1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which programming Language Is In The Most Demand?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by tesla, Jan 29, 2006.

1. marty

marty Peon

Best Answers:
    I know I am coming in late, but I think that if you're looking to find a job programming then Java or .net are probably your surest bet.

It seems like you can be doing very well, very quickly in .net, but that you have a higher potential income in Java.

I think that Lotus Notes dude might have a good point, but I think you'd probably have to travel for good work.

I also think the Ruby on Rail may be the real thing. I wouldn't be surprised if RoR coders are commanding big bucks in a few years, but it's probably a risk when compared to Java and .net.

Good luck!!!

marty, Mar 17, 2006 IP
  2. vbrocks

vbrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Being a Lotus pro with 8 years behind i know exactly what TommyD is talking about... However to my opinion, Lotus has no future. Look, it can't address more than 16k documents at a time, or produce a query result which contains more than 5k documents without a server crash... Heck, they officially do not recommend storing more than 10Gb in a single database file. Who can use that thing nowadays? It's more like a legacy app now. Like a mainframe. Still works but no fun.
    .NET is a better bet. Especially when coupled to a SQL backend, that thing kicks ass. While learning C# and asp.net, you can slap together something like DealsWallet.com in a matter of days, including the CMS on the backend. And it will work on a Pentium II with 128Mb ram for months without a single reboot.
    Java, JSP, and J2EE is nice, but finding a decent development environment, marrying it with some beta-release JDBC driver, configuring a Tomcat or some other engine turns into weeks of nightmare for an inexperienced person. If you're thinking about trying Java for web development, go for Eclipse.

vbrocks, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  3. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Same thing was said about COBOL decades ago, I have a friend that has a wifey that makes good money doing COBOL. ;)

As for Lotus, yes, it's doomed, more likely the people who use it is doomed. Been saying that since R5. But, developers do not run the show, middle management does, and words like "Whole rewrite" scares people. Most middle management only see their positions as short-term stepping stones to their next unrelated position. So, can is last another year, sure thing, as long as their are misguided budgets, the non-computer geeks will just let status quo.

BTW, my resume has been off the market since 2003/2004, I still get opening offers for $55/hr. Plus, local to me a Lotus Notes Manager position was posted, for 6 figures(as an employee with mondo benefits).

Who cares if a platform has no future, I care about mine, and working for people will to throw good money at me after bad money on a platform is in my plans. ;)

I hold certs in J2EE and as a CLP.

later,

tom (<== doesn't like having to work ;) )

TommyD, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  4. kdb003

kdb003 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i second python! so easy and fast to develop

kdb003, May 5, 2006 IP
  5. Edmunds

Edmunds Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter.

Pick a lanaguage you like and are comfortable to type for the next 5 years as your daily job. Seriously, a happy PHP programmer who is good and efficient at what he does will earn more money than an unhappy Java programmer who doesn't like it.

Edmunds, May 6, 2006 IP
  6. jimrthy

jimrthy Guest

Best Answers:
    I really like python too, but it's really not much in demand

jimrthy, May 18, 2006 IP
  7. woodside

woodside Peon

Best Answers:
    I work in for a large company and all the big projects coming up are all Java.

It all depends on what you want to do, if you want to work for a big company, you can't go wrong learning Java. If you want to do web stuff on your own, php/mysql is a good way to go, but that is easily learned on your own. If you have a chance to take some good java classes, I'd do it.

-Erik

woodside, May 18, 2006 IP
  8. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    iatbm, May 18, 2006 IP