1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which program do you use for HTML? Notepad++ vs?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by formicin, Sep 12, 2012.

1. mca1309

mca1309 Peon

Best Answers:
    Try RJ and notepad is good as well

mca1309, Sep 17, 2012 IP
  2. php_developer

php_developer Peon

Best Answers:
    Macromedia Dreamweaver is the convent tools for developing the website in comparison to notepad.

php_developer, Sep 22, 2012 IP
  3. BradV

BradV Peon

Best Answers:
    I use ConTEXT, that's quite nice and easy to use, probably better for more complex coding, PHP, AJAx ect. But I do still use NotePad++ Preferably due to the FTP system..

BradV, Sep 22, 2012 IP
  4. alexkboorman

alexkboorman Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm I'll make a few remarks here. First off, I use Sublime Text 2 but in the past I've used TextMate and occasionally MacVim.

Some notes on other editors people have listed. NotePad++ is lacking in features so it's not really a good choice for a serious coder. Dreamweaver isn't a tool that any professional issues, it's bloatware, jacks with your code and is lacking plenty of features. GEdit is a viable alternative to sublime but you linux guys should really go for something like ViM or Sublime imo, more extensible.

alexkboorman, Sep 22, 2012 IP
  5. jibondev

jibondev Peon

Best Answers:
    you can use frontpage also

jibondev, Sep 22, 2012 IP
  6. DuncanM

DuncanM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use a plaintext editor.

Have used Notepad++ before, but prefer TextPad. If you don't mind the nag screen that keeps popping up, to remind you to buy a copy, it is free. (I really like it, so I paid for my copy.)

DuncanM, Sep 22, 2012 IP
  7. alexkboorman

alexkboorman Peon

Best Answers:
    you sort of want to get made fun of right?

alexkboorman, Sep 22, 2012 IP
  8. callpri

callpri Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I use Codelobster
    It works best for my needs

callpri, Jul 13, 2015 IP
  9. tomeek

tomeek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    tomeek, Aug 5, 2015 IP
  10. tomeek

tomeek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, a little slow but great for designers and SEO writers. When using wisely it will generate html tags automatically (works nice with word for example)

tomeek, Aug 5, 2015 IP
  11. mascot

mascot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is like driving a hummer to visit market just to buy a 1 pack of condom. HAHA

Notepad++ is the future of HTML Editing Tools.

mascot, Aug 11, 2015 IP
  12. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Wow! A zombie thread that refuses to die. Three years in the grave, and it rises to search for more brains to eat.

What the hell, I'll add to the topic. I have my favorite text editor, but what's important is that:
    1. Do not use Dreamweaver. In design mode (or whatever it's called) it is a total piece of crap. In edit mode, it is an expensive piece of crap. Almost every free editor out there is at least as good in all the things that matter.
    2. List the features you need in your editor. This is not about how shiny it is, but about how it can increase your productivity. E.g., some folks find syntax high-lighting helpful, others don't.

Some, but not all of my requirements:
    • Auto format according to content type; e.g. html, javascript, php, perl, python, etc. Below, I mention extensibility. An example of available extensions is one published by a software company for formatting C++ just the way they want it.
    • Cross platform compatibility; it should run in multiple OSes and hardware. Example, Linux, Mac, MSWindows, *BSD, etc.
    • Besides running in a GUI environment, it should run equally well in a terminal/CLI.
    • Buffers should be switchable like tabs, and also be tileable. I should be able to have multiple files (buffers) open side by side in the editor.
    • It should interface with common utilities; ftp, ssh, scp, shell, etc. I shouldn't have to leave the editor to do common tasks. Those utilities should not be part of the editor, which would only add bloat.
    • In particular, it should work transparently with your version control system. Mine automagically interfaces with CVS, Hg, SVN, Git and a few others.
    • The editor should be extensible. I looked the other day for a package I wanted to add to my editor. I found what I was looking for plus there were 2700+ other packages. Many are niche add-ons. For instance there is a package to add Croatian holidays to the built-in calendar/day-date planner. Not a big market, but it's there if you live in Zagreb. As it happens, the plug-in I wanted to try was dependent on a package I didn't like and had replaced. I could do that too.
    • The editor should be mature, have a large install base and continue to be under active development.
    These are most of my basic requirements. Yours will differ from mine on some issues and agree on others. There are enough text editors available to pretty much cover anyone's needs. Just don't waste your time and money on Dreamweaver and certainly don't ever use a word processor, MSWord for example, for web development or anything else not meant for the print medium.

My editor? Emacs. I first tried it in about 1998. I continued to try all the usual suspects Notepad2, Notepad++, e.g., but kept returning to Emacs. :shrug: I even wrote a Notepad clone with a few improvements in C++ and rewrote it in Pascal (the Pascal code was smaller and faster than the C++). Emacs is the one editor that does everything I want a text editor to do, and does it well.

Try everything you can find, then choose the one that does what you want without containing any deal breakers. I think @deathshadow mentioned auto-completion, if not here then on another thread, being a PITA. Likewise syntax highlighting. If you have your own editor PITA, don't ignore it. The editor is where you live if you're a developer.

cheers,

gary

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    kk5st, Aug 11, 2015 IP
  13. Lalit Goyal

Lalit Goyal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I use Netbeans.

Lalit Goyal, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  14. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why? This isn't about voting for the prom queen. Tell us what makes your editor a good choice.

I don't mean to pick on you, @Lalit Goyal. There are a pot-load of other posters, too, who don't seem to get it that we (should) choose an editor based on its capabilities. If you or they don't tell us how the editor makes the work easier or go faster, your comment is totally lacking in value. So come back and explain why Netbeans is the one best suited to your needs. It may be the best choice for someone else also. That would be a Good Thing, right?

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  15. guru1surfer

guru1surfer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sublime for Mac

guru1surfer, Aug 14, 2015 IP
  16. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    :shrug: Another NULL post for count only.

kk5st, Aug 15, 2015 IP
  17. guru1surfer

guru1surfer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Count for what!!? Why would i want to do such a silly act (maybe you know why). The topic of this thread is not "What programs are there for HTML editing" on the contrary, it is a direct question to what people are using, think of it as a survey what people are using most. Anyways, i did not even see some one posted sublime, not that it would have stopped me from participating.

A little peace of advice for the harmony of this forum "think very well before you accuse somebody wrongly" Peace :)

Updated Just noticed that this thread has been going on for a while!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    guru1surfer, Aug 15, 2015 IP
  18. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Because your post contains just 3 words, you don't explain why "sublime for mac" what made you choose it, what's good about it..etc, 3 word posts serve no purpose whatsoever..just sayin'.

malky66, Aug 15, 2015 IP
  19. guru1surfer

guru1surfer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you @malky66! That is a much better approach :) I am new here and still not very familiar how threads are crafted here at Digitalpoint. I thought the topic is just a curiosity question and not the review type. But here we go:

I use sublime with total satisfaction, simply because there was nothing i needed to do that sublime didn't enable me to do, and we human-beings are afraid of change when we are in convenience, so i did not venture much in other editors for mac. I do use notepad++ on my Azuz computer, but to tell you the truth i don't remember the last time i used my other computer for coding.

Sublime is a paid service and not that cheap. But really, once you are hooked on it, you most probably will not change it, i used it more or less daily, to me the price is really worth while. You get what you pay for, and sublime give me even further (total satisfaction.)

Most importantly, sublime is a rigid application yet smooth, it also seems to be more complete than any other mac editor.

Hope this cleared things up :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    guru1surfer, Aug 15, 2015 IP
  20. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    @guru1surfer no need to apologize or explain yourself to anyone. You'll always have idiots here (and in real life) telling you what you should or shouldn't do. Just ignore them. You said what you wanted to say. It's none of their business to tell you you're wrong. None of the people that will be telling you what / how to post on this forum have any relation to this forum. They have zero privileges or rights over you. Just ignore them.

qwikad.com, Aug 15, 2015 IP