1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which should I learn?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Roman, Jul 12, 2005.

?

Which do you use for your sites?

1. PHP

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. ASP

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. BOTH

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. OTHER

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
    Just wondering what people use most for thier web pages PHP or ASP and why.

Roman, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    But you have to look at why you want to learn it.

You may have better employment prospects with ASP - but check with local recruitment companies first.

PHP is widely available and you can learn in your own time so long as you PHP set up somewhere. Generally ASP information is more closely guarded so you'll find yourself needing to spend $$$ to make the same progress.

Let us know why you want to learn a web development scripting language and it'll make it easier for us to tell you which is better.

Sarah

sarahk, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi roman1, you really need to consider why you have decided to get into web development. Is this a career change? a hobby? or you just want to be able to control your own sites? The answer will affect the reply you get.

If you are looking at a career change talk to the recruitment companies about the number of vacancies they get for either language and and the pay rates. Where I am you can't get a job as a PHP developer but no problems with ASP. PHP remains the most used but by freelancers etc. The occassional job comes up but if you're looking for opportunities you don't want to be waiting for the scraps.

ASP will cost you to learn, though, as the technology is licensed and there aren't as many tutorials. The same info for PHP is easier to find and normally free.

Sarah

sarahk, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  4. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Sit back and wait for lots of opinions. :) C'mon noppid convince him :D
    (use php).

exam, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  5. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    I want to learn it for personal websites, maybe online businesses. I leasrnt VB, C++, HTML, back in '99 but haven't used them much. One question I have is can you put met tags on PHP pages, can you SEO php pages?

Thanks for the opinions.

Roman, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  6. jorge

jorge Peon

Best Answers:
    Asp.net is just great, you can do most thinks in half the time with it's huge library out of the box, it has amazing features like the datagrid control, the output-cache... webservices couldn't be easier. You can code using the syntaxis of almost any language (vb, c, java, even fortran! ha). Plus, it makes you code in a object-oriented way.
    There are thousends of tutorials for asp.net on the web, in fact the SDK comes with a great documentation (far better than php) and a very nice "quick start" tutorial.

But then, PHP is more accepted, and it runs on any server.

So, if you have the time, i say learn both.. so you can choose one according to the situation.
    If you don't have the time, go for php.

jorge, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  7. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Learning PHP has been extremely beneficial to me. I know several different languages, so it wasn't hard to pick up. I still use php.net often as I forget the order of params or need to find a function to do something specific. I actively code in three languages, so it gets confusing.

You can do anything in PHP, regarding HTML output, that you can do in html. One thing I do for customers is, even if I don't use any PHP in a file, I still name it .php rather than .htm or .html. It works just the same, except that if I ever need to go in and add something for the client that requires scripting, I won't have to rename the files or mess with setting up redirections.

GTech, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  8. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Thanks,
    Do you code PHP with a program like you do VB, or do you do it in a text editor?

Roman, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  9. GTech

Best Answers:
    I use Dreamweaver as a text editor. About the only part of it I use is the WYSIWYG editor for layout. Other than that, I code by hand. Not for the glory of saying I do, but rather it gives me the opportunity to know the code intimately and edit it better.

GTech, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  10. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Can you use frontpage?

Roman, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  11. GTech

Best Answers:
    As an editor, I'm sure you probably could. I don't use Front Page. I used it once many years ago and didn't like all the junk it put in the TITLE area. Dreamweaver was clean and simple, so I stuck with it.

GTech, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  12. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Thanks, I think I'll start with PHP and check out dreamweaver.

Roman, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is less nasty than Frontpage but I wouldn't recommend either. I use Zend but there are other good IDE systems around.

As for the creation of meta tags, all PHP and ASP do is generate text.
    What that text is is up to you.
    It might be html, xml, css, javascript, or garbage.
    PHP and ASP work on the server and it's up to the Browser (IE, firefox), or the indexer (googlebot) to interpret the text and make it sensible.

It's vital that you understand the difference between serverside and clientside (browser) scripting.

Sarah

sarahk, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  14. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    I understand the difference, I've just been reading some tutorials and playing with it. My main concern was optimizing pages for search engines in PHP. Guess I'll give it a go.

Thanks everyone for your input and I'll probably be bugging you all soon with some dumb questions.

Roman, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's the text you ask PHP to generate that is optimised. PHP doesn't know about SEO.

And don't hesitate to ask the questions. It's fun learning but frustrating sometimes too!

sarahk, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  16. tandac

tandac Active Member

Best Answers:
    Both PHP and ASP are quite good. Just to confuse the issue our developers use JSP for enterprise apps. If you were in the job market then JSP/Java might be something to look at.

As a hobby I say stick with PHP. Lots of documentation and tutorials available. Lots of sample code to look at. I personally code all my sites with a text editor and let someone else handle the "pretty" side of the site. If you're looking for an IDE of sorts for PHP take a look at Eclipse.

tandac, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  17. kdb003

kdb003 Active Member

Best Answers:
    eclipse is a good IDE for all sorts of languages
    my personal favorite language is python

kdb003, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  18. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    I would go with php generally. Its easier to find scripts, examples & people to help than with asp.

Design Agent, Jul 13, 2005 IP
  19. kjewat

kjewat Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would choose php because it's free.

Maguma Open Studio seems like a good php programming environment, but I have'nt used it myself.... I mostly use emacs :)

kjewat, Jul 13, 2005 IP
  20. prowess

prowess Guest

Best Answers:
    I go with php because there is so much free stuff and I can easily understand it. I use dreamweaver, but I only use it as a text editor...I should shop around for a more fitting program.

prowess, Jul 20, 2005 IP