1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which Keywords are Best for a TRAVEL BLOG?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Mr.Dog, Mar 29, 2013.

Hi,

I decided to launch a travel site, which has the format of a travel blog, but it will be a real site, not a blog - meaning that I'll be doing all the coding and content writing and it will have more features than a blog etc.

But I'm not sure whether I've chosen my keywords well...

How do people find GENERAL TRAVEL BLOGS or in my case: a general travel site?

So far I only managed niche sites, this is way too broad... It will contain destination guides, photos, maybe even reviews and polls. I will have keywords for those.

But for main page - primary keywords I guess it will be "travel", "travel blog", "travel stories", "travel guides"... any more ideas on which keywords kick-in well for general travel sites/blogs?

Mr.Dog, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  2. Alcalo

Alcalo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well you don't have to guess at all. You can use free tools like GAKT (Google Adwords Keyword Tool) or paid one such as Long Tail Pro or Market Samurai an look for longer phrases with a decent amount of global / local searches (depending on what region you want to target) so that way you can drive more traffic to your site.

This could be a little bit long so you have to be patient. And of course, you can always use PPC if you have a budget for that ;)

Alcalo, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  3. The SEO Man

The SEO Man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just use the following keyword list: travel, blog, guides, stories

The SEO Man, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  4. dennisb

dennisb Member

Best Answers:
    This is a quote from your website, how come you don't know anything about finding keywords or SEO strategies?

dennisb, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  5. Alcalo

Alcalo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    And actually the design of his website is super professional. :cool:

Alcalo, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  6. MikeQ

MikeQ Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you have to decide first that you want a travel blog or travel site.

On a travel site, you can create section for blogs, as this is used by many popular sites, you can do so.

Apart from this, as you would be posting services on home page so it should look professional, and it should look like a professional website, with professional logo.

MikeQ, Mar 29, 2013 IP
  7. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by "don't know anything".

I know plenty, experience: 10 years+, but I like to hear others' opinions!

I've built loads of sites, but what if someone has a better opinion? What if someone can tell me something useful?

This is the first "general travel" site that I'm building. So far I've been focusing on niche sites. I'm pretty experienced in niche SEO-ing.

But what about broad-theme SEO? That's a new dilemma I'm facing.

A site just about travel with loads of keyword variations, but a narrow set of primary keywords.

Mr.Dog, Apr 2, 2013 IP
  8. Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog Active Member

Best Answers:
    To repeat the issue:

The site I'm planning will be a site (decided already - no blog, but will have blog-type sections), but it's way too broad.

I was hoping someone here had experience in the travel industry. The "travel" field is way to broad, so far I've focused on niche sites, but a general travel site will have to face stiff competition.

I posted this question, because I think it's a "hard nut" to create a general site and face the strong "general" competition...

I reckon that for this general travel site...:

*I will still have to depict several niches only in order to attract inbound traffic - then they will discover general services as well - including online booking etc.
    *will have to create good presence on community sites as well
    *I came up with some viral SM techniques that could spread the word of the site
    *I have a network/set of partners who accept guest posts, so will have the possibility for deep in-linking
    *link building is not a major problem for me, since I've been working in the industry and will find partners easily - but then again, all sites I have connection with are niche sites

I guess I will have to pay more attention to decreasing bounce rates, increasing time spent on site etc. That would compensate a bit into the SEO work.

Any more ideas are welcome. I'm still looking for a "blockbuster" strategy that will boost the general site into the top...

Mr.Dog, Apr 2, 2013 IP