1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which programming language should I learn ?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Brother Hassan, Jul 16, 2012.

1. FredWhite

FredWhite Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would recommend C#

FredWhite, Aug 10, 2012 IP
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "What programming language should I learn?" is the same question as "I want to be a carpenter - which tool should I learn to use?"

If you want to learn programming, the first thing you should learn is programming, not a programming language (which is just a tool). You need to learn algorithms, data structures, classes, etc. You learn these things in English (or whatever your native language is). Start with the basics - "Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs".

Knowing a programming language without knowing programming is like knowing "hammer" without knowing anything about carpentry. You can bang on things but you won't build a house that way.

Rukbat, Aug 10, 2012 IP
  3. s103r

s103r Peon

Best Answers:
    java is good programming

s103r, Aug 11, 2012 IP
  4. akhilesh kanodia

akhilesh kanodia Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hi hassan,
    i think you should study C first.this language give u basic knowledge about language. then u can learn other language like C++ &java.both C++ and java add object oriented feature in C. if you know C then java and other language can understand easy. java is best language.

akhilesh kanodia, Aug 13, 2012 IP
  5. Dynamo_M

Dynamo_M Guest

Best Answers:
    While that is a very nice site, if he is new to programming, the theory could put him off, while I agree it is a good to know, he really should be jumping into programming with a language and seeing results. Everyone has their own way of learning so he may enjoy the theory work first but if I were him I would go straight into programming via a language and learn the mechanics of programming or computer science when necessary, you could say "Just In Time Learning ;)".

Dynamo_M, Aug 14, 2012 IP
  6. dynamic1234

dynamic1234 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well before you go for any good programming language you should first clear your base use c language , which will help you a lot in programimng. After You can go for a Java platform which is good programming language...

dynamic1234, Aug 14, 2012 IP
  7. Dynamo_M

Dynamo_M Guest

Best Answers:
    If he picked up a programming language book it would teach the non OOP side of things first anyway, the only thing that he would gain from C is how to work with raw pointers and how to depend on macros which are considered bad anyway, if he picked C++ after he would be using references and smart pointers anyway.

Learning C is good but learning it before any other language will make you pick up very bad habits.

The OP should pick a language based on his project (whether he made it up or not) and work from there, the OP needs to state what his intentions and goals are.

Dynamo_M, Aug 14, 2012 IP
  8. Brother Hassan

Brother Hassan Member

Best Answers:
    Guys I've chosen C ++ as the language that I want to learn (greatly due to a good free youtube course on it) but I'm confused about which IDE to use on Linux ?

Brother Hassan, Aug 15, 2012 IP
  9. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely the opposite - you don't start learning a programming language until you've learned programming itself - if you want to become a programmer. If you just want to fool around writing scripts, you can learn a language and fool around. But then you come here or to another forum, asking why some simple construct - that's completely wrong - isn't doing what you want. (And if someone explains it to you instead of just posting the corrected code, you learn that your code was doing exactly what you told it to do, but you don't understand programming well enough to tell the program what you want it to do.)

You don't study French to learn how to be a doctor in France, you study medicine to learn to become a doctor. French is just a tool you use to practice medicine in France. PHP (or any other programming language) is just a tool you use to accomplish programming - which you can't do if you don't know programming.

It's not "theory work", it's programming. Learning a programming language isn't learning programming - and you can't do programming if you haven't learned programming.

That's how to learn fooling around, it's not how to learn programming. (The problem with learning fooling around is that when you finally realize that you have to learn programming, you first have to unlearn all the wrong things you've been doing for years - and you never do. I've had to flunk people who learned a language first - and could never learn programming after that, because they always reverted to writing "fooling around" code.)

It depends, as I said, on what one wants to learn. Learning a language first is fine if all you want is to fool around. If one wants to be a programmer, that's one way to never accomplish your goal.

Rukbat, Aug 15, 2012 IP
    BRUm likes this.
  10. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I would focus on learning a good methodology then decide what language you want to use. Once you understand methodology, you can move to any language you want.

Brandon Sheley, Aug 15, 2012 IP
  11. lennondevid

lennondevid Peon

Best Answers:
    As per my view PHP is best programming language because it is very easy to learn and has a user friendly features. It is more popular for web developing today. There are many web development company's working with PHP. I am personally uisng it and I like to work on it very much.

lennondevid, Aug 16, 2012 IP
  12. ashleyjohn2347

ashleyjohn2347 Peon

Best Answers:
    For 16 year old if you need then you should learn basics of C Language. It may help you in high school if you continue with computer subjects.

ashleyjohn2347, Aug 16, 2012 IP
  13. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Buy some books, you can get second hand books on C++ off amazon for a few dollars. Don't rely on youtube, it's not a good idea.

Like Rukbat said you should also study the history and structure of programming first.

When I was younger I jumped straight into learning PHP and it took years to write properly structured code and until I then went on to university to study programming as a language it was still sub-professional, so if you hope to write coherent, reusable and efficient code then you must learn the theory behind object oriented design, programming and the languages in a historical and semantic context.

Studying compilers wouldn't hurt either ;)

BRUm, Aug 16, 2012 IP
  14. Brother Hassan

Brother Hassan Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, maybe I should just wait for my A levels Computing class where I'll be learning programming anyways =|

Brother Hassan, Aug 16, 2012 IP
  15. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not get a head start mate? :)

Where are you studying for your A Levels?

BRUm, Aug 16, 2012 IP
  16. kdb_bdk

kdb_bdk Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest you learn JAVA

kdb_bdk, Aug 16, 2012 IP
  17. ratan1980

ratan1980 Member

Best Answers:
    hi, that depends upon your objective. if you want to do web development then php is good choice. its easier to learn and opensource.

ratan1980, Aug 16, 2012 IP
  18. Brother Hassan

Brother Hassan Member

Best Answers:
    Nice idea - I can just use my A level books :)
    Studying in Pakistan =D

Brother Hassan, Aug 17, 2012 IP
  19. MobileWebmaster

MobileWebmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Web development : PHP
    2. Linux development : C
    3. Windows application : C++ / Object Pascal

MobileWebmaster, Aug 17, 2012 IP
  20. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cool, I didn't realise you did A levels there, I thought they were only recognised in the UK.

BRUm, Aug 17, 2012 IP