1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which qualities do you think are important to a good writer ?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by lightless, Apr 23, 2008.

Both from the writer's and the client's perspective.

I think a good writer should be reasonably well educated and have creativity, imagination and reasonably good knowledge of his subjects.
    He should also have ability to find, process and assimilate good information.

And one thing i've learned to be true [Thanks Jhmattern ;)] is that he needs good marketing/self-promotion skills too.

So what do YOU think ?

lightless, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  2. 1associate

1associate Peon

Best Answers:
    Good writers – capture their reader’s attention; better writers do that and then keep it but the best writers do both and give their readers some sort of pay-off too – for instance new knowledge, insight or a good laugh. The best writers understand pace, contrast and how imagery plays in the theatre of the reader’s mind. They have technique and can call on a range of devices - alliteration, onomatopoeia and sentence structure for examples. Although good writers have extensive vocabularies they are without the need to show off their prowess. I suspect some excellent writers are in touch with their Muse too. More mundane but just as necessary you need time and a compatible environment in which to write.

What do client’s want? That depends on the client obviously but, as a rule of thumb, they just want the job done. If they want a presentation written generally they need it to “tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them then tell them you’ve told them” and all the stuff above about good, better and the best writers is irrelevant.

And I agree – if you can’t sell it or get someone else to sell it for you – forget it. That’s not to say in years from now you’ll think – why did I ever bother? At times like these you’ve got to believe you’re a good writer or you’ll give up.

1associate, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  3. scorpion123

scorpion123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess the writer must be very good in English as which is very very important...

scorpion123, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  4. Seasidewriter

Seasidewriter Peon

Best Answers:
    Tenacity - to keep plugging away when things aren't going as planned.

Self dicipline - to be able to budget your time properly to maximize returns.

Self starter - to be able to get up everyday and make yourself work, because you're the boss!

Seasidewriter, Apr 23, 2008 IP
  5. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is very true. Catching attention and giving people useful new information is important. A good writer's articles usually make an enjoyable read.

Yes. The hardest thing is to motivate yourself well and get the job done properly and on time. Because nobody is going to spur you on [except your client maybe]

lightless, Apr 24, 2008 IP
  6. chillingbreeze

chillingbreeze Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A creative writer must be able to get into reader's head with his HAPPY english, original and fresh thoughts presented in an interactive way.

One must be interested in the topic he is writing, only then he will be able to write from his head and heart! Of course, to win his readers.

Interest
    Perfect english
    Original and fresh thoughts
    An easy and interactive style of presentation

And you gonna win for sure!

chillingbreeze, Apr 24, 2008 IP
  7. trailtrekker

trailtrekker Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with all the above, especially with what 1associate said about good writers needing large vocabularies without showing off. In addition, I think all writers should have have the knowledge to use all punctuation and grammar correctly. An excellent creative writer can use punctuation in "incorrect" ways that contribute to his or her style, but no writer should reserve that right without first proving they can use punctuation and the English language correctly.

I also think a good writer is comfortable with his or her writing but will always strive to improve. A good writer should at least briefly consider any criticism about his or her writing and not just discard it as an insult.

trailtrekker, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  8. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    While i agree that basic grammar and punctuation is necessary. We shouldn't get obsessed with grammar and punctuation.

lightless, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  9. Annea

Annea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good writers:
    - read a lot
    - have good command of the language, are able to express their creativity
    - are curious and observant, especially if their genre is fiction
    - are able to write in a voice that suits their client's needs
    - loves to write, doesn't just do it for the sole purpose of making a few bucks
    - LOVE words
    Just my humble opinion.

Annea, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  10. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Very important. It's all the more fun, when you love your work.
    If you're in it merely for the money, you will be easily bored.

lightless, Apr 29, 2008 IP
    buffalo likes this.
  11. RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan Peon

Best Answers:
    Plug away, determination, and the ability to insert lots of keywords :), while making it flow smoothly.

RenaissanceMan, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  12. SicFounder

SicFounder Member

Best Answers:
    When I read something I always notice Grammar, Spelling, and format. When I write, I school myself on spelling and gramar.

SicFounder, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  13. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps the best answer to your question is, "it depends". I say that because different types of writing are designed to achieve different things and require somewhat different skills on the part of the writer.

For example, I had a client who requested a poem for his daughter's graduation. He absolutely loved what I wrote - in his mind I was a great writer. It was a truly special piece for an outstanding young woman.

However, that same poem would have been useless for someone who needed an essay for their Adsense site about high school graduation.

Even a #1 Google ranking webpage/essay would rarely satisfy a writing assignment for the classroom.

Someone looking for a direct marketing piece is not going to worry as much about the words used, the quality of the grammar, or the keyword density - all they want to see are conversions.

There are a number of common traits that identify a good writer but the skills required vary so greatly between the different types of writing that this question truly has many answers.

Did you have a specific type of writing in mind when you posed the question? Or were you looking for what makes a good writer in general - which is what most of the others have already answered?

YMC, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  14. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was looking for the common traits that all good writers possess or should aspire to possess.
    I'd love to hear what special skills are required for various important fields of writing as well.

lightless, Apr 30, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  15. ProjectY

ProjectY Banned

Best Answers:
    Can i ask you fellow Dp members whether or not you take determination as a good quality? Does anyone agree with me that it is really unhealthy to write continuously like 10,000 words? For me, I write about 6000 words and I am bushed. I need a break for about 5 minutes before I continue. What do you guys think?

ProjectY, May 1, 2008 IP
  16. MisterEThoughts

MisterEThoughts Member

Best Answers:
    Paying attention to the readers and not losing his credibility.

MisterEThoughts, May 5, 2008 IP
  17. AffiliateBot

AffiliateBot Guest

Best Answers:
    Good writers have perfect English. I see many people who think they're good, but are actually average. That's not good enough to be a writer. Good writers have a passion for what they do. They'll do anything to make an article great. I think those two things are key elements in a good writer.

AffiliateBot, May 5, 2008 IP
  18. kg_lew

kg_lew Peon

Best Answers:
    A vast knowledge of the language they are writing in. I don't really consider myself a good writer because my knowledge of the language isn't far beyond that of what they teach in schools, but I do enjoy writing poetry which is more along the lines of creative writing.

kg_lew, May 6, 2008 IP
  19. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on the concentrating ability of the writer i think.
    I can concentrate only for short periods of time. Slow and steady is my mode of writing.

That's why i don't take it upon myself to write 10 articles every day.

lightless, May 6, 2008 IP
  20. AA_Shah

AA_Shah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A good writer must have:

*good understanding of topic
    *great analytical skill
    *language skills
    *ability to put it on paper consicely

AA_Shah, Jan 20, 2010 IP