1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WHich is the best FREE forum software?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by medusa, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I installed easy mod (or rather it installed itself) onto the test forum. I hit the admin link in the fototer, and wham... 404 page Problem is I didn't check the admin access or the forum before adding easymod. But it was working fine last time I looked, and the forum itself is working fine as well.

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  2. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    Oh & I should add that I love phpbb my forum has over 18,000 pages indexed, so you just gotta love software that is that good, that easy to use, a great support setup, and best of all is free!

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 19, 2005 IP
  3. Henny

Henny Peon

Best Answers:
    I like vBulletin and PHPbb, but in my book simplemachines is the easiest, unless of course you have a HUGEMONGOUS site like DP then I would go with vB

Henny, Sep 21, 2005 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    Well you will be glad to know that easymod is up and running and is ok as well. Now if they could only bring out something to add the tables to the mysql databases I will be happy. ;)

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you've got the latest edition of EasyMod, OWG, it does that too... the last two versions can automatically process any SQL statements in the MOD.

Now, the next time there's an update, you can install the MOD version automatically: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?cat=48 (you may sometimes have to wait up to 24 hours after the initial release of the update but it's worth the wait to skip all those board-destroying typos).

And let's pray nothing happens to Acyd Burn... :eek:

minstrel, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  6. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    I downloaded the latest version.

I tried to install the cashmod, but it looks like something else is clashing with it, as I am getting a critical error message :(

Cashmod mus not be compatible with the latest version of phpbb, as the code it is saying it can't find, was only ever touched by me during the last security update :(.

Shame, as I wanted the cash mod to add the sports betting mod (it is a rugby forum and would have been fun)

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  7. Superior

Superior Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think MYBB is best free forum software just like VB. huge features but no attractive skins avilable this time.

Superior, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I seem to recall some problems mentioned at phpbb.com with that MOD, though I've never had a need for it myself.

I usually read the skinny on a MOD before I install it... give the smoke time to clear and wait to see what problems arise.

The one time I didn't do that the MOD seemed to install smoothly and about a month later I discovered it had been blocking Googlebot. That was a short sharp lesson in not being impetuous...

minstrel, Sep 21, 2005 IP
  9. medusa

medusa Peon

Best Answers:
    I did more research and decided upon SMF.

So far it is good and I have started liking the features.

I even found a theme (smfaqua) for SMF that has some features similar to those seen in vB. It has the same dropdown searchbox and quicklinks features of vB.

You can preview my forum - Mediscuss: A medical education forum here...

Would like your comments on the features there and the customization to include adsense.

medusa, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  10. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I run cash mod on my forums. What's the issue?

RectangleMan, Sep 26, 2005 IP
  11. medusa

medusa Peon

Best Answers:
    IN the beginning I asked for the best free forum software. Then I got many advices. Now I have given my view... after experimenting with many free forum softwares.

i am using SMF on my site here.

medusa, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  12. vbgamer45

vbgamer45 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looks pretty good. I like the ad placements.
    Enjoy SMF.

vbgamer45, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  13. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    SMF does look pretty functional. And I almost clicked on the ads a couple times while navigating around. Since they were on topic they look like another category. I wonder if that may be hugely annoying to regs though? Do you have the option to not show certain blocks or whatever its called to registered users? ...just wondering for my own benefit. If you can build a community I'd say you are on to something. Those ads sound high paying.

Visually it's a little disorienting with no anchor points. My first instinct was to try to scroll up to see the header, but I was already there.

When clicking Home or search etc. there is a dotted outline box. Is that the scripts doing? I won't have nightmares over it or anything, but it is kinda squaresville.

That's a much shorter list than when I criticize my sites!

I don't know about simple machines track record or if there is a helpful community for the script...Guess I need to go exploring .

jazzylee77, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  14. srijit

srijit Peon

Best Answers:
    site looks almost like DP, but its good. Simplemachines does have a lesser history of bugs ( which some might say, due to being not as popular as phpbb ). however the most annoying thing ( for me, atleast ) about phpbb is the there is no sub-forums. how the hell can i properly maintain my forums without it? SMF atleast has this out of the box. also easy-mod is not the maggic bullet for phpbb. i tried to install a few approved mods and the second one broke my board. the reason, the mod before that modified files that the 2nd one needed. so unless you manually mod it can be a hassle.
    dont get me wrong phpbb is great, but i think smf might be better. :)

srijit, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    If you want it, install the Categories MOD.

Absolute nonsense. If the first MOD made changes "that the second one needed", EasyMod would have generated error messages when it tried to install the second MOD. Besides, EasyMod generates backups of ALL files it modifies so it's easy to reverse any changes. All you need do is install a MOD and thoroughly check it out before you bull ahead and install a bunch more.

minstrel, Oct 31, 2005 IP
    jazzylee77 likes this.
  16. jazzylee77

jazzylee77 Peon

Best Answers:
    Minstrel is all over it! If I ever have a problem with phpBB, I'll just start a thread saying phpBB can't do this.

I know...sounds sarcastic, but it's a compliment.

jazzylee77, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    In that case, thanks! :)

minstrel, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  18. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Any word on the Easy Mod issues with 2.0.18 :p

yfs1, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    As of last night circa 1 am EST, they had not yet released a validated EasyMod version but were working on it.

This is a major update and judging from the problems people who rushed to patch are having I advise people to hold off until the EasyMod version is released. There are a LOT of files to edit and a lot of edits to be made. It's easy to make an error if you're doing it manually.

Generally, an EasyMod compatible version is released within 48 hours - I expect it will come available some time today.

minstrel, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  20. brandondrury

brandondrury Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been using the simplemachines forum for about a month on a new site of mine. For whatever reason, I like it better than phpBB, but I can't explain why. I know that's a poor reason to give. Maybe it's more intuitive.

However, when I wanted a mod similar to the "cashmod" I ran into all sorts of problems. It seams to suffer from the same fate as vBulletin and maybe other forums. When the forum software is updated everything goes to crap and the new mods don't work.

After reading this thread, it appears that phpBB has a solution for both of these. I may give them a try again.

Brandon

brandondrury, Nov 3, 2005 IP