1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which programming language should I learn ?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Brother Hassan, Jul 16, 2012.

1. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You can move Object Pascal to both Linux and OSX -- what with Free Pascal/Lazarus being cross platform, as is the latest version of Delphi from Embacardawhateverthehellthey'recalled... Also xCode has full Object Pascal support as well.

Which it's kinda nice to see an actually verbose, clean, clear and sensible language making a comeback, after the decade and a half of "how hard can we make programming by making it pointlessly obscure and cryptic" that is C and everything based on C.

But after all, we all know that Unix and C area a hoax. :D

deathshadow, Aug 17, 2012 IP
  2. NeilPearson

NeilPearson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    C# with javascript is great for web development too. php isn't the only way

NeilPearson, Aug 17, 2012 IP
  3. jenyfarlopej

jenyfarlopej Member

Best Answers:
    As you have concept about html now you can learn php. I think it will be very easy to learn for you.

jenyfarlopej, Aug 17, 2012 IP
  4. Dynamo_M

Dynamo_M Guest

Best Answers:
    Dont take this the wrong way but if you plan to learn C++ from youtube vids then you really need to take a step back and reconsider your overall objectives.

C++ is a very complex language, one that allows you to make a lot of errors freely and this is partially because people poorly learn it, even with smart pointers the language is still overly complex and honestly unless you are going to invest some money in decent books, you really wont be learning it effectively.

Also you need to actually try to work out why you want to program, the language means nothing, learning C++ while nice is an awful first language to learn and I am shocked that so many people suggested C++ as a first language. Learning a language isnt about the syntax either, its about the programming principles, the design choices and techniques used to achieve results.

*sigh* sometimes I think Linus was right about what he said about people picking C++

Edit: The misconceptions about C# and MS are comical on here too, C# IS a cross platform language, has more features than Java and what you do on C# can be deployed on Mac (although I use Linux / Win only) and Linux as well as Windows without issues. C# has its very own powerful web framework, one suitable for intranets (ASP.NET) and one for the internet (ASP.NET MVC). Not only that, MS put a massive amount of dedication in C#, you only realise this when you pick a different language and wonder why its taken 4 years for the next version, where as C# is heavily maintained and continues to gain enormous amount of features.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
    Dynamo_M, Aug 19, 2012 IP
    NeilPearson likes this.
  5. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    +1 for C#. It's a nice and easy language to learn, has decent OOP principles and has great IDEs like visual studio. It's my joint favourite language.

BRUm, Aug 20, 2012 IP
  6. Witti

Witti Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I used to love the original C language, but yeah, I'd say C# is amongst the best languages now. Think of it as a mixture between Java and C++.

Witti, Aug 20, 2012 IP
  7. Candan

Candan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd suggest either taking up Java or C++ or C#, these are languages used in most programs you see today.

Candan, Aug 20, 2012 IP
  8. lennondevid

lennondevid Peon

Best Answers:
    As per my view PHP is best programming language because it is very easy to learn and has a user friendly features. It is more popular for web developing today. There are many web development company's working with PHP. I am personally uisng it and I like to work on it very much.

lennondevid, Aug 23, 2012 IP
  9. MobileWebmaster

MobileWebmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Recommendations Starting with php + mysql , It is easy to learn.

MobileWebmaster, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  10. royvn

royvn Peon

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

source: http://churchm.ag/what-programming-language-should-you-learn-next

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    royvn, Aug 30, 2012 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  11. hafij

hafij Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can learn PHP easily...

hafij, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  12. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MySQL is a database, it's not a language. The language you use to communicate with it is called SQL - and it's not "easy to learn". The basics are pretty easy, but a lot of the work you do in it isn't basic. (With some databases you can have thousand line SQL programs, executing on the database server, sending back a few K of data - or less - to the website.)

For web development I agree on PHP and SQL. And Javascript.

Rukbat, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  13. abiabiah

abiabiah Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I will recommend you to start with C, C++, if you have enough concepts about programming, I will recommend you to start iPhone development. iPhone development can lead you towards success and can leave back a lot of money for you.

abiabiah, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  14. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    +1 I studied relational algebra and calculus. It aint pretty.

BRUm, Aug 31, 2012 IP
  15. NeilPearson

NeilPearson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SQL is powerful and can be difficult but for most real world programming, if you can write a basic join statement, you can pretty much get by

NeilPearson, Aug 31, 2012 IP
  16. Idris

Idris Peon

Best Answers:
    i'm interested in the topic as well, i want to learn a language but i don't know which one to learn as they re all related to each other. Suscribed....

Idris, Sep 2, 2012 IP
  17. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Idris, learn programming first (in English, not in a programming language). Learning a programming language doesn't teach you to write programs, it teaches someone who knows how to write programs, a language to do it in. Wirth isn't the easiest thing to get through, but it's the best programming course ever written (by the guy who invented Pascal, Modula2 and Ada, among other languages). Algorithms + Data Structures.pdf

Rukbat, Sep 3, 2012 IP
  18. nullinvoid

nullinvoid Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    start out with java, and work your way around the others

nullinvoid, Sep 18, 2012 IP
  19. Vick.Kumar

Vick.Kumar Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can learn every language if you want, but from based from levels or skills. You could learn Python first, as it's really clean, and easy to write code in. Then move to other languages such as Perl, C/C++ (If you know one, the other is very similar), Java, and then go towards PHP, ASP or C#/VB.

Vick.Kumar, Sep 20, 2012 IP
  20. Host Volt

Host Volt Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you already know some basic HTML, maybe you can continue learning HTML more in-depth. Once you become more advanced, you can move onto CSS and PHP, and you'll know how to build any website! Javascript may be useful as well.

- Jason

Host Volt, Sep 24, 2012 IP