1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which one is best and scrure.. Joomla or Wp?

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by samlocalguy, Mar 12, 2008.

?

Which one is best and secure

1. Joomla

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Wordpress

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
    I want to start a News site.
    Which one is best for news site?
    Joomla or Wordpress?

And Why?

samlocalguy, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  2. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I think both are secure as long as you update both immediately, when an update is available. I know that Joomla is targeted the most by hackers who are looking for sites using older versions.

Pixelrage, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  3. samlocalguy

samlocalguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    So I should go for Wp blog or any another cms?

4. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    For news, I'd go with Wordpress. You may or may not want to take my advice because I have a very low opinion of Joomla :)

5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just out of curiosty why do you have a low opinion of Joomla? have you had a bad experience?

pipes, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  6. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    I've used Joomla for awhile in the past. I just don't like its performance, especially when a site gets big or gets a lot of action. I personally would rather use something like Wordpress, which has cleaner code.

pipes likes this.
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    A fair enough comment, i haven't used Joomla yet, still will, its good to try for myself i guess, but i can understand your opinion, you need what is best for you.

Im currently reading lots about wordpress and Joomla, im interested in them both i feel their both probably great just depends on the type of sites and size etc.

pipes, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  8. kodin

kodin Peon

Best Answers:
    i think wordpress is more safer, because the function on the wp is limited. in joomla there are lot of function... until today, even joomla release stable version 1.0.x they still cameup with updated version on security vulnerability.

kodin, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  9. ApplicationEmpire

ApplicationEmpire Banned

Best Answers:
    Joomla is awesome! Way better than WP in my opinion. Anyone who disagrees hasn't seen what it can do.

ApplicationEmpire, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  10. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    there are pros and cons to each!

Wordpress = loads quick, even with a big site...has lots of plugins that are very easy to install...easy to modify...has a big community and it's easy to get help quickly. However, it wasn't originally intended to be a CMS, so a lot of things would have to be done manually if you want some kind of uniform feature within the body area of the posts, etc.

Joomla = was built to be a CMS. Has lots of plugins and lots of them are buggy or havent been updated in ages. You have to make sure they're still being supported. Other nicer plugins (which would normally be free on Wordpress) cost $20+ for Joomla. I don't know if the new version of Joomla has SEF URL's but in all, the URLs were atrocious and very un-friendly to search engines. Also, Joomla has very heavy code and it just has "too much stuff", which weighs the site down as it gets bigger.

just my experiences.

11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I must admit thats something thats not ideal i know many things can get abandoned but i agree with the thought on support of plugins, when i do get a Joomla site up and running im hoping that more extensions are updated for 1.5 as il be starting with 1.5, i understand that developers cant or wont always get things updated straight away, sometimes when im looking through the available extensions for Joomla i see something great then realise its not available for 1.5 yet, i guess theres always an alternative with the number they have available, but something i have to keep in mind regarding my future plans and extensions being abandoned after a while.

pipes, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  12. samlocalguy

Best Answers:
    I also used both WP and Joomla. WP is easy to install and understand.

I heard that Joomla can be easily hacked. So, is their any feature which make it more secured.
    I want to be a professional website for which Joomla is best. Wordpress is easy but it is just a blog.

What you think? Can We use Wordpress as a professional News site?

If yes, I would like to do go for Wp.

13. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    the last company I worked for had Joomla. It was hacked 4 times (as in completely taken over and replaced) during the 2.5 years I was there.

14. samlocalguy

Best Answers:
    hmmmmm
    I think it help me lots to understand..

15. ascetic

ascetic Peon

Best Answers:
    I learned CMS from Mambo and Joomla, then moved to Drupal and Wordpress. I don't quite understand about the security issues that Joomla has, but when you've tried Drupal and Wordpress and have been used to them. You'll feel that Joomla is nowhere near both, at least for me. You'll feel that you don't have enough freedom to customize joomla.

Joomla is built based on the End User point of view, while Drupal concerns more on Developers'. Wordpress on the other hand is a blogging platform, it's meant to be simple, but it has really clean codes just like drupal and both communities are awesome. You will also find some articles or mods to make wordpress as CMS.
    Both drupal/wp modules/plug-ins have to be GPL-ed (Free). However, there are lots of Commercial Joomla Extentions, and most of them are the best of Joomla.

The point is, they're all the same. they have great communities and contributors, the best of all they're free. It all depends on your own preferences and requirements.
    I see dozens of this kind of post each month on DP. Please try it yourself before you ask. browse their forums and read the manuals, search for plug-ins. in the end you can choose what is best.

...somehow I just don't like joomla :D

ascetic, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  16. samlocalguy

Best Answers:
    hahaha lets start poll for it. I opened a poll on Wp and Joomla

samlocalguy, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  17. nICEsHARE

nICEsHARE Active Member

Best Answers:
    I only like Joomla cz there are some beautiful templates and nothing more ;)

nICEsHARE, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  18. chinese-seo

chinese-seo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am using Joomla! 1.0.14 RC1 Stable. Is this version secure enough? Anyone can tell me how I make it more secure? Thanks a lot!

chinese-seo, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  19. ApplicationEmpire

ApplicationEmpire Banned

Best Answers:
    ApplicationEmpire, Mar 13, 2008 IP
  20. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Pixelrage, Mar 14, 2008 IP