1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which Software To Use For WebDesign ? Frontpage or Dreamweaver

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by hansab, Oct 31, 2008.

Well, i am using FP since long time but now a days i see many people when they are looking for web designers, they ask for DW designers.

Now what do i do ? Should i switch to DW which i have never used or the Expression Web is a better version of FP then DW.

Please share your views, i really need your suggestions.

Regards,

hansab, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  2. SilentCivilian

SilentCivilian Banned

Best Answers:
    I use DreamWeaver personally, because I'm used to it, and it's all I need. I like how it finishes tags for me while I'm coding templates, and coding templates is a breeze in DW. I'd suggest moving on and using DW instead, it's pretty good. Although, the pros use Notepad. I used to do that, but why, I'm not sure. Only using Notepad is 100% legit, but I could use the extra help in DW. It doesn't bother me, the website turns out the same either way!

SilentCivilian, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  3. Sean@WMS

Sean@WMS Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I would say that from a code perspective, it doesn't matter much what editor. It's always best to "own" your code no mantter what editor.

That being said, when folks ask for "DreaveWeaver" developer/designer, they probably have no idea what they are talking about, they are just dropping a buzzword on you.

Code is code; it doesn't matter what editor one uses so long as one knows one's code.

Dreamweaver is the editor perferred by most pofesionals, but that by no means makes it better than even Notepad, when authoring code. It is also rather spendy for nubies, and has a solid learning curve.

Expression Web 2 is a good place to start. It's standards-compliant, has a low learning cuirve, and is pretty cheap when you upgrade from any installaion of MS Office ( get 'em on Amazon.com ). And, as you are used to FrontPage, you will find it vary familiar.

Sean@WMS, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  4. klaja26

klaja26 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im a notepad person and always will be. I never use FP and sometimes i use Dreamweaver to code quick mouse overs and other things like that. So out of the 2 DW is what i would use.

klaja26, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  5. rakha

rakha Member

Best Answers:
    From my experience ill say Dreamweaver is easier and faster to use. Ive used notepad but i like to use the code design in dreamweaver and refresh the design to see what im doing.

rakha, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  6. Sean@WMS

Sean@WMS Peon

Best Answers:
    I just gotta love someone that looks at code first, editors second.

Stay with the cause, @ klaja26!

Sean@WMS, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  7. garrettheel

garrettheel Peon

Best Answers:
    No WYSIWYG for me! Straight up text editor with syntax highlighting floats my boat. Textmate for OSX or Notepad++ for Windows

garrettheel, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  8. jaibin

jaibin Guest

Best Answers:
    I am using Dream weaver. It is very easy to use and it has many advanced features. It has a split screen and it usually doesn't change code around and add useless stuff. It has a nice Find/Replace features which will take care of everything in that page, or in a group of files or a whole directory even. I also like the DreamWeaver/FireWorks integration, and the use of templates. They are a bit tough to learn, but once you do learn them, you can create some nice-looking sites in no time.

jaibin, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  9. firmaterra

firmaterra Peon

Best Answers:
    I use notepad or notepad++ on windows. Text editor on linux.

You'll never learn as much as you will by doing code line by line, tage by tag. Its the only way to learn. Sure maybe speed is better in DW for finishing you're template, but there's a lot to be said (as someone already pointed out) for 'owning' your code.

firmaterra, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  10. arizona39

arizona39 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Notepad or Dreamweaver

arizona39, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  11. webdesigner

webdesigner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Programmers Notepad for me... Can't stand messy code

webdesigner, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  12. hansab

hansab Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks to all of you for great response. Actually i am not a good coder, if u just give me notepad and ask me to design a page i will fail.

I need WYSIWUG to design pages. I am using Frontpage since very very long time. And then i manually make changes in code to add ASP and other programming scripts.

Why i was asking about DW is , because many people say that Frontpage spoils the html code, it doesnt provide the Web 2.0 standard and all that stuff.

So thats why i was curious, if anyone has to say more please go on, for now i will install DW and see if its good. So many employers in my country are seeking employees who use DW and not FP.

I am not a trend follower, mostly people use PHP but i am still with ASP, but if DW has something better i don't mind switching to it.

hansab, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  13. garrettheel

garrettheel Peon

Best Answers:
    They'll both use bloat in the code and stick to bad practices. The only way you can have clean code that you're in total control of is using a text editor. No WYSIWYG crap, just straight up text. It forces you to learn the languages properly instead of relying on programs that skimp on standards such as FP and DW

garrettheel, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  14. 330td

330td Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use Notepad ++, it's the best software for website design IMO.

330td, Oct 31, 2008 IP
  15. adservermods

adservermods Peon

Best Answers:
    dreamweaver

adservermods, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  16. rochow

rochow Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you HAD to pick between the two, then DW for the win.

No WYSIWYG will ever compete with doing it by hand.

rochow, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  17. Rodder7

Rodder7 Active Member

Best Answers:
    How about coffeecup html editor? It has a html text editor and uses color codes. Also a preview pane, but isn't really a wysiwyg editor(it does have a visual mode but most folks that I know use it in html text mode).

Rodder7, Nov 2, 2008 IP
  18. snake charmer

snake charmer Guest

Best Answers:
    if you wanted to use dreamweaver itwouldn't take long to pick it up. i have been using it for 2 months and can build great, functional websites.

snake charmer, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  19. garrettheel

garrettheel Peon

Best Answers:
    Uh, DW produces horrible code

garrettheel, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  20. websushil

websushil Active Member

Best Answers:
    Which is comfortable for you. if DW than do and if FP and go for that. don't get confuse, you already better know about those software so it is very easy to choose.

websushil, Nov 3, 2008 IP
    hansab likes this.