some extra messy code in there which why good ol text editors are the best. I like Dreamweaver because of some of it's built in features and the split screen design and code..with linking .css right at your fingertips..

newyears1978, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  3. NosZHi

NosZHi Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Notepadd++, Photoshop and the Firebug addon from Firefox.

NosZHi, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  4. marcbarak

marcbarak Guest

Best Answers:
    Notepad and nothing else
    Pure clean code is the best choice

marcbarak, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  5. Knewber

Knewber Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you marcbarak, just that it is easier seeing your code in action than previewing it constantly in IE/FireFox.

Knewber, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  6. -58-

-58- Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm still new too to the world of web design, it's interesting that you mentioned Fireworks. I had not thought of it either and I have it!

As far as purchasing the software, if you are a university student (as I am) make sure to check your university bookstore! I purchased Adobe Creative Suite 4 Design Premium, which retails for over $2,200 CAD (includes full versions of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Acrobat 9 Pro, Bridge, Version Cue, Device Central and training videos) for only $399.00 CAD! :D

Also, for what it's worth I got Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 full version for $64 CAD at theultimatesteal.ca

-58-, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  7. WWPinoy

WWPinoy Member

Best Answers:
    This is how I got MX Studio. Of course I was not in school myself, but I did get someone to purchase me the educational copy using his school ID. The version I have now also came from the same guy, but he is now out of school and working full time. Every year through various development partnership programs he gets a bunch of bundled software packages and he just happened to end up getting two copies of Studio 9 that year and gave me one of the copies in exchange for some articles. His agreement was that he could not "sell" the "gifts" but does not specify trading per say.

I actually use dreamweaver a lot in my writing work too. I like it because it has one of the best Find and Replace utilities. One particular job a gentleman was setting up 3 different sites with the same products but wanted all the descriptions rewritten for each one. Gave me access to the admin to do it, but I asked for the .sql file. Opened it up in Dreamweaver and used the Find and Replace to format the entire thing into something I could use and rewrite faster (i.e. removed tags, HTML and had it as Title:product Number:Description.).

Now I have tried Gimp before, but I prefer Fireworks. I can do a batch job with ease. Take an entire folder of full size images and within minutes have 2 folders; one with all the full-size images sized to the same resolution and another with thumbnails all sized the same. Furthermore, when running the batch I can make the full size images one format and the thumbnails another format to minimize the space they use. Plus I can take a full-sized image in Fireworks, slowly shrink it in half time after time using the bi-cubic feature and can create a 16x16 icon that actually looks really nice. Playing online games many people have asked why my icons always look so nice.

WWPinoy, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  8. wordfeed

wordfeed Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi there,
    What is feel is if you are lacking too much knowledge on HTMl, then use Dreamweaver for site design as you can design the way you want while not bothering about the code, as the code wil be automatically generated in the background. But if you have any better knowledge on HTML and CSS, then you can completely design the page in Photoshop and then convert it to coding..Photoshop is simply the best for designing!

Regards

wordfeed, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  9. tdjprj

tdjprj Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Used Dreamweaver for HTML websites. MacroMedia (now Adobe) to build flash sites.

Also used some template-based software to build sites quickly for smaller sites. Such as A4Desk and Web-Publisher. If you need a 7-8 pages website done in less than an hour, without any design or coding efforts, you can try these tools. Not really suitable for serious large scale projects.

tdjprj, Jan 18, 2009 IP
  10. fatedesign

fatedesign Peon

Best Answers:
    bah humbug, the only true way to design a site is like the legends of old. Use notepad

fatedesign, Jan 18, 2009 IP
  11. sjbarticles

sjbarticles Peon

Best Answers:
    Dreamworks - main site building
    Photoshop - main site graphics
    Fireworks - quick and easy graphic making
    CSSEdit - nice css editor
    BBEdit - light and easy to use for direct code editing

sjbarticles, Jan 18, 2009 IP
  12. tihomir_wwf

tihomir_wwf Active Member

Best Answers:
    only Dreamweaver and Photoshop, that's more than enough for me :)

tihomir_wwf, Jan 18, 2009 IP
  13. executioner2008

executioner2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    Notepad, Dreamweaver, TopStyle Pro.

Notepad is like the universal tool, u can use it for coding heavy stuff to coding css...
    I use Dreamweaver when I get lazy, cause with all the features used well you can speed up the process..
    For me TopStyle is the best tool I know to make my cascading style sheets full of functionality and really light app

executioner2008, Jan 18, 2009 IP
  14. executioner2008

executioner2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeahh youre right, If I were able to make a site completely with photoshop :(

executioner2008, Jan 18, 2009 IP
  15. webvinay

webvinay Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes try this little soft..you will love it...

webvinay, Jan 19, 2009 IP
  16. jawahar

jawahar Active Member

Best Answers:
    For me too.... I love these!!!

jawahar, Jan 19, 2009 IP
  17. potomon

potomon Peon

Best Answers:
    We use Ace HTML, its Pro version is quite good, but in the free version is one important thing missing - auto editing of html tags (when you need to just select a property from a list and add it you can't). But i thin it is similar in coffee software... And for graphics PaintShop Pro, a very old version...

potomon, Jan 19, 2009 IP
  18. jandus08

jandus08 Guest

Best Answers:
    With our vast experience in web design and programming, we can confidently recommend the use of Adobe Software & Tools for top-quality web design and web programming results.The software tools we are going to elaborate on are Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Fireworks, Adobe Flash, Adobe Contribute, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Creative Suite.For more information see our templates and free download templates on < a href='www.smartwebby.com'>www.smartwebby.com</a>

jandus08, Jan 19, 2009 IP
  19. blackrosezy

blackrosezy Banned

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver for HTML, Photoshop to create image and FileZilla to upload using ftp.

blackrosezy, Jan 19, 2009 IP
  20. WWPinoy

WWPinoy Member

Best Answers:
    That's why you need to use Fireworks. Photoshop is for images and Fireworks is for the internet. You can create all the same things in Fireworks, most in less time and less work, while at the same time you can export it out of Fireworks ready to go. Using layers, create the various sections of the page, each layer can have many components inside of it, but a layer will be exported as a <div> and CSS attributes will be assigned to it AUTOMATICALLY. Of course you may have to change some parts like those that can be repeated so you are using a smaller image. Using Frames you create the hover effects of a link and where needed, JavaScript will be automatically inserted. Once everything has been exported and optimized, in Dreamweaver turn it into a template and use on your site. If you ever need to make a global change, do it to the template file and Dreamweaver will update all the pages using the file automatically. Of course that is for a static site, if you are running dynamic then just skip the templating part and you can export the finished CMS theme to Dreamweaver for tweaking and uploading to the website.

-WorldWide

WWPinoy, Jan 21, 2009 IP