1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

which looks better?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by younghistorians, Jun 8, 2004.

younghistorians, Jun 8, 2004 IP
    zoom likes this.
  2. rocky

rocky Guest

Best Answers:
    #2 is too much yellow.

rocky, Jun 8, 2004 IP
    zoom likes this.
  3. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    #1 is too much gray.

:)

dazzlindonna, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do you want a splash page at all. This is not usually considered good design for the following reasons.

1. It annoys some viewers -- I personally feel insulted if I land on one --because there is one more click they have to make to get at the meat of the site.

2. They are hard to do search engine optimization for because there is no content.

In all seriousness except for the badly advised people who insist on Flash Splash pages which are almost universally reviled, nobody has done splash pages for the last 4 or 5 years. Just can the idea and do a home page with some information on it.

compar, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  5. younghistorians

younghistorians Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm doing the splash page until im done fundraising for the actual site.

6. younghistorians

Best Answers:
    yes, but how does that compare to #2?

7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    as long as it's just temporary then there's no reason why you shouldn't use one- in the long term though you should definitely try to move away from them.

I like the first quite a bit more. the form at the bottom seems oddly out of place though- just the format of it. otherwise very nice.

disgust, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  8. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I like #2, IF the links where in the yellow area next to the women. I don't know if it's just my browser, but the links are showing up under the yellow image.

ViciousSummer, Jun 8, 2004 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I like #2, draws me and commands my attention.
    The artwork in #1 is great but in a visual, looking at kind of way, than a reading, getting interested, I want to come back way.

sarahk, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  10. SEO_AM

SEO_AM Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am not a fan of splash pages. That aside, the gray makes both of the pages look drab and uninviting. Sorry, you asked for opinions. :rolleyes:

SEO_AM, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  11. younghistorians

Best Answers:
    Now, thats an idea! I had not thought about that before...but I think that would look the best.

I'll change it soon-thanks again!

younghistorians, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  12. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    But why should that stop you from putting some content on the page. You're asking people to subscribe to a newsletter and you don't tell them anything about it.

If you are fund raising, say so, and state what your final goal is. Put contact info on the page or even a PayPal "Donate" button, someone might want to send you money.

If you don't do some or all of these things what good is the page doing? You might as well wait for your fund raising before putting anything up, because what your proposing is absolutely useless.

compar, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  13. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    From comments of respondents it appears most fell like I feel.

1. Splash pages do not lead to good indexing and add nothing.

2. If you are determined to have a splash page you need better design. I find gray deadly dull and second one not yet complete. It looks like it lacks somethiing to me. It may be links in yellow area as someone suggested. I am not one that can look at existing page and say do this or that but I immediately know when I thiink someone has gotten a pleasing design in my own mind.

Good luck.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jun 9, 2004 IP
  14. younghistorians

Best Answers:
    I think im going to have to re-think this whole splash page idea.

The blah.html (the 2nd page) is out-im not going to use that.

My main intent was to use the page as a placeholder for the domain until the site is complete. I wanted it to convey a small amount of what's coming, but other than that, I wanted to leave it slightly as a mystery.

I have a contact form on there for anyone that feels too confused or wants more information, a vague page stating some of the site's needs, and a PDf file with alittle more information. The reason ive left it like that is because about 75% of the users that visit that page will already understand what the site is going to be, why that page is there, etc. The other 25% can deal with it.

To sum it up, I decided to use a splash page because the page's main audience will already know something about, and don't need the page to give them any more information.

Thanks!

younghistorians, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  15. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had other people tell me that kind of thing. I think it is the dumbest answer in the world. The Internet is a huge world wide communication device. If all the people you are interested in already know everything they need to know, what the hell are you doing on the Internet.

If you want to keep it a deep dark secret, don't put up a web site! If are willing to insult anyone who happens to find the page but isn't in your inner circle then keep right on.

You have personally insulted me by having the audacity to ask me to review your site and then publicly stating that if I don't know what it's about I "can deal with it". Why don't you just say I can go to hell. That's what you really mean.

compar, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  16. younghistorians

Best Answers:
    I was asking for a review of the design, not the content.

You make it sound like I put a big bold message on there: "HEY IDIOTS, TRY TO FIGURE THIS SITE OUT!"

Yeah, ok, whatever you say. You choose to feel that way.

younghistorians, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  17. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    younghistorians,

There is probably a more delicate way to put this but, many of us find websites we know nothing about prior to visiting a link or search result. As Compar has stated, those of us who would know nothing about the site beforehand would be rather put out upon arrival. The look/design of the page is more than a graphic and placing links, content, etc. on the page does more than just aesthetics, it brings the visitor in.

Your request to review the 2 options made me feel that you wanted opinions. Hopefully, each of those posted here are "constructive criticism" and are taken as such. The web is more than a small collection of friends and relatives and should probably be recognized in that context when creating the splash page or any other page of the site. IMHO

North Carolina SEO, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  18. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with VS on that one - move the links up on #2.

I don't know if I care too much for either, partly to do with what compar already stated.

debunked, Jun 10, 2004 IP
  19. zez

zez Peon

Best Answers:
    You have asked, which look better.

zez, Jun 24, 2004 IP
    zoom likes this.
  20. younghistorians

Best Answers:
    Note to everyone: I no longer need any more responses.

Also, Zez, how can you say #2 is better looking when that fire was deleted a couple weeks ago? It no longer exists, so im not sure how you could say that.

younghistorians, Jun 25, 2004 IP