1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which is the best resource to learn html to wordpress conversion?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by lindagreene, Jan 12, 2013.

I am looking for the best resource to learn HTML to wordpress conversion. Can someone point me to the right link?

lindagreene, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  2. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well, "it depends". Sorry, I know that isn't helpful, but if you can clarify a bit. Are you wanting to import content and also convert the design to Wordpress? Or just import content?

Importing content is fairly easy. If it's from static HTML, then it can just be a case of copy and paste. Well, there is a bit more to it than that, such as retaining the link structure. For example, your pages are called domain.com/my-blog-article.html, you will need to configure what's called "permalinks" in Wordpress so that you can have the same type of post names. Alternatively, you can use Wordpress' own kind of link structure (domain.com/my-blog-article/ as an example) and redirect the old type to the new one.

But that's jumping ahead a bit and first you need to get to learn how to use Wordpress. You should start here:

Getting Started with Wordpress

Install it, configure it, install some themes and see what options they have (some allow colours to be changed, for example).

If you actually want to convert your theme to Wordpress, it's worth learning some basic PHP (such as loops, echo, print and similar), although their site does explain the technical side of themes, too. Plugins can also make life easier and avoid doing some of the handcoding (as does using widgets, too, which you'll find under the appearance section).

Good luck and if you have specific questions that the Wordpress site doesn't answer and you can't find a solution to, don't hesitate to ask.

ryan_uk, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  3. lindagreene

lindagreene Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much Ryan_uk for answering my post. I know basic php(such as loops, echo, print and similar), now I want to learn to convert psd to wordpress theme. I want to convert a static site to wordpress. Are there any good free tutorials for that?

lindagreene, Jan 18, 2013 IP
  4. hasanoben

hasanoben Active Member

Best Answers:
    hasanoben, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  5. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress CMS is best option for you to create your website easy.

creativewebmaster, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  6. jenyfarlopej

jenyfarlopej Member

Best Answers:
    Try to search on youtube. Basically I take help from youtube and another blog.

jenyfarlopej, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  7. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

Geez, how behind I am with posts...

There's only one time I converted a PSD to Wordpress. I installed a theme similar, chopped up the graphics and added them in via CSS or HTML (and a few PHP conditions used), but all that was done from experience I already had. The link hasanoben mentioned might be your best bet. Once you can convert to HTML then it will be much easier to implement in Wordpress. The only difference will be to learn the theme structure for Wordpress (which is independent of PSD to HTML), so you know which files to put the particular HTML parts into. (It's all fairly straightforward - footer.php, header.php, sidebar.php, etc.) Don't think about Wordpress right now, but instead the conversion to HTML. Once you get to the stage of converting it to Wordpress, send me a PM if you get stuck (free help, I promise).

ryan_uk, Feb 6, 2013 IP
  8. dianarob

dianarob Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Youtube.com So many great "how to" videos.

dianarob, Feb 14, 2013 IP