1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which OS do you use?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zohaib, Mar 17, 2006.

?

Which OS do you use?

1. Windows

69 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. Linux

12 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Mac OSX

9 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. girbaud

girbaud Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Windows, like you^^ i'd also like to learn linux. :)

girbaud, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  2. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    linksys 54g, it was a while ago, there wasn't any driver..
    the sound card is creative sound blaster. i can't get my cd to play

ahkip, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  3. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    samskpunk : must be mixer problem :)

well you should try zenwalk ... check on distrowatch since zenwalk.org was down and maintainance is in progress ...when forum will be up on slackplanet.org we will help :) or pm me if you bump to the wall with linux ... another good is slax live cd :)

iatbm, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  4. corinaw

corinaw Not Banned

Best Answers:

Windows Vista is not yet released to the public, are you using the beta? I know they prerelease products for eval/dev/testing purposes.

Please tell me what you think about it, specifically the os features. Since this is not released yet I assume the version you have has got a few bugs.... But how cool is it?

corinaw, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  5. SEO Guru

SEO Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    About to move to linux, Windows is too common, Linux is the future, now even dell system are shipped with linux, w00t ;)

SEO Guru, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  6. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Linux (SUSE is my preference, although I've used several others). :) Since I started working in Linux support (2002), I haven't turned back to M$ Windoze.

For me personally...:

I found Linux quicker and easier to set up for webdev. My friends always complain to me about problems configuring WAMP, so I always try to encourage them to set-up LAMP on an old PC.

All of my PC's hardware auto-configures in Linux, too, including wireless and bluetooth.

It was easier to set up for multimedia... everything working in 1 video player (xine) and 1 audio player (xmms). I had too many AR problems in Windows and DVD software players crashing when inserting a DVD. I got tired of having to install several video and audio players...

But the best thing is I found it's easier to fix problems. One can find out more about what's going on and what's going wrong with Linux than with Windows.

But that's for me..

If anyone's trying to get to know Linux and is having problems I'd be happy to (try) help. :)

ryan_uk, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  7. SEO Guru

SEO Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    THats nice I think i again need your help Ryan, :D
    Can you point me to a Minimal package (Suse - Linux 10.0) I mean it be as lite as possible, i dont need the whole package, eager to switch ;)

8. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Is this what you're after? en.opensuse.org/1_CD_install

ryan_uk, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  9. SEO Guru

SEO Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, thanks Ryan, you seem to be helpful guy, :) Thats what i was looking for for days on the novell site :(

10. troyan_comu

troyan_comu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    windows here too :) I have bugs :)

troyan_comu, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  11. SEO Guru

SEO Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    It's highly disappointing, not even worth an eval, just a 3d version of Winxp, I donno why MS say it would be the best OS ever, Its around 2.2 gb for a 32 bit version, and a 20 mb windows blinds software does that trick pretty easy, and its no where around that 3 second boot time , as they claim, damn it takes more time than xp. Highly Unrecommended :D
    and about the OS features, not much change, Uses 7 gb of space on your harddisk, but yeah, IE 7 is cool, and clear too. Has a changed Control Panel, like they did it from win 2k to xp, another switch this time

12. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Windows XP on this machine -- my daily working one -- and Red Hat's Fedora Linux on my internet servers.

I keep trying the various distros, but I am always frustrated with the GUI. I can never get the mouse to work as smoothly and as finely grained as under windows, which IMHO is slightly behind OS-X.

If you do not need to use any specific software that requires a scertain OS then I would highly recommend Linux because the long term cost is always going to be exceptional. As in "0" dollars and, really, no more effort that it takes to become a Windows power user. If you are not a power user, you may find the Linux learning curve steep.

I cannot quit windows because I still use PageMaker for print publications that I create and I have some extremely old and vital Excel 3.x macros which would take hundreds of hours to recreate under any of the Linux spreadsheets or databases. On the other hand, you will not catch me upgrading Excel or MS Office.

The other part of your decision should be based on what you do. If you are a big time gamer, stick with Windows. Otherwise, Linux has reliable options for pretty much everything you want to do. Having said that, there is also a large and vibrant open source community serving the needs of windows users. And windows has free and/or open source alternatives for nearly every major thing your machine may need to do.

As to which Linux works best for you. If you have broadband and time, download and clean install them in sequence until you find one which seems to do things in a way which makes sense to you. They all run the same software. But, there are major differences in the strength and useability of their system maintenance software and system utilities.

With Linux, the fun is in the journey.

clancey, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  13. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    MS is wasting time on users like me. I went back to classic windows with XP and if I had Vista installed, I would immediately turn off each and every bit of eye candy. Me machine runs tolerably fast, but I still kill it.

If Vista contained vast improvements on its memory and threads management, then I would become interested. Otherwise, I will stick with XP until forced to move to something. Maybe I will wait until Windows Universe is released . . . or switch back to a Mac.

clancey, Mar 18, 2006 IP
  14. SEO Guru

SEO Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    If speed is the issue then i'll say, just wait for the Win xp sp3.
    Btw i forgot to include that my win xp is fully loaded with my graphic designing tools, and web development like dreamweaver etc, and desktop utilities. and vista was completely clean install Just firefox installed, and the booting time it took was more than win xp, and it heats up my pc, so i'll be wiping it off and installing linux instead (thanks to Ryan). :)

SFOD_D223 likes this.
  15. vol_freak

vol_freak Member

Best Answers:
    Ubuntu Linux.

I still dual boot windows though.

vol_freak, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  16. SFOD_D223

SFOD_D223 Peon

Best Answers:
    I prefer Windows XP Professional for a multitude of reasons..

SFOD_D223, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  17. Sholva

Sholva Peon

Best Answers:
    All of the above on a regular basis.
    + FreeBSD

Sholva, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  18. courtney

courtney Peon

Best Answers:
    OS X. Meow.

courtney, Mar 21, 2006 IP